Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: How about anyone fighting depression

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #41
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanantrdsc View Post
The thing we all need to do from now on (since you started this) is for us to discuss problems we are having when we need someone who gets it, who listens, and understands. We just need to make a commitment to each other to be there. I dont think we can sticky it, but we need individual threads, because each person has their problems, and we should not just toss them in some sort of psych soup.
Not a bad idea.

I will post one more peice of advice though...avoid online public "dealing with depression" forums like the plague. They are nothing more than festering boils of self loathing and ill will. Terrible places.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

soo i think i should add a little bit to this, i hope rat reads it!

i was diagnosed with MAJOR AND MINOR clinical depression! plus add plus a bit of bipolar. i went and had tests done down in houston blah blah this and that been dealing with it since i was 10 im 24 now...

BUT IM DOING ALOT BETTER!! even with a shitty relationship and a crappy job and no money im still doing better than i was before

things that helped
WELLBUTRIN!!! i dont know if you tried this trype of anti depressent but it worked wonders for me in highschool i lost 40-50 pounds taking it. and it really brightend my day up it also helps to stop smoking cigs. they end up tasting like crap and make you feel ill. and since your overweight and smoking this should really really really! help if you havnt tried it id recomend you go to your doc and at least talk about it and see what you can do. just dont get the generic you need the brand name wellbutrin

the other things that helped is smoking pot the right kinds of pot some will give you a low and some will give you a high there are a few strains out there that will eleviate the symptoms associated with depression. and in most cases when you are in the depths of a horrible downward spiral of self loathing smoking a little bit will help you see the bigger picture and life as it truley is. bob marley noted this effect and its why he called it wisdom weed. there is a slight chance that smoking alot will cause more depression but this is something you can be in control of.

some mental notes to understand as well and things that helped. is to relize that happyness is not caused by outside factors. everything that effects your life you are in control of how it effects your emotions. everything might suck but lets face it life isnt really that bad! when you go and ride your "hawg" you can appreciate the beauty in life. this is key you need to relize how much good is in this world! turn off the tv go play with your kids elimiate those negatives and focus on the positives try to fill your life with things that inspire your passion to live.

finding a hobby like art, crawling, riding that wll helps b/.c when you succeed at your craft it automatically creates those endorphen rushes

another thing you can do that i've only resently begain is eating your way to happyness, there is a book out there with that exact title that will for sure help you out!! hell even a breakfest in the morning will give youa nice boost to start your day

and after you start eating healthy and give up smoeking cigs (remember you can vaporize marijuana and have all the good none of the bad) exercise will really really help just getting oxygen in your blood stream will chear you up make your mind sharp and give you the strength you need to overpower your bad thoughts

remember its your head!! your incontrol of your mind! dont let it control you!

dont let anything stop you from your right to love and happyness not even your self!!

so i realy hope you read this and take what i said to heart.

IF I DIDNT FOLLOW THESE STEPS I WOULD NOT BE HERE TO TELL YOU ABOUT THEM!!!! and my family would have to visit the ocean wear my ashes wear spread if they ever wanted to see me again this is the truth
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Give some physical activity a shot, even if it is just a brisk walk. It is amazing how little the brain works when the body is shouting.
This plus your diet.

Don't eat ANY fast food. Stay away from it. Eat more natural foods and get some physical activity in your life. After about a week or two, things start to change.... trust me.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Extreme, pot is out of the question PERIOD!

I hold a class A comercial drivers Liscense and drive a Semi Truck for a living. Most all Trucking companies, including mine, do random drug screenings. I have been picked 3 times in the last three quarters.

I used to smoke it back in Jr high and early highschool. I don't touch the stuff and have my opinions, that I am not going to share, on it. End of discussion on that particular subject.

But just finished a 14 hour day of driving etc and have to hit the shower and the rack to do it again tomorrow.
Rat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:18 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

As someone who has long battled severe depression, I'm gonna give you the best advice I ever got.

Get uncomfortable.

Take a risk, something that seems impossible.

Depression can kill, and the only solution I have found that works is to find something, anything that pushes you to your limit everyday.

