Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Lack of Crawler Coverage in RC MAGS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Lack of Crawler Coverage in RC MAGS.

I noticed alot lately that RC magazines do not cover crawlers too much. Sure they will do a review of a new crawler, and do a test on it. and possibly cover some parts that are coming out. but compared to the Slash, Blitz, and other Race buggy's. Crawlers dont get much coverage. Everytime i Pick up an issue its loaded with Short Course Trucks, and AWD Buggies.

What you guys think? Sure RC Driver publishes a RC CRAWLER special ONCE A YEAR, but not much coverage in the month to month issues. I enjoy reading RC Magazines, but since im more in to Crawling as of lately the magazines have pretty much lost my business do to this fact.

This site is alot more upto date on ALL crawling aspects and products, Hands down, but to be shuned apon by the magazine industry is kinda bs.

In the last 6 months alone iv noticed more Slash reviews then one can handle that it makes me not even want one...i dont, but seems like alot of guys on here are even tradeing or selling there SC trucks to do some crawling...

We need to get some crawlers in the issues.

Thats Just my opinion, chime in if you think the same.

Thanks.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
0 0

ide rather have this site than articles in a magazine anyday
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
RCC Addict

That's because crawling is a fad. It will never catch on.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulus22 View Post
ide rather have this site than articles in a magazine anyday
X2
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
That's because crawling is a fad. It will never catch on.
yep, that's what they told me 6 years ago.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
RCC Addict

For how popular it seems (going by the membership # on this site and others) it still is a niche market compared to 1/8th buggies/truggies and Short Course (almost every track has a Short Course series). I wouldn't mind seeing more articles and whatnot about crawlers (scale or comp) in mags but this site has more info than a "regular" person would ever need, and I use the term regular loosly around here lol. I mean, they can't post videos in magazines of Redcats "cutting cookies" can they?
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
RCC Addict

There will be coverage of the Axial West Coast Championship in XRC.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon12 View Post
I mean, they can't post videos in magazines of Redcats "cutting cookies" can they?
Magazine subscription for a year or a green star at RCC. Tell me the entertainment around here isn't worth it.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Magazine subscription for a year or a green star at RCC. Tell me the entertainment around here isn't worth it.
i'm usually finished with a magazine after one pooping session. RCC is an all night thing
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulus22 View Post
i'm usually finished with a magazine after one pooping session. RCC is an all night thing
Me too.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Donkey Punch Champion!

Please contact "MattH" here on the board. He works at RC Car Action. Tell him.

As for RC Driver, JIA...left and has been out of that world for a while. We all miss him adding to their content.

There isn't any other mags is there?
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
Suck it up!

Untill you see dedicated crawler courses popping up across the country, you won't see too much media coverage. There's not enough $ in it for the magazines to put too much effort into crawling.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Well I belive if more companies gave the Magazines something to review then we would see more action in the magazines, Axial seems to be the only one pushing the Crawler. im not counting out others such as Bullies, or Bergs, but if these companies wanted to sell more products they have to donate there product to the magazine. who knows maybe we could see some bullies or bergs in the pages of magazines, along with GMADE.

I dont know what it takes to accualy get them in the magazine, but im sure they dont go out to buy a product to review either....

HAHA yeah 200 Post....
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
www.team3sixrc.com

They are just scared to cover us all because we all have attitudes. you have any idea how much the F bomb flows at comps. Like water my friend's, like "F"ing water.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Funny thing is, I have always wondered why the guys here who own the site never got together with JIA or someone to do a magazine of their own. Maybe a pay to see section on the site? (Other than the write ups on the cover page) Needs to be more than that!!!

Heck, RC Driver named their special edition magazine RC Crawler like/after this site. Just makes sense it should belong to the web site it's named after or the guys who own it.

With all the knowledge guys on this site have, seems it would be the perfect match to be a success. Guys who do rock crawling writing about the major competitions, rigs, parts, kits, vendors, major companies and interviews with the successful drivers and major players in the field of RC Rock Crawling. People who really use and know the in's and out of the products from our vendors and the major companies. IMO

There I go running my mouth again, about something I don't have a clue about. But it does seem logical.
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #16
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIA's Dad View Post
Funny thing is, I have always wondered why the guys here who own the site never got together with JIA or someone to do a magazine of their own. Maybe a pay to see section on the site? (Other than the write ups on the cover page) Needs to be more than that!!!

You know, you wouldn't have to go as far as print media. If someone were willing to spend the time, we could have weekly or bi-weekly featured articles on some of the better built/designed rigs here. There is enough material floating around here to keep it going for a long, long time. Every once in a while we could do a "flashback" on some of the rigs that started this sport so that some of the newcomers could see where all this came from. Tech articles could be good too and might even cut down on some of these far too repetitive noob questions.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #17
Gettin’ back on the horse

The real problem is advertising IMO with the crawlers. Many companies are not willing to spend any money to advertise the crawling market, so the mags don't see much need to cover them... Get advertisers and you will get plenty of crawlers in the mags... Sure there are other aspects, but this is a huge one.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #18
www.team3sixrc.com

Well, it all sounds good, but it is in fact an expensive routine and it takes alot of money to get it off the ground. Its not subscriptions that pay for the magazine, its the advertisers investments that get it going. then you need to find someone to host the magazine and distribute it. I can tell you that the economy right now is hard on quite a few magazines. it gets hard to fill a magazine with articles when some companies are cutting back on advertising. The main problem with crawling is. (and I dont think its nessesarily a problem) but many dont build a stock form of a crawler and upgrade it but still keeping with its original design concept. rather it starts stock and transforms into a new breed. Not very often do you see people sticking with the original concept except for the pros whom are signed to a company and have to run what is sponsored. But see because crawling is a form of RC that is and has the ability continuously grow and change, it makes it one of the most affordable forms of RC. When I used to do Touring, I was at the point of buying a new Tamiya or Xray car every time they released one which was 2 times a year. You barely could stay ahead of the curve. In crawling I can use the same axles and tranny in many applications and when I am bored or want to go a different direction. 90% of that RC can transfer to another truck. Shortcourse is so huge right now because it allows the versatility for anyone to get involved in racing. and if it wasnt for Traxxas pushing that flow. I dont think it would of ever gone that way. BTW, Traxxas was not the first to promote Short course. another company did one before (Thundertech), but it wasnt released on time. and before that Tamiya had one with an S10 3 years before that.

Last edited by team3six; 05-17-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

A small monthly section in the mags to start with would be good
rockrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #20
www.team3sixrc.com

Xtreme RC Cars Magazine already has a small section dedicated to crawlers written by Dave Palacios whom is also a member here as well as a crawler.