Old 03-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default cool new bike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X813eTuZJkc
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

So basically it's a bike that you don't have to pedal?:?

People are so lazy... why would I buy that when I could buy a real bike for cheaper, not have to worry about charging it, get some exercise and not look like a massive douche riding it around? Plus it just looks awkward to carry (and ride around for that matter).
Raguvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Seriously - it looks unstable and dangerous.

I hate things like this. It's worse than the Segway. :?
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:37 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

yes that bike is just odd..................but you all just dont understand...have any of you heard of the great John Robert Holmes...he is the owner of holmes hobbies and has built some sweet electric bikes....owning one of these bikes is not about being lazy and not wanting to pedal..its about when you get to your destination and not having to pay the meter...plus riding an electric bike is just plam fun
ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post

That thing does look scary, but the Segway is fun as hell to ride. I worked at a dealer that had them and we had a blast once we learned how to ride the thing.
BADASSPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

You have to admire the engineering that went into it. I think it's pretty impressive, but not something I would own. Maybe if I lived in a large city.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post

X2 I have to agree.
This is something I came up a couple years ago that's way more fun, some metalic conduit, an old bike and a 32cc Stihl brush cutter motor.

The best I got out of it was 37MPH, with the wind behind me, it's now in the hands of my buddy, who uses it to get around the small island he lives on, still runs great.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

That "bike" is strange looking, but would fit the needs of a "last mile" trip to your destination very well and at only 10 kilos it is lighter and smaller than most normal bikes. I would prefer a folding kick scooter for space reasons, but at least people are thinking outside the box.

Electric bikes don't serve the same purpose as a normal bicycle. Lazyness has nothing to do with it, you just ride the bike that is best for the situation. I rode to town on my pedal bike today, for fun and fitness. Tomorrow I will take an electric moped to class so I can average 30mph there and park like a normal bicycle at the front doors.

Off topic, but pedaling a bike is more expensive than using electricity for locomotion in super light EVs. At 20mph I get two miles per penny of electricy, cost of calories burned in raw sugar is still more expensive if I were to pedal.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Off topic, but pedaling a bike is more expensive than using electricity for locomotion in super light EVs. At 20mph I get two miles per penny of electricy, cost of calories burned in raw sugar is still more expensive if I were to pedal.
Now if that ain't science, I don't know what is.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

LOL that bike looks kinda homoish XD
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
That "bike" is strange looking, but would fit the needs of a "last mile" trip to your destination very well and at only 10 kilos it is lighter and smaller than most normal bikes. I would prefer a folding kick scooter for space reasons, but at least people are thinking outside the box.

Electric bikes don't serve the same purpose as a normal bicycle. Lazyness has nothing to do with it, you just ride the bike that is best for the situation. I rode to town on my pedal bike today, for fun and fitness. Tomorrow I will take an electric moped to class so I can average 30mph there and park like a normal bicycle at the front doors.

You could technically say you are investing in long term health which would lower the price of pedaling a bike.

And to be honest, the main reason I love biking is the feeling of accomplishment when I get somewhere, especially if the ride is really hard.

BTW, that bike would die here in Santa Cruz, going up hills. Battery life would suck.
Raguvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
You could technically say you are investing in long term health which would lower the price of pedaling a bike.

And to be honest, the main reason I love biking is the feeling of accomplishment when I get somewhere, especially if the ride is really hard.

BTW, that bike would die here in Santa Cruz, going up hills. Battery life would suck.
All very valid points! The cost of health is a big factor that is hard to pin a price on. I have a feeling that little "bike" wouldn't even get up some of the hills in your area. It is probably limited to 500 watts and doesn't have the benefit of gearing.

I don't look at electric bikes as a replacement for the standard bike though. Calling them Mopeds instead of electric bikes is a good way to look at it, although there are many grades of electric bike that couldn't hang as a moped.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

looks familiar...
Attached Images

engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I understand the need for electric bikes. There is a guy at work that bikes to work every day and I wish he would use an electric bike.
venom813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #15

I don't need them, as much as I like them. Something about blasting around downtown at 40mph completely silent, and being able to go places that bikes go (when i'm using pedal power of course).

My last build. Not so reliable, but it weighs about 60lbs with 6 horsepower and a 10 mile range. If I used MTB wheels instead of motorcycle I would drop another 10 lbs.