Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Who are the DVD Gurus here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
Colt Python/SR9c

Default Who are the DVD Gurus here?

I need some help on this crap. There has to be a couple DVD gurus in the house..

Anyway, I was sent a DVD from a fellow RCC board member and was told to burn a few copies and take them to my LHS's. Well I only have 1 dvd burner, so had to save it to computer and all that crap, but I didn't have the right software. So I take it to my buddy who has the stuff at work. So he burns me a few copies and good to go..

So I finally start poking around for software and came across the DVD shrink and a Deepburner pro to do the videos. Well I shrink it/save it/rip it and all that good crap and it's good to go. Fire up the Deepburner Pro software and burn it to a DVD disc. I run my DVD player on the computer and everything works great. Menus and extras and all work just fine.

Now I put it into my DVD player on my TV and it doesn't work with a crap. It loads fine, but i click on a scene or skip to a scene or do anything besides hit play, it locks up. So I let it play and it only plays the first chapter and then locks up. I have tried it on several different DVD players and all do the same thing. I have also tried other "actual" movies that I have here and all do teh same. They work great on the computer, but screw up anytime i try it on a TV..

Any ideas?

Thanks
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

It's the software your burning the DVD's with. I had the same problem with a different burning software and wasted 30 DVD's which I thought were good.

Take it to the mods forum if you want help on what software I use.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I use Nero to burn my DVDs. I get verry few coasters. If you look around, Im sure you can find a cracked copy. I just got a copy of ver. 7 but havent checked it out yet.
nktrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

What kind of DVDs are they? -R, +R, etc.

I didn't understand the past portion of your post. "Actual" movies work okay on the computer, but not on your players? You mean legitimate, propper, DVD movies? Or burnt copies?

I use a combination of Decrypter, Shrink, and Nero to burn my DVDs, so I can help with those. I have no idea about Deepburner.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb
What kind of DVDs are they? -R, +R, etc.

I didn't understand the past portion of your post. "Actual" movies work okay on the computer, but not on your players? You mean legitimate, propper, DVD movies? Or burnt copies?

I use a combination of Decrypter, Shrink, and Nero to burn my DVDs, so I can help with those. I have no idea about Deepburner.
dvd-r or dvd+r is a good question. my apple uses -r, and i unknowingly wasted a whole stack of +r's.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have burned several movies. copy them for my kids, let the copies get torn up. I use DVDshrink to dump it to the hard drive then I use the sofware that came with my burner to dump the files to the disk.

what I have found with my new burner is that some of my older set top DVD players dont like the new dual layer disks or single layer disks burned at speeds over 8x. sometimes they work sometimes they dont. In the new player that I have plays all the stuff easy.

also, make sure you have the VIDEO_TS and the AUDIO_TS folders on there and named right. most older DVD players can not seek out the VOB files if the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS files are named right.

Last edited by BUBBA069; 02-04-2006 at 07:33 PM.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
RCC Addict

What kind of DVD is the one your trying to copy? Why not just make an "image" file of it, using a program like Alcohol 120, and then burn the image file.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:30 PM   #8
Colt Python/SR9c

The DVD's are DVD-R... what I meant on the "actual" movies was DVD's that you would go out and buy or go to the video store and rent. The video I was working with was a video that just had several small RC wheeling clips made onto a DVD.

As Badger said, it is probably the software I am using, it's the only thing I can think of. I just happen to find it as a free trial version online. I still just can't figure out why it would work on the computer and not the TV..All the audio and video files are named right and are where they are supposed to be.

As for older DVD players, everyone I have tried them on is a newer DVD player and still no worky.

Maybe I'll just try to find a different software and see if that helps. I had Nero once before, but deleted it cause i figured I would never use it anyway
Old 02-05-2006, 10:19 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I use Easy Media Creator 7 by Roxio http://www.roxio.com/en/index.jhtml;...questid=694663 to burn my DVD's. Also use DVD Decrypter and DVD shrink if they are store bought or rented dvd's. Im too cheap to buy dual layer discs even though my writer will burn to them. and so far I have yet to make any copys that are coasters.
Tonsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I do this kind of work often.... Download Alcohol 120%, and copy it in there, if the disk is a dual layer disk use DVD shrink to shrink it down to single layer, and then when you save it, make sure you save it as an ISO. Then burn the ISO in alcohol 120, try burning at 4x and see if that helps, if its working at 4x, try one at 8x or even 16x.

Also the brand of the media probably plays a bigger role in compatibility then the speed. Your cheap memorex CD's you pick up 50 for $15, those are so so... I recommend Legacy DVDRs or Verbatim DVDRs. With Verbatims or Legacy's I have no problems burning at 8x or 16x.

DVD-R is technically more compatible then DVD+R but my real world testing shows that DVD+Rs are more compatible with older DVD's players that were made before DVD Burners were mainstream.
Chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #11
Colt Python/SR9c

what is this double and single layer dvd you guys mention.. how can ya tell?
Old 02-05-2006, 08:28 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
what is this double and single layer dvd you guys mention.. how can ya tell?
Any "retail" movie that you buy or rent is recorded on a dual layer disc. Dual layers allow about 4 hours of DVD quality video, whereas a single layer only gives you about half of that.

Any recordable DVD media that you purchase will be clearly marked dual layer if it is. If it isn't marked (or states 4.7gb), it is a normal ol' single layer disc.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
The DVD's are DVD-R...
Hey TC, I am fairly new into this too. I started out using -R DVDs, and it was hit and miss.....mostly miss with the 5 different DVD players that I have. I talked to a friend of mine and he told me to switch to +R. Every since I did, I have not had a problem. Also burn your DVDs at no faster x4.

As for the software, I use Nero 6 and I'm not too impressed. I don't think that I am getting the quality that I should be. I use a Cannon Optura Xi (DV tapes) for all my recording so I think that my quality is there, I just think that the software isn't what it is cracked up to be? IMO

Don't know if this helped...good luck.
Chad
flexntj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #14
Colt Python/SR9c

ahh ok.. Thanks guys.. Yeah Flex, I'm a complete utter noob to this stuff I had been burning as fast as i could. i'll slow it all down and switch DVD's then.. see if that helps also

Robb, so I guess the memorex dvd-r i have are dual layered since they say 4.7gb on the package?
Old 02-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Robb, so I guess the memorex dvd-r i have are dual layered since they say 4.7gb on the package?
I may have typed unclearly there. 4.7gb discs are single layer.

I have recorded MANY dual layer DVDs "shrunk" down to about 50% of original quality, and haven't noticed any difference in quality on my 54".
Old 02-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexntj2001
Hey TC, I am fairly new into this too. I started out using -R DVDs, and it was hit and miss.....mostly miss with the 5 different DVD players that I have. I talked to a friend of mine and he told me to switch to +R. Every since I did, I have not had a problem. Also burn your DVDs at no faster x4.

As for the software, I use Nero 6 and I'm not too impressed. I don't think that I am getting the quality that I should be. I use a Cannon Optura Xi (DV tapes) for all my recording so I think that my quality is there, I just think that the software isn't what it is cracked up to be? IMO

Don't know if this helped...good luck.
Chad
You'll never get what you want out of your software if you go with those all in one packages. If you want to encode quality DVD movies from your own home collection Nero is not the way to go. If you want quality your going to have spend some money. Best thing to do is to learn how to encode the movies yourself, with something that allows you to select the bitrate, etc... I use Vegas Video, the quality seems all up to you. The higher the quality you want you get it. Just takes up more space.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb
I may have typed unclearly there. 4.7gb discs are single layer.

I have recorded MANY dual layer DVDs "shrunk" down to about 50% of original quality, and haven't noticed any difference in quality on my 54".
Do you have your TV hooked via DVI or Component video cables? Or just standard Coax or Svid?

When I compress videos to even 80% of the original I can tell a slight diffrence, when I compress down to 50% I can see a huge diffrence. Everything video component I have is hooked up to my TV via Component video cables. On my TV in my room at 50% I can tell a little but not much, its hooked up via Svid.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #18
Colt Python/SR9c

LMAO..

I should have paid more attention back in school when I took computer classes
Old 02-05-2006, 09:14 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuki
You'll never get what you want out of your software if you go with those all in one packages. If you want to encode quality DVD movies from your own home collection Nero is not the way to go. If you want quality your going to have spend some money. Best thing to do is to learn how to encode the movies yourself, with something that allows you to select the bitrate, etc... I use Vegas Video, the quality seems all up to you. The higher the quality you want you get it. Just takes up more space.
Thanks Chuki,
Is Vegas Video easy to use? I am a complete dunce when it comes to this stuff. I would like to find some software that I can more or less setup and walk away. Is there such a thing???

Sorry for hijacking your thread TC.
Chad
flexntj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #20
Colt Python/SR9c

hey not at all... any talk of this DVD software and programs is learning for me