Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Subaru Legacy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Subaru Legacy

Any of you guys own one? Looking at getting a second car since the Jeep is just about paid off. This will be my DD and all around cruiser. I'm not looking at the 2.5GT models or anything fancy, just the N/A 2.5 versions with an Auto. I've test drove a couple before and they ride great and handle extremely well.

I haven't looked at any of the Legacy forums yet, but am going to continue my research. If you have one, post up what you like, don't and maintenance on them.

Thanks.

* Going to add that I'm looking at the 2004-2009 models.

Last edited by 2JSC; 01-07-2010 at 04:24 PM.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

While mine is older than what you are looking at, I have a 2000 legacy GT with a naturally aspirated 2.5 with a 5 speed that is my daily driver. So far I really like it. I stayed away from subarus for a long time. I didn't have anything against them but I test drove a couple of them that were pathetically underpowered. Then I bought one this fall to save a little fuel over driving my truck all the time. I had to get the 5 speed, while it is not a powerhouse it is WORLDS better than one with a slushbox.

I am really impressed with it though, it does live up to all the hype about how well they handle the snow and ice of wintertime up here in Montana. This one has alot of life left in it at only 107k on the odometer, but when it does die I think it has inspired me to buy a WRX sti that I can knock the stupid looking wing off, debadge, and turn into a fun little sleeper.
cuzican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I'm not worried about it being a race car. The Jeep and RC's get the "go fast" money.

Have you had any major mechanical problems with it? I know they've shared prety much the same motor for the last few years.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Gettin’ back on the horse

I had a 2006 Impreza WRX for a little while, the funniest, best handling vehicle I have ever driven. really responsive, powerful, and made me smile on a daily basis. I drove the hell out of that car, granted I only had her a month, I had no problems. (financing fell through).

I will definitely be getting another one.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'd love a little sporty WRX, but I'm just looking for a cruiser, something basic. Plus the premium fuels and this and that... just don't want to deal with it. Still considering a newer Impreza wagon (non-WRX) but I like the look of the Legacy a bit more, especially with a slight drop and some decent wheels.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
RCC Addict

When I was workin on cars for a living up til last summer we had a couple customers who had Legacy wagons they bought new and brought them in the shop every 3k miles for their oil changes and regular maintence. Last I saw them they had well over 200k miles and never had any major work done to them. I was very impressed and think I might buy one for my next DD.
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I've owned 2 Subarus. One WRX and a STi. I put about 40K mi on each. In my opinion Subaru is hard to beat
awd199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Legacys in those years are solid, actually 05 to 07 is what the new (08+) WRX and STi are basing much of their frame on.
Imprezas are just slightly smaller in 98-07 compared to the Legacy...still many parts are similar.
Outbacks are part of the Legacy line...with a suspension lift of 1.5" I believe. Very solid choices in the wagon.
The older Forester's turn tighter than a Chevy Aveo...very nice cars.

All Suburus N/A or Turbo...they like their maintenance done on time and truthfully and thats all they want. Timing belt every 80-90K miles, oil changes often and they last and last. They usually rust out before the engine and trans start heading south in salt heavy states. Also always replace the crush washer on the oil drain plug, very cheap but re-use almost always leads to leaks and quickly.

Problem with all Subarus is trying to find a used one. People tend to not let them go often or cheap.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

i got an outback sport. had a legacy gt. my next will also be a subaru
robbio4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

They make great sand rails.....
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Legacys in those years are solid, actually 05 to 07 is what the new (08+) WRX and STi are basing much of their frame on.
Imprezas are just slightly smaller in 98-07 compared to the Legacy...still many parts are similar.
Outbacks are part of the Legacy line...with a suspension lift of 1.5" I believe. Very solid choices in the wagon.
The older Forester's turn tighter than a Chevy Aveo...very nice cars.

All Suburus N/A or Turbo...they like their maintenance done on time and truthfully and thats all they want. Timing belt every 80-90K miles, oil changes often and they last and last. They usually rust out before the engine and trans start heading south in salt heavy states. Also always replace the crush washer on the oil drain plug, very cheap but re-use almost always leads to leaks and quickly.

Problem with all Subarus is trying to find a used one. People tend to not let them go often or cheap.
Funny you mention Foresters. Was looking at them today too. Something about a low-profile "grocery getter" that I like. I love the looks of the 03-08 models with a little drop in them. I just going to have to drive a few more before actually starting to hunt for one. It's good to know that they are pretty solid vehicles as far as longevity. God knows I've abused all my Jeeps over the years, but I do tend to take a little more care of my TJ.

Thanks for the info BT.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I love my 09 Outback! Actually my wifes. It's the XT though and I know you aren't looking at those but the car overall is great. My only gripe is the soft skin on the doors. You can push a dent in with your finger.
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I own a 2000 legacy GT auto. Besides replacing a CV joint i haven't had any problems.
If you can, get a stick shift.
The 2000-2003 models have been known to blow head gaskets around 100k which can be expensive.
So be sure to check if the car you're looking at has had the fix done already or not and figure that into your purchase price.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
I own a 2000 legacy GT auto. Besides replacing a CV joint i haven't had any problems.
If you can, get a stick shift.
The 2000-2003 models have been known to blow head gaskets around 100k which can be expensive.
So be sure to check if the car you're looking at has had the fix done already or not and figure that into your purchase price.

I was gonna mention this too. There were a couple of years that left the factory with cheap crappy head gaskets that would start leaking early on in the vehicle's life. But once they are replaced with a better gasket they are good to go for the rest of the rig's life. You also definitely want to keep the timing belt replaced on time as the subi's are an interference engine meaning that if the timing belt breaks the valves will hit the pistons and you'll be replacing or rebuilding your engine. Another thing is while you have it apart to replace the timing belt you might as well do the water pump at the same time because once you have it taken down to do the belt, its just a few extra minutes to swap the water pump each timing belt change.
cuzican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzican View Post
You also definitely want to keep the timing belt replaced on time as the subi's are an interference engine meaning that if the timing belt breaks the valves will hit the pistons and you'll be replacing or rebuilding your engine. Another thing is while you have it apart to replace the timing belt you might as well do the water pump at the same time because once you have it taken down to do the belt, its just a few extra minutes to swap the water pump each timing belt change.
Yeah I was reading about the motors yesterday. I've dealt with interference motors before, one of which was a 94 Neon I had for about 3 months. Drove it for 2wks before the belt snapped, rebuilt it and sold it for a profit.
What a POS that car was lol.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Got a 2002 Legacy Outback Limited Edition. About 150k on it right now. Had a few things that had to be done; one of the head gaskets had to be replaced. Now my turbo is starting to make some noise at about 4k rpm's... but with my current projects, the car has fell off the priority list as I know once I get my house and other things done, it will get replaced.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote