Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: How about anyone fighting depression

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
Interested to see what others think about this.....
agree
traxxas4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
Depression, is that what they call it now? My parents called it being lazy.
you sir are an ass
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

It's interesting to reading about peoples experiences and dealing with depression.
I have a slightly different dilema though, my teenage child has been struggeling with Bi-Polar and major depression for a long time, since elementary school, to the point where she is now recieving home bound schooling, and T-Boss therapy (where the therapists visit her here at home) and nothing, not even all the meds they have prescribed, seems to be helping much.
Today she had a major breakdown, and was Baker Acted for the third time, there is now talk of placing her in a state run residential care program that could last up to six months or more, this is heartbreaking for our family, my wife can't stop crying and I'm beside myself with worry of what will become of my precious little girl. I'm exhausted and can't sleep or relax , thinking of her being all alone and not tucked in her bed here at home, it's driving me nuts.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymin last View Post
It's interesting to reading about peoples experiences and dealing with depression.
I have a slightly different dilema though, my teenage child has been struggeling with Bi-Polar and major depression for a long time, since elementary school, to the point where she is now recieving home bound schooling, and T-Boss therapy (where the therapists visit her here at home) and nothing, not even all the meds they have prescribed, seems to be helping much.
Today she had a major breakdown, and was Baker Acted for the third time, there is now talk of placing her in a state run residential care program that could last up to six months or more, this is heartbreaking for our family, my wife can't stop crying and I'm beside myself with worry of what will become of my precious little girl. I'm exhausted and can't sleep or relax , thinking of her being all alone and not tucked in her bed here at home, it's driving me nuts.

What is the underlined? What is "state run residual care"? And do you have a say-so in the matter?

Sorry to hear your family is going through this..
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #65
RCC Addict

Quote:
I think Skeeno is a low life peice of shit I'd like to vent some of my anger beating the shit out of. That would probably help my depression for a hour or two. I actually reported the post shortly after it went up and deleted a nasty post I left in reply, I see his is still there though.

A big thumbs up to those brave enough to talk about thier problems in open forum, I can't even hardly dicuss my issues with those close to me, they get some, but never all.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #66
RCC Addict

The only thing that comes to my mind is family, family, family.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What is the underlined? What is "state run residual care"? And do you have a say-so in the matter?

Sorry to hear your family is going through this..
Baker Act:
A voluntary Baker Act admission occurs when a person 18 years of age or older, or a parent of a minor, applies for admission to a facility for observation, diagnosis, and treatment.

An involuntary Baker Act admission occurs upon a finding by a court that (1) a person is mentally ill and, because of the mental illness, he/she has refused voluntary placement for treatment or is unable to determine whether placement is necessary; (2) he/she is incapable of living alone or with help, and without treatment is likely to suffer from neglect or refuse to care for him/herself, or there is a substantial likelihood in the near future that he/she will inflict serious bodily harm on him/herself/others as evidenced by recent behavior; and (3) all less restrictive treatment alternatives are not appropriate.

"state run residential care", she is now being held for 72 hours observation, the Psyciatrist will see her in the morning and make the determination. If she is declared a ward of the state, we have little or no recourse to reverse their desicion.
Thanks for your kind words, it means a lot.

Last edited by caymin last; 01-29-2011 at 09:18 PM.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Agreed. It takes more than medication to overcome or at least maintain some sort of balance in some people. Not all doctors support the same kind of treatments, so if you don't like what he's doing, look around for another, especially if he's only loading you up with pills and sending you home.

Having said that, getting the proper medication is a bit of a trial and error process and can take some time. Each person is different, so each person needs their chemicals tweaked in a slightly different way. Sometimes its one pill that does it, sometimes its a cocktail.
Dude is so on target!

A lot of docs do pharmacology only. Thats all fine and great, but if they arent doing any therapy, finding out who you are,what you are etc, its like Dude says, "loadin you up with pills and sending you home". That does little, and can make things a whole lot worse (and Im talking really bad).

