Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: navy bound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default navy bound

went and talked to my recruiter last week, i scored an 80 on the the pre- ASVAB, im not studying to get a little bit higher score, im going to take the real ASVAB next Wednesday, and ill then go to Great Lakes IL for my 9 week bootcamp, so anyways, i figured id share this with you guys and hopefully receive some advise and what not
any other members in the service? retired vet?
scalerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Congrats and good luck!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Take everything your recruiter promised you and expect the exact opposite,and remember when 120 men go down in a sub 60 couples pop up a few months later
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Get everything in writing.
I have been enlisted in the navy for awhile, Keep a good attitude.
Do a little studying for the asvab. I got an 88 and feel like I could have done better. The better the score the better the work.
When you sit down with detailer, make sure you that they get you the job(rate) that YOU want not what he wants you to do.

Congrats and have fun. The time goes fast.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4lyf View Post
Take everything your recruiter promised you and expect the exact opposite,and remember when 120 men go down in a sub 60 couples pop up a few months later

Thats 61 couples. Somebodies always cheating!
bivens22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

May you do great things for this country! And remember you will allways have support from the great people of this country. So dont listen to the nay sayers. Thank you!
bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4lyf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bivens22 View Post
Thats 61 couples. Somebodies always cheating!

Yes, expect the exact opposite! lol. Haha!! Subs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
Get everything in writing.
I have been enlisted in the navy for awhile, Keep a good attitude.
Do a little studying for the asvab. I got an 88 and feel like I could have done better. The better the score the better the work.
When you sit down with detailer, make sure you that they get you the job(rate) that YOU want not what he wants you to do.

Congrats and have fun. The time goes fast.
I agree, study for the ASVAB. I did the same thing and scored higher on my real one. I got my job(Rate) in writing from the recruiter as an Aviation Electronics Technician. I just separated from the Navy last month. Did 10 years in and it was time for me to venture back into the civilian life. No regrets joining. I had alot of good experiences and saw alot of cool places. The Navy was good to my family and myself. Just want to spend more time with my family and be there for my kids growing up.
chino438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

so yall are saying that basically my girlfriend is pretty much going to cheat while im gone? lol i dont think she will, she ashures me that she want, but who knows

navy girls are hotter haha jk jk
Old 04-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

First, your girlfriend will cheat. Jody always hits it.

Second, you missed the joke entirely. 120 men get on a sub...ALONE.
No women...
60 GAY couple come up...

In other words

forget it...
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Yep jody will be hittin that shit like a golden gloves boxer. And I'm not a nay sayer did 4 yrs us army spent time in the sand made friends and lost friends we are proud of ya man g'luck
Old 04-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Then there is always the guy who is selling naked pics of your girl friend I have a few if your interested! lol

Nothing like putting up with military BS and boy do they know how to stack it up!

And always remember if it IS in writing it still may change due to needs of the Military.

And have a good time with the games of Basic Training!
Dragon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

With a score that high they'll want you to take the nuclear test to become a nuke. There are good things about being a nuke and bad things about being a nuke:
Good:
1. Money - You'll get a sizeable bonus for entering, and you can get up to $100,000 reenlistment bonus.
2. Job Security - Nukes are very marketable in the civ. sector.
Bad:
1. You job sucks (that's why they'll pay you $100K to reup)
2. See #1.

As far as the Navy goes, it is all about what you make of it. There are a lot of people (kids), that get shocked when they actually have to do a job and follow instructions (orders); and, of coarse, it is the Navy's fault for wanting them to earn their paycheck... With that said, the Navy (or military for that matter) isn't for everyone, some people do well, some don't.

As far as the comments on the subs goes --->
I've spent 19 years as a Submarine Sonar Technician (think Jonesy from 'The Hunt for Red October'). There are two kinds of ships at sea, submarines and targets...

If you want no bull-shit answers to your questions send me a PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Aww c'mon you know as well as I do there are always jokes made from branch to branch just like a jarhead and a soldier are takin a leak the soldiers walks out shortly followed by the marine who says: ya know in the marines they teach us to wash after peeing. soldier: well in the army they teach us not to piss on our hands
Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I did my 4 as a Gunners Mate on a destroyer. I got to see some great places and have some fun. Make the most of it. And, very few navy chicks are hot.
bivens22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
www.team3sixrc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalerfreak View Post
went and talked to my recruiter last week, i scored an 80 on the the pre- ASVAB, im not studying to get a little bit higher score, im going to take the real ASVAB next Wednesday, and ill then go to Great Lakes IL for my 9 week bootcamp, so anyways, i figured id share this with you guys and hopefully receive some advise and what not
any other members in the service? retired vet?
Well first of all. Congradulations!

Being that I am from that area and did alot of business as a taxi driver on the base for some time and met my wife there. I have quite alot of info for you.

1. Go there with nothing but what you are wearing and thats it. everything else will get boxed up and sent back home or thrown out.

2. Go there with a good attitude and do better then better in your training and youll graduate the head of your class. This will help you go farther in your career.

3. Dont quit. I have seen to many people wuss out and its not worth it. Its 90% head games.

4. and remember this, Once boot is over life gets good!

(Follow this advise and youll be better. This applies If when you graduate that you do your schooling at Great Lakes)

Great lakes is surrounded by North chicago. The strip outside of the base is where alot of people go to get their booze. Its also the place where all the crack heads and gang bangers hang out because they know when you get paid that this is where youll go. Do yourself a favor and dont make a problem for yourself. Just stay away from it.

Alot of people when they graduate tend to rent hotel rooms with their friends they have went toboot with and get drunk. Its nrmal, but remeber thereare narks all over the place. These people are navy higher ups that play it off like they are your homies just so they can get you burned. Watch your back and choose your friends closely

your not allowed to own a car if your a student so there are vans that are taxi's for the navy. The deal is if you want to go somewhere by yourself. It will cost you alot. I think Gurnee mills mall is $12.00 - $15.00. But if you can get a group to go that fills up a van. The van will not only leave right then, but you will only get charged $3.00 Ea. to go to the mall.

The commisary is a great place to go for food when your broke. do yourself a favor and dont blow your cash 1st and 15th. Try and make it last. shop at the commisary for food and stuff if you dont want to eat the free food in the chow hall.

Call K-n-T Transport or Jammin and tell them Norm told you to call them and they will take care of you. Dont ride with any of the other vans companies. Youll understand why when you get there.

Take the train to Chicago, its cheaper.

Lake forest is a cool place to hang out and you can get there by train too.

You can get discounted tickets to most sports events through your commisary.

There is a great RC shop in Grayslake Illinois called Grayslakes hobby world
and there is another one in Wheeling called Venture hobbies. Those are my boys. great to deal with.

any other questions, P.M. me I can tell you pretty much anything you want to know.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #16
No idea what I'm doing

Boot sucks, but always remember this.......No matter what they do, they can't stop time, and graduation will come. Then life does get better!

Welcome aboard Squid
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

well, i did it, going in for I.T and i leave for BC in 1 month and 6 days, well this was all told to me by the recruiter, dont know if its true or not, but i took the asvab and got an 86, not bad in my opinion
Old 04-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #18
RCC Addict

That is an awesome rate good work. IT has like 90% advancement, hello $$$. Did you sign for a 5yr contract and automatic 3rd class?
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Congrats on your decision and thanks in advance for your service.

I was medically (honorably) discharged after 3 years. I spent all that time in school. I was an Electronics Warfare tech/operator. School was long and located in Pensacola. Its a nice place to spend 2 years while in school. I scored a 92 on the ASVAB and had my choice of jobs. They talked me into taking the Nuke test but I didn't make it by one question. I received a 60K sign on bonus which was nice. I'm glad I didn't pass the nuke test. I've been told the school is crazy.

Get everything in writing. Read everything twice before signing everything. Those are my two pieces of advice. Good luck and thanks again for your service!
kooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #20
www.team3sixrc.com

Scalerfreak. I was glad i could help and answer your questions. you made a good choice and if you take my advice. Youll be fine.
Do me a favor before you leave and I'll give you my addy and you can send a letter for any advice while in boot.
From what I know now. everything is done in the BEQ now. PT, Chow, Sleep, medical, ect are all done in one place. Your BEQ is called a Ship. All the ships are numbered.

If you can get the Sailors creed and Chain of command. Try and take time to read it and learn it before you go in if you can. They will drill it to you often and its good to know that stuff, being able to recite it without your field book is a big plus.

Get ready for sitting in an indian style position for long periods of time . It's common in basic training in all branches of the military. Your a$$ will go numb

Just shoot me with any more questions you might have.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote