Notices

Thread: Interesting day at the LHS...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
06 Super National Champ

Default Interesting day at the LHS...

What a day.

The second I get to work I'm hammered.

A guy bought a brand new T-Maxx from us 2 days ago, brought it in saying "It won't run."

Figured it was normal break-in pains.

Took the truck outside, sat it on a concrete parking curb, fixed the needle settings he'd messed with and it purred just fine. Nice and fat on the top with a steady idle.

While tuning his Maxx he mentioned that he lived across the street from the local off-road track, which also has a on-road setup as well. Made idle chat with him while tuning his truck and forgot about it.

He also had another T-Maxx there. This was a used "deal" he'd gotten from some dude. It needs a piston and sleeve. Told him it'd cost him $50 for me to install a piston and sleeve...plus parts. (also told him that, considering what it'd cost to put a new piston/sleeve in the 2.5 he'd be better off getting a O.S. .18 TM)

So, he took his perfect running T-Maxx, left the used one with me to install the piston/sleeve and went home.

About 20 minutes later the phone rings at the LHS, Debbie the Register Girl answers, keeps saying "Hold on, I'll get Jason"

I pick up the phone and answer with my usual "Tech Department"

It's the guy...and he's FURIOUS!

Seems he got home, fired up his spankin' new T-Maxx and watched it run full speed across his yard and into the road...where it got ran over.

He's FUMING. Telling me that for what he spent on it he shouldn't have this problem, that his truck has been ran over, it scratched this woman's Expedition, she called the cops and is filing an insurance claim, etc.

Obviously...he feels that he did nothing wrong.

So I went through basic troubleshooting.

"Was your transmitter on?"

"Yeah"

"Truck was on?"

"YEAH!"

"Transmitter antenna extended?"

"Uh...yeah"

"Wait....you were at your house?

"Yeah, why?"

Then I reminded him about the two tracks that are "across the street", as he described them.

"But that's like 1/2 mile away"

So he goes on and on about how much he spent, "How much will it cost to fix my truck?", etc..

Told him to bring it in. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how much until I see it.

Time passes and this car comes whipping into a parking space in front of the shop.

I told the manager..."Here's our flat T-Maxx guy"

The guy gets out of the car, slams the front door, opens the rear door, yanks the truck out, slams the rear door, storms into the hobby shop and comes toward me while I'm working on another customer's car.

He gets in my face "I spent all kinds on money on this thing and the first thing that happens is...blah, blah, blah."

"My truck is broke, I gotta pay to fix it...gotta pay to fix this woman's Expedition, she called her husband and he came haulin' *** over, squealin' tires and ****!"

He was getting confrontational with everyone in the shop, including our 60+ year-old manager that is known for being the nice guy.

We finally got the guy to hand over the truck.

Damage?

Both rear bulkheads and the rear skidplate were broken....everything else was fine.

I told him it was less than $15 to fix the thing.

He kept droning about how much he'd spent and "How can someone else control my car? That's like someone else controlling my real car!"

I was in shock for a second...then I asked him...

"What controls these things?"

"The radio!"

"Ah, the radio."

"You ever drive down the road, listenin' to your favorite station, then start hearing some other station?"

Finally he started to realize what happened.

He said that he was cussing the girl who answered the phone, etc...never said he was sorry.

Quite the day.

Now I get to make another $20 off him to replace bulkheads and a skidplate.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
RCC Addict

LMFAO! At least that isn't as bad as hitting a deer.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

wtf....

she ran over his t-maxx and all it did was busted the bulkheads and skidplate? he shjould consider himself lucky and go on about his life.
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

don't ya love working at a LHS

as soon as you sell someone an item you've basically signed an unwritten contract that says, "anything that happens to this item is our fault, not the users"

It's absolutely rediculous how these people think.

A guy storms into our LHS with a gallon of Werks fuel saying that Traxxas told him that the fuel was bad, wanted a refund for used fuel

Another Guy burnt up his Dynamite Twin peak, told him he would have to go through the manufacture, gets in an outrage saying how we don't support our products.
We'll sir it's not our product it's Dynamite's anything that happens you have to deal with them.

They think we're suppose warrenty everything.

Another dumbass cracked his RB .23 revo engine open on the pavement after a jump, "can I get it warrentied"

I swear we get more people coming into our store to **** in our bathrrom than to buy a product...
sicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Next time say, "here is your sign!"
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:17 PM   #6
06 Super National Champ

It's crazy.

When the guy stormed in I was putting an O.S. .18 TM on a Revo for a guy. This guy does a large amount of photography for various NASCAR teams. He's good friends with Tony Stewart and recently destroyed a Custom Works Dominator due to radio interference.

