Notices

Thread: Happy 420

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Actually....I do know how wikipedia is created and how they verify the information that is provided. Not anyone can input info.

Did your father celebrate this "holiday" before 1889?
indeed he did. but i believe it became nationally recognized in the early 70's as a "holiday"

wiki's are based on prior research and can only be formed on information that people are willing to write about. and yes... anyone can edit a wiki post as long as they support their info with a sort of "work cited" page or topic. in the article that u posted, at the bottom u will see there are a few documents that support the authors intent. those documents have only been wrote/posted in the last couple of years.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbio4422 View Post
indeed he did
Wow, your dad is quite old....about 121 years old by now?
Old 04-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

some more info i found in a wiki:

April 20 is the Rastafari equivalent of Christmas Eve. April 20 is the eve of Grounation Day (21 April), the second most important holy day of Rastifari, It is celebrated in honor of Haile Selassie's 1966 visit to Jamaica. (See Wiki entry on the subject). Somewhere around 100,000 Rastafari from all over Jamaica descended on Palisadoes Airport in Kingston, having heard that the man whom they considered to be God was coming to visit them. They waited at the airport smoking lots of ganja, and playing drums (See Wiki entry on the subject). Most of those whom gathered at the airport arrived the day before (20 April). As quoted elsewhere on this page it is very likely that Bob Dylan's 1966 song (recorded two months of the Selassie visit) is about the event.. "everybody must get stoned".... 12x35=420. So 420 appears to come from a religious festival based on important events that actually happened on 20 & 21 April and are of significance to those who believe in the spiritual use of cannabis (Rastafarians). Many 'days of note or celebration' are based on religious events or festivals (e.g.Halloween is the 'eve' prior to All Saints Day, at one time an important Christian holy day of obligation, 1 November) as opposed to being based on the random behavior and habits of drug addled California teenagers
Old 04-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Wow, your dad is quite old....about 121 years old by now?
oops... didn notice the *18*89: lmao:. what is significant about this date?

nm.. i was thinking of 1949 (the death year) but in all honesty... stoners who celebrate the birth of hitler? cmon

and for those who dont remember.. columbine was on april 20th too. but i doubt they were praying to the cannabis gods

Last edited by robbio4422; 04-22-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

So, which of those happened before April 20, 1889? I looked up the Rastafari religion and found that it was started in the 1930's...

BTW, now you're quoting Wiki? I thought you said not to.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
oops... didn notice the (189. what is significant about this date?

This:
Quote:
this day was was in celebration for marijuana far before the birth of hitler
Old 04-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So, which of those happened before April 20, 1889? I looked up the Rastafari religion and found that it was started in the 1930's...

BTW, now you're quoting Wiki? I thought you said not to.
never said u cant quote a wiki. wiki's are for the most part complete or they wouldn't be a legit source of information to educate the public. u just have to look into the credited information behind a wiki for a viable debate. in this case, this date is very opinionated. some will say 420 is because of he chemical make up that was suppose to be 421 when in all actuality it is in the lower 300's depending on the strain and growers intent

rasta was started in the early 30's and im sure that was before many were even educated on the "hitler regiment" hitler had only taken power on or around jan 30 1933. and was nearly 10 years before we (the world) learned of what his exact action were

Last edited by robbio4422; 04-22-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

But you said that people were celebrating this "holiday" long before the BIRTH of hitler....I can not find a single bit of information that supports the fact that this "holiday" was celebrated before April 20, 1889.

BTW, when I first provided you with the Wiki quote, I actually did read the 3 documents cited at the bottom of the page....they seemed to be vaild (the authors actually interviewed the people who claim to have coined the term).
Old 04-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

I don't smoke anything or use any illegal drug.

I do however don't have a problem with folks doing what they want to--thats there god given right.

But they should legalize pot just like alcohol.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #70
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So, am I above or below average?

As for an elaboration...I have given one in the past. I am sure you can find it if you search this forum.
If I have no idea what you said, how am I supposed to find it. I looked through 12 pages of your lastest posts and only saw 1 thing about a high civil engineer.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Quote:
But you said that people were celebrating this "holiday" long before the BIRTH of hitler....I can not find a single bit of information that supports the fact that this "holiday" was celebrated before April 20, 1889.