Be your own advocate. Learn about what you are diagnosed with. Learn about the medications. Be careful what you read. If it is not from an online journal. medical institution, etc., its probably crap. Avoid these sites where everyone complains or praises these drugs, and says what they did or didnt do with their drugs, how they decided to quit taking them, they didnt like the way they felt, etc. On some of this stuff, we have to live with some side-effects from our meds. Given that they are not too bad, there are some, where the side effects are not acceptable, and it doesnt matter what anyone says. If you cant function in certain ways w/o meds, then you take meds, and you can function in others ways, does that mean its working or worth it?

(+1) + (-1) = ?

yup, there you where, and there you are!
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Baker Act:
A voluntary Baker Act admission occurs when a person 18 years of age or older, or a parent of a minor, applies for admission to a facility for observation, diagnosis, and treatment.

An involuntary Baker Act admission occurs upon a finding by a court that (1) a person is mentally ill and, because of the mental illness, he/she has refused voluntary placement for treatment or is unable to determine whether placement is necessary; (2) he/she is incapable of living alone or with help, and without treatment is likely to suffer from neglect or refuse to care for him/herself, or there is a substantial likelihood in the near future that he/she will inflict serious bodily harm on him/herself/others as evidenced by recent behavior; and (3) all less restrictive treatment alternatives are not appropriate.

"state run residential care", she is now being held for 72 hours observation, the Psyciatrist will see her in the morning and make the determination. If she is declared a ward of the state, we have little or no recourse to reverse their desicion.

Thats a crock.

All the best to you & yours...
Old 01-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
@#$hole!

That was an 110% unbias comment and yet you trivilize over what? Your feelings??

I simply asked to know what others thought about the statement.

And for the record, there are a lot of people who get up with depression everyday & still drag their ass to work.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That was an 110% unbias comment and yet you trivilize over what? Your feelings??

I simply asked to know what others thought about the statement.

And for the record, there are a lot of people who get up with depression everyday & still drag their ass to work.
Sorry dude, I didnt mean you, I meant the person that made the crappy comment - Skeeno. No reflection at all on anything you said.

Last edited by entropy; 01-29-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
Depression, is that what they call it now? My parents called it being lazy.

Quote:
Skeeno, he's an @#$hole, thats what I think.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
thank you entropy for your very real answer. Duuuuuuuude (sp?) thank you for your time as well. Extended thanks to those i haven't mentioned.

You got it! Anytime, here or via pm, i live in front of this machine, well not really. Seriously if you need an ear, shoot me a pm and we can shoot the #$%@ as you need.

I have a good network that i think i can get adjusted to the change but i'll get me figured out starting monday.

i just got on 100mg seroquels and i'm not liking the change in my muscle control. It's only been five days but it's taking a toll, and come to find out it's common for these muscular issues to be incurable. Also on 60mg of cymbalta and lorazapam, clonazepam, and klonopin are taken like candy.
This is the eighth or ninth med change in the past ten years as my body seems to build a tolerance pretty quick.

Yup, thats real easy to do on these drugs, and thats a lot of candy my friend

i'm weaning off some thing but not with permission from my primary doc.

as far as the ignorant comment, i won't respond.

You are a better man than i!
onward and upward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielk View Post
Been fighting it for years. I realized one day that I can't leave this world so early. It's impossible. So, I deal with it.
Alright! We all occupy space guys, a space, that if we leave, can never be filled. That space will always be there, will always be remembered, and the world will be that much less, because the one that filled it is not there.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Skeeno, he's an @#$hole, thats what I think.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
I think Skeeno is a low life..........

A big thumbs up to those brave enough to talk about thier problems in open forum, I can't even hardly dicuss my issues with those close to me, they get some, but never all.
Skeeno's a piece of work.

Anyway, we all got issues man, you can discuss them with us! We are just a bunch of nuts, in a small life-raft, in a huge ocean!