I understand your feelings, normal people think "hey, he's got five kids, a nice house, new cars cool toys... he's got plenty to live for"
But the truth is (and you and I may be the only to that get this) it doesn't help, it doesn't even matter. Sure, you love your kids and your wife... but really, they just don't play into the equation in your head.

Its like this ominous feeling that tracks you, follows you every where you go and in everything you do.

Trust me bro, you are not alone.

Me and my kimbers have had many long eye to eyes,

I understand what you want, your not asking for happiness, or all the best, you just want to wake up one day and feel normal, wake up and not hurt, just wake up. But you can't.

I won't say it gets better, hell meds never helped me, neither did shrinks, or anything else I tried.

The only thing that has ever worked for me is to find something that would challange me mentally and physically, something that forced me out of my nest and drove me to push harder.

Hobbies might work for you,

Me, I started my own buisness. I took everything I had, put it all on the line.

Trust me, you'll swim.

If you ever need someone to talk to, ever, just shoot the shit, or unload on. Email me. Ill give you my number and we'll talk. Flywireless01@gmail.com
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Don't eat ANY fast food. Stay away from it. Eat more natural foods and get some physical activity in your life. After about a week or two, things start to change.... trust me.
solid advice, depressed or not.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat1 View Post
Extreme, pot is out of the question PERIOD!

I hold a class A comercial drivers Liscense and drive a Semi Truck for a living. Most all Trucking companies, including mine, do random drug screenings. I have been picked 3 times in the last three quarters.

I used to smoke it back in Jr high and early highschool. I don't touch the stuff and have my opinions, that I am not going to share, on it. End of discussion on that particular subject.

But just finished a 14 hour day of driving etc and have to hit the shower and the rack to do it again tomorrow.
ahh no worrys, i understand i work DOT so i have to limit my use to once a month but the fear is always there. all the other advice i hope you consider tho regardless of that option
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

just checking back in with ya dude seeing how you are doing !
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Rat1, I understand where you are coming from, and all the others that struggle with ongoing chronic depression.
The guys have given lots of sound advice and suggestions, I hope that you are doing a little better, knowing there are people who care and struggle with similar issues, one of the best things is to talk about it, and get input from folks who can understand.
I too have been dealing with some severe issues since the 1970's, stemming from my combat experiences during military service, after many years of looking at life through the bottom of a liquor bottle, trying to escape terrifying memories and the worst nightmares, reliving the worst things you could imagine on a daily basis, decades before anyone realised that PTSD even existed. I came to terms with my demons by talking to other veterans who could understand where I was coming from, doing this helped me kick the booze ect. ( been sober for almost twenty years now), and take life one day at a time, I know that sounds kinda cheasy and cliche', but one step at a time, is how I still manage to keep my sanity intact.
The stress and anxiety of having been unemployed since last Aug. with the financial worries and so on, have caused a few recent night-terrors, but now I have learned to cope with the help of my family, my wife used to get very upset to see me in such distress, but now she wakes me up and we talk about it till Iv'e calmed down and can rest again.
Anyway, this is not easy for me to talk about to strangers, but if it helps you to know that there are some of us who care and have some understanding of what you are dealing with, I don't mind.
We are all here for you, whenever needed.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymin last View Post
Anyway, this is not easy for me to talk about to strangers.
if i may add, we are not really strangers. just friends, who share a common interest that haven't met yet.
robsdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #51

I have extreme depression and Anexity- sometimes panic attacks. I have this horrible habit of pulling out my hair- on my head,eyelashes, and other areas excessively. Xanax and Lexapro have made me feel normal- for the first time in years I actually have eyelashes growing in. I don't care what people say about the negative effects of xanax- I persoanlly know I needed it. I feel like the nightmare of my mind has been treated.

http://www.xanaxalprazolam.net/

Last edited by subject180; 02-25-2011 at 12:26 AM.
subject180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #52
RCC Addict

You mean there's more of us?

I was a troubled youth and parents weren't helping. Drug and alcohol abuse was the norm, my baby sitters boyfriends would teach my brother and I how to weigh drugs and how to use a swtchblade and this was our Tuesday nights.