BTW, when I first provided you with the Wiki quote, I actually did read the 3 documents cited at the bottom of the page....they seemed to be vaild (the authors actually interviewed the people who claim to have coined the term).
by all means. im not doubting the info you have pulled up but not all info is correct. i also read those and the subjects that where interview remained anonymous. and to be honest.. if i was approached and asked if i was part of this "waldo" crew and fit the demographic age/time line i might have take credit myself...

the origin of 420 will remain a mystery due to the fact there there is no recorded information on this topic. i was merely commenting that this date was significant far before 1971.

my comment about the proof before the exact birth might have been slightly inaccurate but in my post above... the rasta religion was introduced in the early 30's which was before hitler became an interest of hate. which leads to a question. would some hippy stoners really dedicate this day of smoking over hate? personally, i dont believe so. then again i could be wrong

Last edited by robbio4422; 04-22-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyj View Post
If I have no idea what you said, how am I supposed to find it. I looked through 12 pages of your lastest posts and only saw 1 thing about a high civil engineer.
It is here some where might have to do a pot search I think it was in one of my threads I started about legalizing it. It was a few months ago.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Dont worry, I sent him the link. He wont be back for a few hours though....that thread was loooooooong.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

I just got done reading the 8 pages. Your references in there also refer to smoking. I clearly stated that was harmful, but as you also stated in that thread pot smokers smoke less than cigarettes, so your chances for health problems would be less. I have to disagree about most pot users also smoking cigarettes. Most of the pot users I know do not smoke cigarettes. Anyone else agree with this? I will say that most of the cigarette smokers I know also smoke pot.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I just got done reading the 8 pages. Your references in there also refer to smoking. I clearly stated that was harmful, but as you also stated in that thread pot smokers smoke less than cigarettes, so your chances for health problems would be less. I have to disagree about most pot users also smoking cigarettes. Most of the pot users I know do not smoke cigarettes. Anyone else agree with this? I will say that most of the cigarette smokers I know also smoke pot.
my closest friends smoke weed, but do NOT smoke cigs.
i smoke cigs and i smoke weed.

if you cant deal with that.... kick rocks!

i have been through alot of shit in my life, and i would be one pissed off human being if i didnt smoke weed!
Old 04-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

I really don't see why people are so against weed. I'm not going to try and argue why it is so great or why it is so bad. I have expiremented with it but just never turned into a "pot head". I couldn't tell you the last time I smoked.

So many people are against it yet doctors will give opiate based pain killers to almost anyone. There are probably more people that have used vicoden or percocet than have smoked weed. More and more kids are digging into medicine cabinets to get high. I dunno about anyone else but I would much rather have a child that smoked a little reefer than one that is popping pills that ends up jabbing needles in their arms. Opiate based pain killers are ok though because they are legal.

If weed kills they pain for a cancer patient then I'm all for it. My grandmother died of cancer and in the days before she died she was getting morphine shots every hour on the hour and was completly out of it. Had she been using marijuana it may be possible that we could have had actual conversations with her before her death. I'm not sure on that though because I have never been around anyone on their death bed using marijuana instead of opiates but I'd like to think it were true.

I use GHB to treat my narcolepsy as well as amphetimines to help me sleep and stay awake. Without them I would be on disability and not able to work. Then all of the tax payers would be paying for me to lay around and sleep all day. I'm all for anything that serves a purpose to help those that need help even if it is not a convention form of treatment.

My point is marijuana has a bad rep because it is illegal. It has been pounded into our heads since we were in elementary school that it is a terrible drug that will lead you to make horrible mistakes and lead to the use of other drugs. The older we get we realize its not such a bad thing. The problem is only some of us see this while others are still stuck in the old days of weed is bad. There is always going to be a debate on why it should or should not be legal and we can all argue until we are blue in the face. The fact is it has its purpose and is not going anywhere.

As for 420 also being Hitlers birthday. Think about it like this...we celebrate many things on many different days like birthdays and holidays. Every day in history has something to celebrate in one way or another. Those same days bad things also happened. I'm sure if I were to search my birthday, a day that I celebrate every year, something bad happened that should not be celebrated on that same day. So just because something happened on the date I was born before I was born does that mean I shouldn't celebrate my birthday?
Old 04-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Most of the pot users I know do not smoke cigarettes. Anyone else agree with this? I will say that most of the cigarette smokers I know also smoke pot.
Ummm....what? Isn't that a contradiction?