Guys, no disrespect on the "nuts" thing, just a moment of brevity, sorry if it rubbed anyone wrong. I assure you I speak of what I know, and I know of what I speak.

Heres a cancer joke or 2.

Guy has testicular cancer, loses his left nut. Since the guy is a hardcore conservative, his wife calls him a right-wing nut. My wife is so precious.

Guy has testicular cancer. Dudes mom, is one of those prim an proper ladies. Never anything ill-mannered out of her mouth. One day after she has gotten fed up with her son calling chemo "weed-killer", she decides that her son is right, and that she needs to chill out about it. Humor is needed at times when the subject is of a sensitive nature. So get this,
for some bizarre reason, she decides that the remaining nut needs a name, or reference. Shocked the hell out of me, when my mother called it my "man-berry"!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #77
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

she is now being held for 72 hours observation, the Psyciatrist will see her in the morning and make the determination. If she is declared a ward of the state, we have little or no recourse to reverse their desicion.

Caymin, I dont have the words. Having no kids, I cant even fathom.
All I can do is pray, and I will.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #78
Defy Gravity

thanks to whoever dug this thread back up, i'm in the same boat as a lot of people in this thread. i was diagnosed with severe depression at around 15, put on meds and told to go home. after a bad day, i spent a week in a hospital getting told everyday that i needed more/better meds. after this i'm not a big fan of them or the way they make me feel at all, at least not the ones i've taken (celexa and prozac). its been a tough few years here, my former boss and mentor was found dead in his house, gun shot suicide, and also one of my fraternity brothers from the same fate. my father also passed this last summer from a stroke, and, well, thats just not very easy for anyone to deal with. another thing was cutting off half my hand, getting it reattached, and going through months of physical therapy, and still fighting it today. there are nights i sit with my shotgun and think that i could, but thankfully never have. now, not all has gone to shit, 2 years ago i found my wife, who i love very very much, and i still have my mom and my brother for family, but sometimes its just too much. today is one of those days for me, my father was a trucker and i handed over the title today. not something i was looking forward to, but had to be done. with my wife gone in military training its just hard to vent to anybody. i'd like to thank the rccrawler community for being a place that a guy can talk and not really get judged too hard, and for being a fun place to waste some time.

Last edited by ghtpdm5; 01-29-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: forgot somethign
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #79
Quarry Creeper

ghtpdm5,

My friend, right now the best thing to do is to give someone you trust, your firearms. The thoughts alone can be really frightening, but when the thoughts occur while handling a gun, you are on the razors edge. That situation is too delicate, and if you stumble, thats it. Stick close to family and friends. Dont bottle stuff up either. Talk to the family, a doc, us (if thats any help).

Something to think about:

Suicide is the most selfish, chicken#@$% thing a person can do. People that do it or try, think it will solve everything, it will all be better. Suicide leaves a path of destruction of the likes that one cannot imagine. Friends, family, co-workers, acquaintances are left behind with this huge crater, that may as well have been left by a nuclear bomb. As bad as it was for the person who "erased" themselves, those left will suffer far worse. Always wondering why, what did we do, what didnt we do, why couldnt we have stopped it, on, and on, and on, and on it will go for the rest of their lives.

Anyway, if I may ask, what branch of the service is your wife in, and what will she be doing - this ties in with stuff, so it is relevant and important.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #80
Defy Gravity

thanks entropy, my gun isn't anywhere near me now, i have been learning. my wife is active army, i'm very proud of her, just a bit hard without her some days ya know. it was tough to depend on someone and have them be on the other side of the country. its a lot better than basic though, a daily phone call to bitch and moan is better than maybe a weekly one. and as for the doctors, not happening till we get stationed, eta on that mid to late march, simply because its a long referral process to go through with the health insurance, but i do plan to see one asap after moving in. i realize that it is selfish to think about, but sometimes it feels like the only option, even though i know there are others. just a voice telling me to, and that nothing i do matters for shit in the world is all i have going in my head, all day.

Last edited by ghtpdm5; 01-29-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: spelling
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote