Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Cool Pictures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2019, 07:44 PM   #10021
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Cool Pictures

That is bright. I’ll raise you an evening double from last Friday.

Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #10022
Rock Crawler

This is the M110A2 8 Inch Howitzer I was assigned to, broken down on a road somewhere in West Germany (yes, there were two Germanys during the Cold War ). That is a much younger me astride the barrel. 1984

This tracked vehicle is called a Self Propelled Howitzer or Gun. All aluminum except for the gun. Zero armor or protection and only a canvas cover to keep us out of the German winters. The mission of my unit was to fire a 2 kiloton neutron warhead at the bad guys in East Germany. Yes, an atomic cannon round.

I forget the nomenclature of this track but it is a Recovery Vehicle for pulling stuff off the battlefield or road. It is FULLY armored and is built on the chassis of an M60 tank. Basically an armored tow truck. These were even NBC prof (NBC = Nuclear, Biological & Chemical warfare) and were the safest place to be when if nukes started dropping.

Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #10023
I wanna be Dave

Default Cool Pictures

Thank you, sir, for your service.

Also, I never knew of such a thing as soft sided tanks. Like a tent tank. With a Godzilla killing warhead nonetheless. LOL. Do you remember the effective range?
Old 04-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #10024
RCC Addict

Don't know if this is cool or funny ? LMAO

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #10025
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Thank you, sir, for your service.

Also, I never knew of such a thing as soft sided tanks. Like a tent tank. With a Godzilla killing warhead nonetheless. LOL. Do you remember the effective range?

Not a tank - a self propelled gun. Major difference.

The nuke round was a Rocket Assisted Projectile (RAP round). They would go about 25 to 30 klicks. We fired hundreds of high explosive (HE) rounds in training but only got to see a demonstration of a RAP round being fired. It basically destroys the breech of the gun.

To fire the gun normally you would stand on the deck next to the breech, hook a 6 foot cord called a lanyard to the striker, and yank - boom. If you were issued a 20 foot lanyard, it was a sign that you should write home and tell your family, and the rest of humanity, goodbye because shyt was about to get real. You were supposed to yank the 20 foot lanyard from a foxhole next to the vehicle, thus beginning, or responding to the beginning of WWIII.

We trained hard and were very prepared. We were also lead to believe a small scale nuclear war was survivable. Its surreal to think that when my friends back home were seniors in high school I was training for a planned holocaust in Europe.

The Warsaw Pact communists from Russia, Czechoslovakia, and East Germany outnumber the NATO forces (the good guys) in equipment and personnel 10 to 1. So nukes were considered the best defense of Europe. Kids probably aren't taught this in school these days. It was a crazy time.

_
Old 04-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #10026
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post

We trained hard and were very prepared. We were also lead to believe a small scale nuclear war was survivable. Its surreal to think that when my friends back home were seniors in high school I was training for a planned holocaust in Europe.

The Warsaw Pact communists from Russia, Czechoslovakia, and East Germany outnumber the NATO forces (the good guys) in equipment and personnel 10 to 1. So nukes were considered the best defense of Europe. Kids probably aren't taught this in school these days. It was a crazy time.

_
True, true. My first few years in service in the early 80's we were completely focused on eastern Europe...our forward operating location from NM was Lar, Denmark.

It was almost a running joke seeing the Ft Bliss (Mike Flea) and White Sands Missile Range guys practicing desert warfare...who was ever going to fight a war in the desert??
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #10027
Rock Crawler

"yes, there were two Germany's during the Cold War"

I know actually been many more times to the eastern Germany than the western one, thanks to my commie father and his cronies.

I did never bring my "better dead then red" T-shirt to east Germany, but it was also back in those days i had that shirt,,,,, and yes my father never saw it.
T shirt procured thru some American magazine, maybe SOF magazine.
Yes i know really strange reading for a little Danish kid in the late 70ties,,,, but i never said i was normal or ever attempted to be that.

Raised by a commie in a social democratic monarchy, and have a little,,,,, okay maybe big Texan inside.

Post cold war revealed Denmark was targeted for a handful of small tactical nukes to take out our major installations.
Im sure Western Germany was planned to receive many more of the big flashers.

Last edited by Peaker; 04-24-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:19 PM   #10028
I wanna be Dave

Good thing I have several months before the Niece/Nephew is born, I would have one of these on order if it was closer to when I Sister is going to deliver!
https://good-idea-products-shop.mysh...hant-plush-toy
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:20 PM   #10029
Quarry Creeper

HMRB as I jump off this bridge from r/holdmyredbull

hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #10030
RCC Addict

Had to keep the tank/APC/SPG, SPA thing going a bit longer. Would have posted earlier but the good scanner was at work and my stoopid company decided to start blocking Flickr.

My father was a lanyardman on an M40 155mm self-propelled gun during the Korean war ("Red Hot"), not to be confused with a tank or APC ;)

Since this is the cool pic thread, these are some of the pictures he took over there that I inherited:

Here's Dad writing Mom from the crew deck between fire missions:

How politically incorrect would that fuel tank art be now??
Old 04-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #10031
I wanna be Dave

Those are great shots! (No pun) I remember the ground shook when they let loose. Saw the training graduation many years back, a bud drove one

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:43 PM   #10032
~THE SCALE SHOP~

STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:13 AM   #10033

My mom found this leaf. We thought it was really cool.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:23 AM   #10034
I wanna be Dave

That ain't good, that could be insect damage!

Last edited by BJoe; 04-25-2019 at 08:26 AM.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #10035
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
My mom found this leaf. We thought it was really cool.
That is cool...and it fits well with your signature
Old 04-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #10036

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
That is cool...and it fits well with your signature
At first I was like

But then I was like
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #10037
Rock Crawler

As fate would have it, the first 2 RC things i tried to drive was
1: a motorcycle
2: a hovercraft
3: my own 3.5 CCM nitro onroad Graupner car.

You have to remember this was in the very early 80ties

ATM the Danish self propelled artillery are the M109 paladin i think its called ( remember i was not allowed to serve my country )

Most we have seem to be broken down so really we don't have any self propelled artillery at the moment.

ATM it look like the CAESAR 8x8 from French Nexter Systems will replace it.

Personally i am not overly happy with this decision, just like us going with the F35 that i feel are not the right system for our need, at least outside of backing up our American friends where i assume we will rain death on our enemies in the future too.
But that French artillery, i feel there are better options, and really us Danes + French well in history not the best decisions we made.
I prefer what our Swedish neighbors use.

Last edited by Peaker; 04-25-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #10038
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
A
ATM the Danish self propelled artillery are the M109 paladin i think its called ( remember i was not allowed to serve my country )

The M109 155mm was what I trained on in basic training at Ft. Sill OK.

Back to the "what is a tank?" discussion, note that the M109 may look like a tank but the turret and sides are all aluminum. A rifle round would go right through it like the canvas cover of the M110 I show above. Also the turret of an artillery piece like the M109 will only rotate about 15 degrees left and right.

Beating a dead horse: A tank is intended for "direct fire". That means like aiming a rifle at a target and shooting a flat trajectory. A self propelled gun (and all other artillery) is made for "over the horizon" lobbing of rounds in an arc. That's not to say artillery can't ever be used for direct fire, but it is not really intended for that.

We were trained that if our position was ever overrun be foot infantry from the front - to drop the tube, open the breech, throw in anything metal like chains, axes, ammo boxes, helmets, etc, throw a bag of gunpowder in behind it and blast the oncoming infantry with that maelstrom of metal crap. That could be considered direct fire.....

Old 04-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #10039
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post

We were trained that if our position was ever overrun be foot infantry from the front - to drop the tube, open the breech, throw in anything metal like chains, axes, ammo boxes, helmets, etc, throw a bag of gunpowder in behind it and blast the oncoming infantry with that maelstrom of metal crap. That could be considered direct fire.....

Tank buckshot....

Old 04-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #10040
Rock Crawler

Tank buckshot,,,,,, thats called a canister shot though i don't think a tank ever did that.
But in the old days of muzzle loader cannons a canister shot would be the last shot before the enemy foot soldiers reached your line, and that usually chewed a good hole in the advancing enemy line.

As i recall the mariners / navy called it a grapeshot.

Today we call it M134 or if you are a lazy SOB the Claymore.