I have been involved in the treatment of thousands of lung cancer patients and not a single one of them, that I can recall, has admitted that they smoked pot (although one lady did claim that the paint on the walls in her rental house that she lived in for a few months caused her cancer...not the 30 year history of cigarettes). Now, does that mean that pot doesn't cause cancer? No, it just means that some of those people aren't willing to admit to illegal activity when it comes to their medical records.

BTW, did you happen to read where I stated that the same cancer causing radioactive particles that are present in tobacco are also present in marijuana? What did you conclude from that?

Also, just so you guys know....I don't really care if you smoke pot....it's your choice and it helps to pay my bills.

Last edited by JeremyH; 04-22-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #78
Rock Crawler

i see no reason whatsoever for it to be outlawed.

We all can/could grow our own tobacco, brew our own beer, or make our own liquor.

You could still tax weed if it were legal because most people are just to damn lazy to grow there own.
The growers, I'm sure, would be pissed because they would lose profitability hugely. However, mqking it legal is not an issue. Its a pretty harmless drug if there ever was one.
Yes, you can die from to much thc. Can you die from smoking weed... it'd be tough to do, because you'd pass out before you got to that point, but sure I guess it could be done.

Does it kill brain cells. Of course it does. Common sense will tell you that smoke itself cankill you and your brain cells. Cigarettes kill brain cells. Weed will to.
Does it have medical benifits. Sure, of course it does.

Pot heads and people that want it legal need to take a much more adult, rational apprach to the whole thing. Acting like a typical pothead isn't going to get you anything because everyone hates hippies. Face it.

Stop quoting the most unreliable source of information ever forced on humanity. Wiki is a massive fail.

Stop lying to yourself. Use your common sense.

Don't be a douche.
Approach the situation with some dignity, and integrity. Smoking weed is illegal. Be rational about the dangers of it. And for gods sake, use your brains to come up with actual good reasons for it to be legal.

Hippies.

They never learn
Old 04-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

Quote:

BTW, did you happen to read where I stated that the same cancer causing radioactive particles that are present in tobacco are also present in marijuana?
honestly, i would like to learn more about this. in my years of research, i have never come across this topic.

could u link this post to me so i can read it.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

while looking around i did find this article.. let me remind u... this was not my research and i have not looked into these references yet. it was only from a quick search

Many people think smoking marijuana is just as harmful as smoking tobacco, but this is not true. Those who hold that marijuana is equivalent to tobacco are misinformed. Due to the efforts of various federal agencies to discourage use of marijuana in the 1970's the government, in a fit of "reefer madness," conducted several biased studies designed to return results that would equate marijuana smoking with tobacco smoking, or worse.
For example the Berkeley carcinogenic tar studies of the late 1970's concluded that "marijuana is one-and-a-half times as carcinogenic as tobacco." This finding was based solely on the tar content of cannabis leaves compared to that of tobacco, and did not take radioactivity into consideration. (Cannabis tars do not contain radioactive materials.) In addition, it was not considered that:
  1. Most marijuana smokers smoke the bud, not the leaf, of the plant. The bud contains only 33% as much tar as tobacco.
  2. Marijuana smokers do not smoke anywhere near as much as tobacco smokers, due to the psychoactive effects of cannabis.
  3. Not one case of lung cancer has ever been successfully linked to marijuana use.
  4. Cannabis, unlike tobacco, does not cause any narrowing of the small air passageways in the lungs.
In fact, marijuana has been shown to be an expectorant and actually dilates the air channels it comes in contact with. This is why many asthma sufferers look to marijuana to provide relief. Doctors have postulated that marijuana may, in this respect, be more effective than all of the prescription drugs on the market.
Studies even show that due to marijuana's ability to clear the lungs of smog, pollutants, and cigarette smoke, it may actually reduce your risk of emphysema, bronchitis, and lung cancer. Smokers of cannabis have been shown to outlive non- smokers in some areas by up to two years. Medium to heavy tobacco smokers will live seven to ten years longer if they also smoke marijuana.

Last edited by robbio4422; 04-22-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Closed Thread