After the T-Maxx guy left Rusty told me "You shoulda asked him if it was running good before it got hit."

A second guy came in (He's a regular but a nitro newbie) today and brought in his HPI Evo touring car.

Said his engine wouldn't crank.

His engine was siezed.

First thing I did was get the screwdriver and counted out loud as I turned the high speed needle in...

"One"

"...and 1/4"

"Welp, there's why your engine siezed up. You were running it too lean"

At first he tried to say he'd never touched the needles, that "Everything is exactly the way it was when you broke it in."

I pointed out several indications otherwise. Plier marks on the ball cup to the carb linkage, stripped screws in the engine mount, he'd replaced the fuel tank, fuel lines, there was NO air filter on the car, etc.

He admits he was trying to keep up with his bud's Jato.

So then we go through the whole "How much to fix routine." I tell him how much to fix, and how much the Dynamite .15 is that's in the case will cost him.

Then he asks...

"So which engine is better?"

I gave him the simple answer: "The one that'll run."

He's coming back tomorrow for the Dynamite .15.

He's a good guy, but he killed his engine trying to keep up with his buddy's Jato.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:30 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Two guys come in with a "bran' noo Jay-toe, just, bought it yestidday" and it's already fawked up. It won't run at all. Naturally they want a refund. In spite of the flashing neon sign that says NO REFUNDS. So out to the parking lot, spend five minutes dicking with the high-speed needle trying to get fuel into it, the whole time these two morons are saying "iss just' like it come outta da box, da way yall sold it," and I'm thinking Traxxas has really gone to sheeyat if they're selling trucks now with plier marks on the HS needle and glue on the banjo fitting and the fuel lines all de-routed. I unscrew the HS needle from the carb body, which is cracked (hence the glue) and discover that it's full of glue. Wonder why it won't run? I tell the guy flat out that it's gonna cost him $18 for a carb body, $15 an hour for me to fix it and no warranty because Traxxas doesn't "rig" trucks like this.

Wait, it gets better.

Back in the store, Idiot #1 takes his Jato junk and puts it back in the box, but leaves the truck out, goes wandering around looking at wheels, bodies, etc. while I look for a carb body for his busted truck. Idiot #2 buys some body clips and a fuel bottle from me. and asks a bunch of questions about why we won't warranty his friend's truck or give a refund. The NO REFUNDS sign is literally inches from his slack-jawed face at this point. Two more nitro newbie customers come up with questions that are less obnoxious, but still time-consuming.

Where's Idiot #1 & 2?

They've buggered off.

And the Jato we had on display has suddenly sprouted a massively damaged carb body, plier marks on the HS needle, de-routed fuel lines, and poorly applied stickers.

Yeah, nitro guys rule.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
And the Jato we had on display has suddenly sprouted a massively damaged carb body, plier marks on the HS needle, de-routed fuel lines, and poorly applied stickers.
Did you try to catch them?
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:48 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Goat, I'm no expert, but if they paid by credit or debit, wouldn't there be a copy of the transaction? If so, maybe the cops could use their acct. number to find them?

I dunno, just thinking.......

-WRM
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:40 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Got the plate number? I hope the display Jato wasn't their frequency, and then they bringi t in again. Or it's missing an engine or something.
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:09 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

The cops are already involved. They paid for the Jato with a rubber check.

And JIA, that's why we don't break in engines for people. We tell 'em RTFM, if you don't have time to learn about how the engine works during the break-in process, we have a nice electric Rustler we'll sell you that's virtually maintenance-free.

Last edited by microgoat; 01-22-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:45 PM   #12
06 Super National Champ

I've got the Maxx that was "ran over" here at the house tonight, also have his other Maxx here that needs a piston and sleeve...two touring cars that need engines installed...another NIB Revo that's getting a O.S. 18TM and JR XR3i...and a NIB HPI Racer 2 that is getting a rear exhaust .15.

See you guys tomorrow.

Goat, I do break-ins at the LHS with the customer.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:46 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
Goat, I do break-ins at the LHS with the customer.
damn, JIA, you've got more patience than Jesus.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Lol.. heres a funny story.. Similar to the missing Jato...

Guy walks in "browsing" or so he says. He asks to see the Tmaxx on display (fully cromed out, ya know, a billion and one dollar show truck) The employee hesitates and eventually pulls the truck out, per hobby shop rules (my bro used to work there, they suck) Guy's "looking at it" and around the store for HOURS literally, at least from 9:00am to 7:00pm (closin time) by this time NO ONE who was on shift when they brought the car out was there anymore. The black guy simply picked up the truck and says "See ya guys later, thanks for helping me with my truck" and walked out. Never cought him. Never bought anything. Never faced any security cameras (only 2 in the store)
PastryLikeDood is offline   Reply With Quote