Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: This is how it should be done!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default This is how it should be done!

So a guy in Williamson County Texas (which is north of Austin and a place I lived as a teen) has been given life in prison after his 9th DWI/DUI and a 20 year criminal history.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-man-l...ry?id=11395058

Personally, I think this is how it should be done and can't believe people are actually defending this scum. I have no sympathy for people who drive drunk, period. This guy obviously has no intentions of changing and better we protect ourselves than cater to the bleeding hearts and let this guy out for another chance to kill.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Totally agree.
minisaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

there needs to be a "hammer line" for life screw ups' lilke these people. big ole thumper drops down- cleans yer clock. not years of my tax payers dollars going to house this loser. make it a big ass rubber mallet-so it it doesnt seem inhumane. way cheaper than the "chair" or "leathal injection"
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Better yet, send 'em off to live on Drunk Island. Once a month send in a supply of cheap hooch and let 'em fight over it.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:43 AM   #5
RCC Addict

There were some suggesting to send them to an island with the people that feel sympathy for this guy and others like him and let them all live together.

I don't have a problem with housing them but I think they should earn their keep. I have no problems with chain gangs and prison farms. Prisons could be made fairly tax neutral if they were managed differently. I do not agree with letting the guys sit and do nothing all day and watching TV. The only TV I would allow would be educational and that is it. Books would all have to be educational as well.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
I don't have a problem with housing them but I think they should earn their keep. I have no problems with chain gangs and prison farms. Prisons could be made fairly tax neutral if they were managed differently. I do not agree with letting the guys sit and do nothing all day and watching TV. The only TV I would allow would be educational and that is it. Books would all have to be educational as well.
I agree. Just started working at a Prison myself. Where I'm at, inmates are made to actually work for $.17 per hour and buy their own TV's, pay for the limited cable they do get, books and everything. I've met a few guys that have masters degrees they obtained inside the walls. Rehabilitation is a big thing down there, I think it's great for a certain percentage of inmates. Some really want to change and do good. The others, it does waste allot of tax money housing these guys for 3-4 life sentences.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
RCC Addict

That's awesome man! Glad to see guys using the time wisely. I had a friend who went to jail for selling drugs way back when and spent his time getting his degree as well. This was in Franklin, TN. I do not remember what prison he went to though.

I guess the big question is what to do with the ones who refuse to be rehabilitated (such as mr. 9th DWI as in the link above)? I think a quote from "The Dark Knight" sums it up well for some people. "Some men just want to watch the world burn"
Old 08-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
I agree. Just started working at a Prison myself. Where I'm at, inmates are made to actually work for $.17 per hour and buy their own TV's, pay for the limited cable they do get, books and everything. I've met a few guys that have masters degrees they obtained inside the walls. Rehabilitation is a big thing down there, I think it's great for a certain percentage of inmates. Some really want to change and do good. The others, it does waste allot of tax money housing these guys for 3-4 life sentences.
I have a distast for our justic system,mostly becouse the most common error is human error. a error in judgement could send a person to prison,or even bring about their death.
also add that with power sometimes comes corruption.
I have absolutly no doubt in my mind that inocent people are sentenced every year in every state.and I dare say that many a inocent man have more than likely been put to death over the last few decades.
fact is that people with better lawers get off scott free or reduced sentences all the time. the person who cant afford better representation often ends up with the short end of the stick.

in this case though the guy has a issue.
my issue is the life sentance for a dwi, 9th or not, a person was hurt,not killed.
in the story I saw no mention of prior injuries,deaths as a result of his prior dwi's.this would affect my opinion if he had already caused injury in past incodents and continued his lifstyle.

I know that he is up for parol in 15yrs,thats another problem.
if a person gets 5,10,15,20yrs they should have to serve it out right.
no early release under any circumstaces.

also working in prison.
all inmates should be forced to work if capable.
not so they can have tv,ect.
but to pay restitution to those whom they have committed a crime against.
and just like some fathers must pay child support as they are not in the home supprting their childrens needs.
if a person takes the like of a person who is a financial supporter of a family.that supporter has been forever lost.
they [the criminal] should have to pay a portion of thier income when released to support that family till the end of days.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Good. Those Williamson County cops dont fawk around...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

rock hard, I disagree with you on the first part because two close friends were killed last year by drunk drivers. Today one of them has a year since his death. I use to feel the same, but it hit me hard as well as my family and my perspective towards people driving under the influence has changed. That's just my opinion. I agree with the fact that if they have a sentence to serve, they should serve it completely. But I think that's only applies to federal prisons.

Last edited by minisaba; 08-15-2010 at 05:14 PM.
minisaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
I have a distast for our justic system,mostly becouse the most common error is human error. a error in judgement could send a person to prison,or even bring about their death.
also add that with power sometimes comes corruption.
I have absolutly no doubt in my mind that inocent people are sentenced every year in every state.and I dare say that many a inocent man have more than likely been put to death over the last few decades.
fact is that people with better lawers get off scott free or reduced sentences all the time. the person who cant afford better representation often ends up with the short end of the stick.

in this case though the guy has a issue.
my issue is the life sentance for a dwi, 9th or not, a person was hurt,not killed.
in the story I saw no mention of prior injuries,deaths as a result of his prior dwi's.this would affect my opinion if he had already caused injury in past incodents and continued his lifstyle.

I know that he is up for parol in 15yrs,thats another problem.
if a person gets 5,10,15,20yrs they should have to serve it out right.
no early release under any circumstaces.

also working in prison.
all inmates should be forced to work if capable.
not so they can have tv,ect.
but to pay restitution to those whom they have committed a crime against.
and just like some fathers must pay child support as they are not in the home supprting their childrens needs.
if a person takes the like of a person who is a financial supporter of a family.that supporter has been forever lost.
they [the criminal] should have to pay a portion of thier income when released to support that family till the end of days.

I agree with the second part but I disagree with your stance on if he deserved this sentence for dwi. You say he hurt someone not killed someone. You are correct and you are right there was no mention of injury on any of his other dwi's. But after 9 dwi's I would almost consider him drinking and driving as attempted murder. He knows as well as anyone else that it just takes the right person on the right night to pass him and he will kill someone. It's like a serial killer trying to kill 9 people and just not shooting them in the right spot and they all live. They are hurt not killed but that doesnt mean he is any safer to society.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #13
dnf

I knew a guy [my grandfathers close friend] he stayed drunk,he had I dont know how many dui's,dwi's. now back then they where not as strick as now. however the man didnt have a mean bone in his body.

look at this case,do me a favor,everyplace in the story where is says dwi,replace it with excesive speed.

people drive,race all the time and are just as likely to injure or kill someone.

if you have had 9 prior convivtions for excessive speed over say a 10 yr period. then one day you hit another car while speeding. and in the collision a person was injured. do you feel a life sentence was worthy??

I feel that speeding and dwi are very simular, in the fact that both types of drivers mean no harm,yet kill.

and I feel neither offence would warrant such harsh penalty.

the best I think would be for starters to take away the right to drive,and go from there.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
20K Club

Quote:
I feel that speeding and dwi are very simular, in the fact that both types of drivers mean no harm,yet kill.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by minisaba View Post
rock hard, I disagree with you on the first part because two close friends were killed last year by drunk drivers. Today one of them has a year since his death. I use to feel the same, but it hit me hard as well as my family and my perspective towards people driving under the influence has changed. That's just my opinion. I agree with the fact that if they have a sentence to serve, they should serve it completely. But I think that's only applies to federal prisons.
I to have lost friends and family in car accidents.
2 very close friends [seperat incidents][both girls]

were killed while driving drunk. and I have had 3 very close calls myself with drunk drivers.
and I had a fatal collision with a pedestrian who was 3x the leagal limit.

but for such a sever penalty I feel that there should at least be criminal intent to do harm.if he had been in atleast one prior dwi collision then I could consent his
intent,knowing he had injured once before.

but sometimes it takes something extreme to make people open their eye's.

he may have always assumed he may be drunk,but he was still safe,especially if he had never hurt anyone before.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #16
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
its true,the act of speeding is a CRIME. and people who speed you could say are knowingly puting me and my family at risk for thier adrenalin rush.

esecially the crotch rockets you would think may not be as bad.
but those guys can create a bad accident aswell with those idiot antics they pull at times

Last edited by rock hard; 08-15-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:12 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
its true,the act of speeding is a CRIME. and people who speed you could say are knowingly puting me and my family at risk for thier adrenalin rush.

esecially the crotch rockets you would think may not be as bad.
but those guys can create a bad accident aswell with those idiot antics they pull at times
You'd probably hate like hell to see me slide 2nd onto the on-ramp to the highway then......

Are you one of those people that tries to police people that are speeding by cutting them off or tailgating them and then yelling at stop lights?
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:12 AM   #18
Custom Carbon Fiber

I applaud the judge, jury or not, he took this guy off the roads. 9 DUI/DWI's shows me not a minor lack of judgement but a pure disconcern for others safety.

Granted, he may have blown just over the legal limit and been able to walk a straight line, we dont know. We all know that if someone had died more people would be screaming at the Prosecutor for tougher laws.

To say the sentence was to harsh just because no one was killed is basically saying its ok to drive drunk or be irresponsible and cause harm to others, just dont kill them.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Punishment should be issued according to what one has done, not for what one might do or is capable of doing. Hell I know several women who are just as much as danger on the road as any drunk driver.

That being said, 9 dwi's is absolutely uncalled for. He should have been banned from ever being behind the wheel again after the 2nd or 3rd go around. Let him walk everywhere drunk. Seems like that would have been a logical solution.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #20
Web Wheeling

I was shocked when looking at my insurance statement, that a speeding ticket will raise my rates more then a DWI would.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote