RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   Any Jerky masters here? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/23155-any-jerky-masters-here.html)

jason 01-12-2006 03:32 PM

Any Jerky masters here?

I am looking into starting to make my own beef jerky, anyone here done it before? Anyone here a jerky master?

Anyone got any pro tips?

badger 01-12-2006 03:34 PM

Great idea Jason, I am actually building a Jerky web site and could use the tips!

ILoveRCRockCrawlin 01-12-2006 03:35 PM

Yeah, go to the store and buy some :flipoff: . Just playin'.

If you do make Jerky, you're going to sell it to us, right?

SlammedMini469 01-12-2006 03:38 PM

store bought jerky SUCKS. i have never made my own, but some friends have, tahts the only way i will eat it....i prefer beef jerky, not "made from tongues and foreheads" :lol:

Emaxximuss78 01-12-2006 03:53 PM

1. Get a good quality dehydrator.
2. When you buy the meat make sure it is a good quality that has little fat on it an a strait grain.
3. you can cut it youre self or have it cut at the store. I have mine cut about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch long.
As for a good seasoning I usehigh mountain jerky jerky mix.
It has all the spices you need plus some perservitive.
Its easy to use you follow the mixxing chart by the weight of the meat. X lbs means so many table spoons of part a and B
Then you spread it on the meat an let is sit 24 hrs to soak in. after that you put it on the dehydrator tills its as dry as you want it. You can use this mix to make the jerky in a oven if you like but you have to keep an eye on it that way.
hope this helps

Unimoger 01-12-2006 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badger
Great idea Jason, I am actually building a Jerky web site and could use the tips!

that is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time on RCC......:lol:

John Deere 01-12-2006 05:42 PM

I make Beef Jerkey and Sale it at school. I sale it faster tha nI can make it most of the Time it real easy do do with a couple dehydraters you can do it pretty quick. Cut the meat thin place it some moores dales what ever you wnat I make my own stuff, and slap it ont the dryer and then let it go over night. I love that stuff and store bought does SUCK. I would get a roast of beef and do that over the tenderlon don't use that. Or if you could contact a butcher you could a hind quarter or even some front shoulders are nice. Use a fish fila knife to cut the meat it faster than using a normal knife. Trust me I make about 30 punds a week. Takes alot of my time but it makes money. Anything I could help with just let me know I will be more than happy to help yall.

EeePee 01-12-2006 06:32 PM

I've done deer jerky for about 4 years in a row. I use a dehydrator, it works better than the oven.

It's as easy as pick a flavor and go with it. Marinade for hours in worschteshireshire sauce, or soy sauce, or Italian dressing, and spice it like crazy, dry rub it, dope it with BBQ sauce. Seriously, whatever.

thaclodking 01-12-2006 06:34 PM

Here you go, this is what I use. It will do roughly 5-6 pounds of meat. If you value the integrity of your rectal cavity or you don't do spicy food, adjust the quantity of habenero peppers to suite your taste--or just stay away from this recipe.

3 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
6 Ounces liquid smoke
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
6 whole dried Habanero chilies finely ground :twisted: :twisted:

Slice the meat 1/4 - 3/8 thick and mix all of the dry ingredients together and coat the meat evenly. Place all of the meat in a large bowl with a tight sealing lid giving each layer a light spinkle with the liquid smoke. Cover the meat and place it in the refrigerator for 24-36 hours. Use the dehydryting method of choice and you're good to go.

I think it goes without saying, but keep you're hands way the hell away from your face and eyes when dealing with habanero peppers, even when dried the oil in them can transfer easily to the skin.

JasonInAugusta 01-12-2006 06:45 PM

Everybody's got jokes today. :lol:

The reason Jason and Badger started this thread is 'cause we wanted to do goofy type of "How-To" for the mag.

Apparently everyone in the office drew straws or some crap...I think Greg actually got the shortest straw so naturally he called me and told me that I'd won. :mrgreen:

So I did the article but most of it was about making my favorite snack...beef jerky.

I rummaged through years of track photos for stuff to use, found one of a large Craftsman screwdriver stuck in a jar of mayo. Used that as a "Pro Tip". :lol:

Anyway, that's why this thread was started. I'm sure neither Jason or John gives a chit about making jerky...just wanted to jerk my chain...fawkers. :lol:

So...a big :flipoff: to the admins. :mrgreen:

CustomCrawler 01-12-2006 06:51 PM

I've had some homemade goose jerky before. By far the best jerky I've ever had.

Zapper2003 01-12-2006 06:52 PM

I just use my hands. No sauces or dehydrators or ovens needed.

I don't know where you guys get off on using sauces. And who wants their meat dehydrated? :roll:

SlammedMini469 01-12-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapper2003
I just use my hands. No sauces or dehydrators or ovens needed.

I don't know where you guys get off on using sauces. And who wants their meat dehydrated? :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JasonInAugusta 01-12-2006 09:24 PM

What he's not saying is that he eats it too! :lol:

SlammedMini469 01-12-2006 09:26 PM

im crackin up over here :lol:

JasonInAugusta 01-12-2006 09:33 PM

:mrgreen:

FrankyRizzo 01-12-2006 09:49 PM

I am the Jerky Master!

Don't you forget it! :flipoff:

badger 01-12-2006 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
making my favorite snack...beef jerky.

Do you have any tips on making circle jerky?

FrankyRizzo 01-12-2006 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badger
Do you have any tips on making circle jerky?

Sit on your hand till it falls asleep. I call it the stranger.

JohnRobHolmes 01-12-2006 10:37 PM

WHAT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo
Sit on your hand till it falls asleep. I call it the stranger.

YEAH!