I was homeless at 14 and I've raised myself as best I could with the support of my aunt and grandparents but I wouldn't ask for help. Help was for a weak man.

Fast foward to today and my strength and confidence has been shattered as most of my childhood friends are dead or in prison and I've had extremely close calls myself. Died twice, stroke at 19, and numerious head injuries from bmx, skateboarding, snomobiles, and car wrecks. Things just weren't working out.

I hit rock bottom. I don't think there is a drug I haven't done. I have od'd off plenty of these but I always had "friends" promise to not bring me to the er. I was more comfortable knowing I would die in a ditch covered in my own stink.

I don't know what triggered it but I knew I wasn't myself and I had to find that place where I was content in life. Somewhere I could call home. The next thing I knew I was at a youth center that took care of me as a kid and filled out the forms to start volunteering. It was a GREAT three years! I felt like myself again. Better actually!

Aaannnndddd then the buzz wore off and I'm now feeling worse then I ever have. I'm a table tennis coach that lays in bed all day trying to help through Facebook or txts but there's only so much I can do like that. My grandparents health is failing, fast, and I'm doing my best to help them, but again, I just can't leave my bed.

The nightmares I have while trying to fall asleep are insane and very real and they transfer over to my sleep so Im tired. A lot. I have day dreams of accidently cutting my fingers off and each time, very real. I have never been one to kill myself as I have been a paulbarer for two best friends that shot themselves, but making a cop shoot me hasn't been out of the question. I don't like cops for the most part so I figure it's a two for one.

To help this I have tried self medicating and found nothing helps. I'm on Seroquel and Cymbalta and I can't say I approve of either. The side effects out weight the reward. Councleing starts next month and for the first time in my life Im going to listen to a shrink with an open mind.

Wish I could help more instead of dumping more shit on the pile, but I gotta say I'm glad we all can have a hobby and a problem worth talking about.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat1 View Post
So how about it. Is anyone fighting Depression?

Absolutly no ambition to do anything. Get them thoughts all the time. You know what I mean.
Depression, is that what they call it now? My parents called it being lazy.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject180 View Post
I have extreme depression and Anexity- sometimes panic attacks. .....Xanax and Lexapro have made me feel normal- ........I don't care what people say about the negative effects of xanax- I persoanlly know I needed it. I feel like the nightmare of my mind has been treated.
Panics attacks suck @#$!. Xanax or most of the Benzodiazepenes do wonders to calm you down. Yea, they have negative effects, but so does anxiety, and panic attacks. Nothins free in life, but the pros far outweigh the cons. Lexapro can pull you out of that pit. It can cause anorgasmia, which kinda sucks, but theres always Wellbutrin and Zoloft. Zoloft is cool cause it treats both, though its not as strong as Lexapro, but has less side effects.

That nightmare in your mind, is just a stupid chemical called serotonin.
Nice little neuro-transmitter, that cannot be measured in any test. Works in the sleep cycle, your sense of well being, energy levels, muscle and neural function, etc. When the levels get to high, you get anxiety, when they get too low, you get depression. So the fun is to try and balance it all out.

Brother, I know your pain, and I am so happy to hear that the treatment for your nightmare is working. That is so fantastic.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Anyone know or hear from Rat1? I have PM'd him a couple of times, but no response. Worries me a bit.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
You mean there's more of us?

Dude, 25% of the population has it! That means that 1 out of 4 people on this board, statistically speaking, are on the same road we travel.

To help this I have tried self medicating and found nothing helps.

You cant self medicate, its like tossing nitric acid into glycerin, shaking it up, and hoping it doesnt explode.

I'm on Seroquel.................

Thats scary crap. Thats rhino tranquilizer strength stuff. I pill scared the hell out of me! They have been giving that #&%$ to our combat servicemen to help them sleep. A 6 month supply! Then they wonder why guys run out, or why there are a bunch of addicts, or some people with PTSD, or some of the psychological casualties.

Councleing starts next month and for the first time in my life Im going to listen to a shrink with an open mind.

Good luck my friend.

