Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: teach an old dog knew tricks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006, 05:06 PM   #1

Default teach an old dog knew tricks

recently the opertunity to go back to school has opened up for me.what sugestions would some of you make for someone who feels like they may be in over there head?i think i may persue some type of trade at the local tech college,but i would still have to work a full time job at the same time.is it possible?
liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

An English 101 class may be your best bet.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Tech jobs a fading quick, because the industry is advancing so fast.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
CSR
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb
An English 101 class may be your best bet.
Maybe Elementary Spelling and Grammar......

It's possible to work full time and go to school. Most college and tech schools offer classes in the evenings if you work during the day.

I start evening classes in two weeks..... I'll let you know how it goes. ;) I work 40+ hours a week, sometimes as much as 60 hours. It's gonna be tough.

I went to work in a factory when I got out of high school. I wasn't interested in college then..... my primary focus was girls, and beer..... those things require money. So I thought "OK, work at this crappy temporary job 'til I figure out what I want to do with my life".

A couple years went by, I married one of those girls that I had spent my time and money chasing. She went to college, I continued to work at the dead end factory job. Six years later she graduates with her Master's Degree.

OK, the wife is out of school with her degree, she'll be making big money soon, so now would be the perfect time for me to quit my job and go to school, right? Nope. She was pregnant with our son when she graduated. We needed my health insurance for the medical bills..... not to mention the mortgage, car payments, credit cards, student loans, etc.

So we're both making decent money, chugging right along. We're getting caught up on bills and it's looking like we'll be able to make it on her income alone....... found out we were pregnant again. Baby girl this time.

My daughter turned three in August. My son is five. I'm now 32 years old...... still working at that "temporary" factory job.

I had a pre-mid-life crisis breakdown late last year. I overheard a shift supervisor at work tell another employee that " this job isn't for everybody"..... that got me thinking..... He was right, that job isn't for everybody, and it's not for me.

I want to make a difference, I want to help people, I want be remembered as someone that had an impact on someone else's life....... not just a guy who helped the corporation make another dollar. I want to be rewarded for my efforts. Not just a paycheck at the end of the week.... I mean recognition, a "Thank you for helping me get well" would mean more to me than a paycheck.

I decided to pursue a career in physical therapy. I volunteered last week at a rehabilitation clinic......(class requirement.... I have to have 24+ hours of observation time.) I worked with the physical therapist all week for free, didn't make one cent, but felt like I did more there in a week than I have done in 14 years at my other job!

So, in short..... Yes, go to school. You can do it. Do it for yourself. Going to work is not a job if you like what you're doing for a living. ;)
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

depending on your town, heating and AC repair can be a great job. Or, master electrician. I am thinking of getting master electrician in my spare time. I like the juice.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:28 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I work in the heat/ac/plumbing field(s) and i can tell you from experience we're not going anywhere. Doesn't matter how advanced anything gets, it's going to break and somebody is going to have to fix it. My dad has worked in this trade for nearly 20 years now, and 4 years ago started his own business. Two years (and a half) ago i graduated school and wanted nothing to do with college, so i went to work with my dad. To this point we've grown almost out of control, business up nearly 40% every year. This year we grossed over a quarter of a million, just the two of us. So its definitely not dying out. It was slow this spring, but it picked up real quick.

To cut the story short, do what you feel is best, but damn don't pass on the opportunity if you can handle it.
Zapper2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Well,theres not much of a trade school for my trade. You can't build a machine to take my job and there will ALWAYS be a need for a block or brick to be laid somewhere.

I get the satisfaction of building schools for kids to learn,hospitals to heal people,houses to keep people warm.........

and offices to keep all the lazy office workers warm and in the dry.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:02 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I don;t go to school . I work 3 jobs and sleep when my head can;r be supprted by my neck . I like money so I would say do what ever you think you can handle . Don't spread yourself to thin and fail at both things.
RodyRazorBackc5 is offline   Reply With Quote