Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: pismo opened my eyes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default pismo opened my eyes

Ok I have been trying to figure out how to make a capable crawler and something that will still be fun at the beach and flatlands. After a weekend at the dunes i have come to the realization that...nope, not going to happen. SO once I get my maxx all crawlered out I think i am going to make the jump to nitro.....yes I know I am on the wrong site for this but I also know alot of the crawlers started out in the speed side. I am thinking of the Jato or the Revo I am leaning to the Jato, it is faster out of the box and is sleaker giving me a contrast to the big truck crawler. The only thing I dont like is it doesnt come with reverse. But how much do you use reverse when you are bashing around. Which comes to the Revo, I like clearance and reverse but I kinda want something diffrent than another monster truck. Any input suggestions, other options?
donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2005, 12:20 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

First of Pismo is one of my faviorite places to go with the family and go duneing. My father was born in San Louis Obispo in 1917 and his asshes were spread by me three years ago in the ocean at Pismo. We clammed in the 60ties as a kid at pismo.
Now on to your question sand is killer to RC Emaxx, Tmaxx and Monster GT all have reverse built into them. You will need to clean and replace bearing a lot to make it work.
RandyatBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:31 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yea really sand and bearings don't mix well @ all .
RodyRazorBackc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:38 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Do you want 2X4 or 4X4? My Revo with sand tires is too much fun, but a lot of clean-up. I've run my RC10GT's and Nitro Rusty with sand tires. They're fun, but push BAD, do not want to turn under power.
Off road the Revo rules, and does well on road with the right tires. I would go with a Revo or T-maxx.
Madcratebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcratebuilder
I've run my RC10GT's and Nitro Rusty with sand tires. They're fun, but push BAD, do not want to turn under power.
Off road the Revo rules, and does well on road with the right tires. I would go with a Revo or T-maxx.
Exatly and exactly.

2wd in the sand sucks because it wants to push so much. You can't really dice it up with a 2wd like you can a 4wd.

The Revo is an awsome truck, very stable off jumps and is very fun.

If you plan on taking huge jumps and bashing the **** out of it I would recommend a ladder frame monster truck like the savage or even a MGT. The Revo was designed for the track not 20' jumps and the chassis will bend when beaten on.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:52 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

THanks guys that is the input i was looking for. I know that maintence will be high after fun on the sand but that is true with my 1:1 truck everytime I run a trail I have to go thru the hole thing checking bolts wiring changing fluids and repainting the under side, so that I am use to that. I realize that a 2x4 will push when i am on it, but will it be any diffrent than when I am driving a dune buggy or a quad. is it even worse with a rc car
Old 12-27-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong
I realize that a 2x4 will push when i am on it, but will it be any diffrent than when I am driving a dune buggy or a quad. is it even worse with a rc car
I think it's worse then a dune buggy or quad because the RC is so light in the front it does not dig in and provide traction at all.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:55 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
Exatly and exactly.

2wd in the sand sucks because it wants to push so much. You can't really dice it up with a 2wd like you can a 4wd.

The Revo is an awsome truck, very stable off jumps and is very fun.

If you plan on taking huge jumps and bashing the **** out of it I would recommend a ladder frame monster truck like the savage or even a MGT. The Revo was designed for the track not 20' jumps and the chassis will bend when beaten on.
Posolutely and absitively
The MGT is a nice truck. I had to put a bigblock in my Revo to keep up with my friends MGT. I think it handles better than my Revo also.
If you look up "push" in the dictionary it shows my Rustler, in a drift to the right, with full left lock. 2X in the sand has 10x the push of a 1:1
Old 12-27-2005, 09:08 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I think the new HPI Baja would be sweet with some paddles on the sand. Pretty scale as well.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:48 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo
I think the new HPI Baja would be sweet with some paddles on the sand. Pretty scale as well.
$1025, that's gonna be hard to get by the ball and chain. Go buy one Franky and give us a full report
Old 12-28-2005, 09:53 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

The wife wouldn't mind. No Hobby shops around here have one in yet. I still would like to see it in person prior to getting it. I want to know if the 40 series paddles will fit.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:32 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the replys, So there is a big diffrence in the push of a 1:1 rig compared to a rc. I think I am going to go with a revo and then maybe big block it if I want more power. But that wont be for another couple of months till get the crawler were I want it. And of course by then some thing better will come out and I will have to rethink the hole thing....you got love this hobby
Old 12-30-2005, 10:12 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I have different oppinion... I have a t-maxx that I have put paddled on and run out in WhiteSands and it was stupid awesome! But I have found that when I ran the nitro rustler with SandPaws in back and a modded front tire (like a Mohawk) upfront the thing will push yes but you get better takeoffs and I personally think that 2wd it a butload more fun then 4wd in sand!

my 2 cents...
RockRevolver is offline   Reply With Quote