Wish I could help more instead of dumping more shit on the pile, but I gotta say I'm glad we all can have a hobby and a problem worth talking about.
Dont ever apologize! For people going through this, all they ever see is there own #$% pile. They often dont realize that others have them too. Each person has something to contribute, something we can learn from, and something that can pull our minds away from our problems, and help someone with theres.

I say this, in honesty, concern, a little fear, and love (no, not that kind!). I think you should really talk to your doctor about checking into a facility for treatment. The combo of the psychological problems, past drug issues, OD's, flat lines, stroke, concussions, etc., has hammered your head big time. There could be many things at play here. As far as the ideas, dreams, statements you have/made, you are not in a good place, and you cannot get past this alone. Dont just let this guy give you more drugs and call it good. If he wont help, then you need to find away to get into a facility, gather all the courage you can, and admit yourself.

BTW: SINCE THIS HAS COME UP AGAIN, WE MIGHT AS WELL KEEP IT ROLLING. SOME OF US CAN DO SUPPORT GROUPS OTHERS CANT. SOME FIND IT HARD TO TALK ABOUT THIS CRAP WITH OTHERS. GUYS WE ARE JUST AVATARS BEHIND A SCREEN AND MONITOR. HOW AMNY OF US KNOW EACH OTHERS NAMES OR FACES. THIS IS ABOUT AS ANONYMOUS AS IT GETS. THIS CAN BE A CIRCLE OF CHAIRS, THAT WE CAN ALL COME TO, AND LAY OUT OUR BURDENS. I ALSO THINK THAT IF YOU HAVE NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH THESE PROBLEMS, OR ARE REALLY NOT HERE TO HELP, PLEASE DONT POST

Wanna piss off people that have cancer, or have had it? Tell them, "Oh, I know/knew someone with cancer!" if that is the case. Many are going to be thinking whats your point @#$hole, what the hell do you know, youve never walked the road, youve never worn these boots.

So for those of us with anxiety/depression problems, walk in our shoes, walk this road in our shoe!

I will finish with this joke - sorta, but its true, "our problems are all in our head"! Yup, and they are damn real, they are tangible, they hurt like hell, and they are physical. Dont ever let anyone get away with telling you to relax, cheer up, and the like. Its BS, ignorant, stupid, insensitive, and many other things, and it would be really nice to give people like that a kick in the head, or balls, well okay, how about both?!

Last edited by entropy; 01-29-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #57
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Dont just let this guy give you more drugs and call it good. If he wont help, then you need to find away to get into a facility, gather all the courage you can, and admit yourself.
Agreed. It takes more than medication to overcome or at least maintain some sort of balance in some people. Not all doctors support the same kind of treatments, so if you don't like what he's doing, look around for another, especially if he's only loading you up with pills and sending you home.

Having said that, getting the proper medication is a bit of a trial and error process and can take some time. Each person is different, so each person needs their chemicals tweaked in a slightly different way. Sometimes its one pill that does it, sometimes its a cocktail.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
Depression, is that what they call it now? My parents called it being lazy.

Interested to see what others think about this.....
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Thank you entropy for your very real answer. Duuuuuuuude (sp?) thank you for your time as well. Extended thanks to those I haven't mentioned.

I have a good network that I think I can get adjusted to the change but I'll get me figured out starting Monday.

I just got on 100mg seroquels and I'm not liking the change in my muscle control. It's only been five days but it's taking a toll, and come to find out it's common for these muscular issues to be incurable. Also on 60mg of cymbalta and lorazapam, clonazepam, and klonopin are taken like candy.

This is the eighth or ninth med change in the past ten years as my body seems to build a tollerance pretty quick. I'm weaning off some thing but not with permission from my primary doc. He has labled me as PTSD and won't give me the ok to work in Iraq. High risk is all I know, but I understand his position.

Something tells me Rat1 is a survivor so I'm putting him in the ok catagory but Rat1, if your reading this, people do care. Maybe putting sharp objects away is best right now.

As far as the ignorant comment, I won't respond.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Been fighting it for years. I realized one day that I can't leave this world so early. It's impossible. So, I deal with it.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote