Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: My real Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default My real Bronco

Been doing some work on the 1:1 snow/camping/mud rig. I don't like driving my Integra in the winter unless I have to, so I splurged a bit on the Bronco.

It's a 1988 Eddie Bauer, C6 trans, 351W, 2 1/2" Pro Comp Lift, 33X12.50/R15 Pro Comp Mud Terrains (Love,) Skyjacker shocks and stabilizer, 3" Exhaust from catback, no muffler. In the process of doing the lift, I discovered that I need some new tie-rod bushings and ball joints, so those and a full fluid swap is next. Trans, transfer case and diffs are getting new juice tomorrow, if I feel like doing it lol.

You can see the dent in this one. That'll be my project this spring....
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Who's your Daddy-0!

My 88 EB Bronco, the $$$ pit! On 36's, 456 gears, 4" sus/3"body.
Attached Images

TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

my dad used to have an 88 EB edition

12" lift and 39.5x15x15 boggers

i loved that truck...even though it was a ford...
wish he hadnt sold it
ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

ummm why arnt you running a muffler? sure it sounds cool and loud but your killing your low end power band
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey View Post
ummm why arnt you running a muffler? sure it sounds cool and loud but your killing your low end power band
Doubt it, from the description, I'm guessing it still has full length exhuast, and with a cat still in there, they don't get too obnoxious.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:

can you explain why? I'd really like to know. The only thing i see is that a muffler restricts exhaust flow. if not using them effect bottom end wouldn't dragsters, nascar's etc. use them?
eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
Who's your Daddy-0!

No exhaust could effect back pressure. But I know quite a few guys that just run straight exhaust with no muffle, loud as hell though!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eron View Post
can you explain why? I'd really like to know. The only thing i see is that a muffler restricts exhaust flow. if not using them effect bottom end wouldn't dragsters, nascar's etc. use them?
Pretty sure the back pressure from a muffler helps bottom end power, but ive never cared to find out, because i love the sound of a muffler.

I say take off your cats and weld in some nice original 40's
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eron View Post

contrary to what people think an motor needs back pressure to have peak performance. there a whole equation to figure out what exhaust is best bassed on motor displacement, exhaust tubeing size and the rpm range that you wat to make power..

when you talk about dragsters they are running hufe displacement motors with huge blowers on them, and running at high rpm, so for them they have to basically run no exahust, so they can get as much fuel in and exhaust out as possible. gotta remember that on street drivin truck your gonna need to make power from from idle. race cars / drag cars are basically idleing or wide open, so there power band comes at a high rpm so they need to get as much exhuast out as possible.

inflames is right, your much better off to remove the cat (or put in a highflow one depending on emissions controll in your area) and run a muffler

Last edited by ultimate_monkey; 12-30-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:

inflames is right, your much better off to remove the cat (or put in a highflow one depending on emissions controll in your area) and run a muffler
Far too many variables to just say that. Optimizing exhuast pulses and scavaging are much better things to work on than focusing on just backpressure.

That aside, Nice ride!
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

agreed there is alot more to it then just BP, i ment is as that a cat becomes cloged over time and will overly restrict BP, but a muffler can aid in BP and wont become cloged

and i guess i never did mention, i like the ride, i was just curious as to why no muffler was being run
Old 12-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Here is my 68 Bronco, talk about a money pit!!! 351 Windsor stroked to 377, C-4 trans, Dana 44 up front with disk brakes, 9 inch 31 spline rear, power steering, power brakes, long travel susp..... Would not trade it for anything in the world though.
Attached Images

Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
I ran 3" pipe from the cat back, it sounds great and I didn't notice any loss in low end at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
Doubt it, from the description, I'm guessing it still has full length exhuast, and with a cat still in there, they don't get too obnoxious.
Correct sir, it does sound good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
No exhaust could effect back pressure. But I know quite a few guys that just run straight exhaust with no muffle, loud as hell though!
Nah, it's really not at all. Nice low rumble to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlames View Post
Pretty sure the back pressure from a muffler helps bottom end power, but ive never cared to find out, because i love the sound of a muffler.

I say take off your cats and weld in some nice original 40's
No need for it, it sounds great right now and polutes less than it would with no cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
Far too many variables to just say that. Optimizing exhuast pulses and scavaging are much better things to work on than focusing on just backpressure.

That aside, Nice ride!
Thanks!

Quote:
agreed there is alot more to it then just BP, i ment is as that a cat becomes cloged over time and will overly restrict BP, but a muffler can aid in BP and wont become cloged

and i guess i never did mention, i like the ride, i was just curious as to why no muffler was being run
Because the stock exhaust literally fell off, so for $35 I ran 3" from the cat back and it actually came out sounding great and it was a cheap fix!

I'll see if I can get a vid clip of how it sounds, it's not a loud ass redneck truck, I can tell you that right now.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote