Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: My last visit to a LHS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default My last visit to a LHS

So on my way back from getting the tubes for my 60 I stopped off at a LHS (not for me--I live in the sticks) to see if I could find a different pinion so I could make this damn TLT-1 crawl somewhat til the pede/lathe combo gets here. So I paitently wait, look at some stuff as the guy works on some dual motor/battery high speed thing/customers wanting to add this and that. Now granted I was in my shop grubs but still. The guy never even once acknowledged I was even there while he went on grabbing bags of this and that to put on this "go fat" things(as you can tell I don't care to go fast--fawk that ).. Is this a common problem? Do you have to get in "good" with these guys or is he just an azz? (one other time it was a go fast nitro pile of crap ). So after about 10 minutes I said fawk it and went home to get my new bling for my wheeler put together...

rant off(and will stick to on-line ordering from now on)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

But the other guys story is the complete opposite.

I learned a trick not long ago. Walk over to the salesmen and tell them you want something. One of the local shops here is like that. They'll great ya hello, then you're on your own. I waited about 5 minutes then walked over to them and just asked if they're gonna help me and take my money or just fawk off all day. So now when I go there, I walk up to the counter and butt my way in and speak up. Then talk trash to the cashier about the their bad service.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
RCC Addict

ya gotta luv the LHS. I was told that trinity didn't make the stick battery building kit anymore. I can't wait to show the guy the ones I ordered (trinity) when they come in.
The morons in Redmond just want to push their slot car gig.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:54 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
But the other guys story is the complete opposite.

I learned a trick not long ago. Walk over to the salesmen and tell them you want something. One of the local shops here is like that. They'll great ya hello, then you're on your own. I waited about 5 minutes then walked over to them and just asked if they're gonna help me and take my money or just fawk off all day. So now when I go there, I walk up to the counter and butt my way in and speak up. Then talk trash to the cashier about the their bad service.
+1 hobbytown usa here in tampa is that way...

i ordered hpi geolanders months ago and i never got a call that they came in so i've gone up there and said" wheres my $hit?" several times...sooooooo..... thsi past saturday i went up there and said" if you guys can't get my **** i'll go elseware i'm tired of this ****!!!" in front of about 20 people buying **** there...phuck that shyt!

BTW... after i made a shink they went behind the r/c counter and ""found"" my tires...they said" they must have forgot to call me" there was dust on the bags!!!

_Jason
STR8_UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I have always had that problem at Hobby Town. I showed up early there a few times, me and my dad were the only people in the store. They barely acknowledged we were there and it seemed to be a chore for them to look up from the magazine behind the counter and take my money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE
ya gotta luv the LHS. I was told that trinity didn't make the stick battery building kit anymore. I can't wait to show the guy the ones I ordered (trinity) when they come in.
You gotta step out of Redmond then, Fantasy World Toy-Hobby (Tacoma) has people tripping over other sales people to help half the time. And they're moving to the place Hobby Town was before they deserted us south sounders.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:15 PM   #6

I had the same issues every time I went into our hobby store. if it doesn't go fast they wouldn't give me the time of day. when I did get someone to talk to me it was always "sorry, I don't have that in stock, but I can order it"
so I just use Towerhobby online. I save Tax and they always have savings if I order over a certain amount. Shipping is quick, as long as it would take the lhs to get them, and delivered to my door, don't have to spend gas up and back twice.
sllimj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I'm glad the LHS I go too isn't like that. I have only been once, but I got asked a few times if I needed help. I was just looking around for some bodies and what else they had.

But what do you expect with some country guys running an RC store for the last 20 yrs?
CuriousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE
One neat thing I gotta see a couple things in person that I only have seen on the net....
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:08 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

even tho the hobbytown i go to sucks everytime i go in with my rig everybody flocks to take a look and ask questions...

some even ask the r/c guy at the shop to order one for them(crawler)...lol...

and still they suck!!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab
One neat thing I gotta see a couple things in person that I only have seen on the net....
slot car tracks are like pogs... they come and go! i raced slot cars for years and one day they all were gone....
Old 01-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #11
06 Super National Champ

I work part time at the local Hobbytown.

I can usually answer most any question. If I can't answer it I don't even pretend.

If I don't know "You're gonna make me lie to you" is my answer.

Folks respect honesty.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #12
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8_UP
slot car tracks are like pogs... they come and go! i raced slot cars for years and one day they all were gone....
Phil's in St. Pete still runs slots.

6050 Park Blvd, Pinellas Park, FL 33781
(727) 545-1251

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 01-16-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #13
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8_UP
even tho the hobbytown i go to sucks everytime i go in with my rig everybody flocks to take a look and ask questions...

some even ask the r/c guy at the shop to order one for them(crawler)...lol...

and still they suck!!
The one on Dale Mabry?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:25 PM   #14
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
Phil's in St. Pete still runs slots.

6050 Park Blvd, Pinellas Park, FL 33781
(727) 545-1251

yes but the track is only 15ft long and is flat....= sucks....

i raced at sunshine r/c hobbys, town n country speedway, extreme raceway,phills, hobbytown usa not the one now but another one years ago diff. owners, and all over florida and ga.... USRA...IROC.... i raced box stock 15, group7's, pro flexi w/slot works chassy...
Old 01-16-2006, 09:27 PM   #15
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
The one on Dale Mabry?

yep.... that one just opened.... there was one on dale mabry futher north years ago... they had the slot car track...
Old 01-17-2006, 06:08 AM   #16
I joined the Band!

I am waiting for adam F and Twisted Creations to pipe up about how much the service at a LHS in CINCI sucks......I dont get the service I want there!!!!!! Its hard to service yourself!!!

The Problem with hobby shops is...
We deal with guys who go online and want USELESS BLING,
"go fast" products that weigh 10lbs too much to actually help but they have to have,
when employees have a customer they are the center of attention for better service,
Employees are hard to come by, pay someone $8 an hour and expect them to know a lot

IF YOU NEED A PART BRING THE PART # WITH YOU, we can help you better and it makes your trip quicker.

REMEMBER our biggest supplier owns Tower Hobbies so its not a good Idea to mention thier name.

I have worked with and experienced great customers and customers that knock down your back shelf with spray paint, tv, radio and all kinds of glues,lubes, connectors stacked on it AND THEN offer to clean up their destruction tomorrow if you pay them (no lie it happened)

I like 70% of my customers and of the 30% remaining Go out of my way to get stuff for 10% and detest the other 20% due to lasiness and describing their car as the on road one!!!
Grape Ape !!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:03 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape !!!
IF YOU NEED A PART BRING THE PART # WITH YOU, we can help you better and it makes your trip quicker.
or at least bring the broken one with you to the shop.

I dont know how many times I have went into my LHS and the guy behind the counter has the "shoot me" look because the kid he is trying to help doesn't know the name of his car nor the proper name of the part he is needing. The guys at my LHS are sharp but they are not mind readers.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:22 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

While my area is what I would call "hobby shop poor" in the general sense of the term, the two shops that we have in our area are really great. And HobbyTowns are great, if they are run by the right people. The HobbyTown in my area is one of those great ones. I do know the mentality, though of some shops only catering to the "go fast" crowd or looking down on anyone NOT running nitro. Hell, the manager of HobbyTown is the one that partially influenced me to get into crawling.

Having a hobby shop that can actually HELP you makes the hobby more worthwhile. You get good customer service, you don't mind spending a bit more at the "brick and mortar" store, and you have a chance to BS with others who have similar interests.
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:43 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

my LHS laughs when I say I use tower as a referance guide then go to the shop and have them order the part.
flatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:50 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

just be glad you guys have a LHS to go to.....they closed down all the ones within 45 miles of here
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote