Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Any hobby shop owners/employees???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 08:31 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Any hobby shop owners/employees???

I sold my TLT to a girl in California last week and when she got it, she says the thing doesn't run, sounds funny, etc. Well it was perfect when it left but she's not too happy for some reason. After a little talking to her, she says the spur gear is stripped and I need to pay for a hobby shop to fix it. So I'm wondering.....how much would it cost for a hobby shop to swap spur gears on a stock trans, stock frame TLT crawler. I don't want her telling me $50 labor when it is a 10 minute job. I tried to explain it is easy to do but she wants a shop to do it. PLEASE let me know what you would charge to do it or if anyone else has any input, it would be appreciated. Tim.

She is in Redwood valley CA so if any of you have shops up there, you'll probably be getting a call from her today.
xjnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I called a couple shops around here and was told $5-10. They aren't familiar with TLTs though, mainly nitros. Thats why I'm asking you all. Is that out of line for the job??
Old 12-20-2005, 08:52 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

LOL next time dont sell **** to a chick..............

What da hell is hard about changing a spur gear? One damn screw or atleast thats what my maxx has only one screw...

I say send her a new spur gear and let her pay for the install....

Id personally tell her to go to hell but thats just me
bulletproofcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:57 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Usually we are more than happy to help them with something quick like that, if they buy the parts from us. During a busy time, such as this holiday season, we generally don't do repairs, there is just too many customers in the store. If they just want to drop off their car and have us fix it, it is generally $30 an hour, minimum of an hour, and the cost of parts.
billy gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:53 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

If it was here fault for stripping the gear then you don't need to do anything.

Or you could replace the gear to be nice but i would in no way pay for the repair.

So who's fault was it that the gear stripped.

my .02.
Xtreme RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:08 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Tell her that when it was sent it was in good shape, but since your a nice guy you will send her a new gear or money for a gear but it is here responsibilty to get it installed. If she cant change out a simple gear, then she is going to be a pain in the but and constuntly calling and saying there is something wrong, just because she doens t know better
donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

$30.00 an hour damn.

Send the gear to her and say thats all your gonna do.
My shop does 5/10 bucks a hour , depending what guy is working the repair room.
RodyRazorBackc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:32 AM   #8
Powered by Awesome

if she cant fix it... tell her to send the rig back.. give her her money minus the shipping (cause she is in over her head) and send her butt to wall mart to buy a nylint and call it a day. chicks

this chick is in wwwwaaaaayyyy over her head. Just remember, you are not her warranty department. Just because she broke it does not mean that you have to fix it.... I'm tellin ya... W A L M A R T
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:11 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

Our shop charges $30 an hour, first hour is mandatory but we usually dont charge more labor than that. If a "repair" is able to be done on the counter without clogging up sales we wont charge any labor just as long as the part is purchased from us. I would supply her with the new gear $3 your cost or so, and call it a day. I would assume if she isnt able to fix it herself or willing to try she needs to get out of the hobby!!!!!!!!!! Most hobby shops will go " do you have the manual....yes, ok look at it and figure it out, thats how it was built by someone else so you should figure it out also."
Grape Ape !!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I'm just waiting for her to tell me its gunna cost $50 to fix it. Unfortunately she has me by the sack cuz she'll leave me bad feedback if I dont make it right. I wouldn't be too worried if I wasn't about to sell a FJ-40 on Ebay, but since negatory feedback could kill that deal.......... I dunno. I'll probably pay pal her $20 and call it good. any more than that and she can ...............I'll keep my mouth shut. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:45 PM   #11
Adilynsdad too!

Talk dirty to her and get her phone number. She sounds like a keeper, she's from California!
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodyRazorBackc5
$30.00 an hour damn.

Send the gear to her and say thats all your gonna do.
My shop does 5/10 bucks a hour , depending what guy is working the repair room.
We charge $30 an hour to "encourage" people to work on their own cars. It is after all a hobby. Isn't that part of the hobby, fixing what you break?
billy gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:19 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy gunn
We charge $30 an hour to "encourage" people to work on their own cars. It is after all a hobby. Isn't that part of the hobby, fixing what you break?
I hear that . Point taken.
RodyRazorBackc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:22 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

To change a TLT spur, you have to pull off one of the chassis plates, since the spur goes through the chassis and it's a nice tight fit.

What do you want to bet that it's really the belt?
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I was thinking the same thing but she says "it is the big black gear that is stripped out. It just grinds against the gear off of the motor when trying to go up-hill. It should be able to make it up a small rock being a 4x4 truck. Right when it hits the incline it won't go anywhere and it makes an awful noise because the gears are not matching up. I don't think this could occur in shipping, you can see where some of the teeth are worn down on the sprocket. I don't really know how to work on these cars that's why i bought one already done. If i fix it i will have to take it somewhere, I don't think i should have to pay to fix it. SO either i will return the car or you can get the bill to fix it. Nicole"

nice, eh?? the only grinding it ever did when I had it was the belt slipping. We'll see when I talk to her tonight.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:27 AM   #16