Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: CNC machines make me horny...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@vp View Post
ok, do you filter ? that is question im asking but is getting over looked.

one arc movment can be broken into 100 or more line segements, or you filter, the filter flips the program with work plane g17/g18/g19 and writes a simple arc movement as a XYX IJK move in one line, this can reduce a single pass on a part from a 1000 LINES TO 1, 10 OR 100

but if you just select surface and say go, yea you can write a program way too big, and say hey i wrote the biggest 3d program in the world, when it didnt need to be...
I guess I don't "filter" I do however trim out as many splined surfaces as possible to achieve as smooth a surface as I can.
Does "filtering" reduce cycle times ? Or does it just make a shorter NC code?
I have found that doing EVERTHING I can in 2D and then only useing 3D tool path where necessry is the most efficiant,would you agree?
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #42
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Dave View Post
Does "filtering" reduce cycle times ? Or does it just make a shorter NC code?
it depends on your movement increment, your controls look ahead and the machines ability to keep up with the control.

if your machine ever seems to stall out while spoon feeding, then filtering will make a big difference, fadal and hass do come with decent controls compared to a stock fanuc om type control. but a fanuc 15m or better with 250 or 500 line look ahead pretty much smokes most machines throughput. filtering also makes 3d movement smoother for the machine, if a arc is broken up into hundreds of parts the machine has to calculate start and end and tengency of the following moves, including acceration and deceration for each line segment. filtering will also fit an arc into a spline within a predetermined tolerance. if your part is not critical accuracy wihich most 3d project dont seem to be (.0001) i know moldmakers get very picky as they should.

bottom line, filtering makes machines faster, parts lightly smoother and use much less memory,
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote