Notices

Thread: Cool Pictures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2021, 06:52 PM   #10741
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Cool Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Here's a long read to go along with the cool pic but if you're up to it, here goes...

I'm really glad that my wife has begun to develop a genuine appreciation for things like nature, wildlife, plants, etc... and even the creepy crawlies that years ago would have sent her running to the hills in horror. She was never much for the outdoors but since we've been together she's actually developed a desire to learn about nature since it's such a passionate thing to me.

It started with her interest in growing vegetables, herbs, and houseplants. And all of that eventually paved the way towards her [initially reluctant] acceptance of her most feared creatures... bees and spiders.

Took her a long time to even begin to get comfortable with anything with a stinger since she'd been stung by several bees/ wasps as a kid. And while I understand that, I really wanted to educate her about insects and their ultra-important presence in our world. Eventually she got to the point where she no longer feared bees and actually became quite fond of them.

But spiders were a bit more of a challenging sell... even the little fuzzy jumpers were a hard pass for her lol. But what finally brought her around was witnessing one day, a jumping spider ambushing a [very destructive] leaf-hopper insect that had been tearing holes in my wife's most prized hibiscus flowers. She sat hypnotized by this tiny predator helping to rid the flowering plants of pests and so she quickly developed a soft spot for the spiders presence. She's still very cautious and somewhat squeamish around wolf spiders, wasps, etc but she now has some major admiration of insects in general.

And that all brings me to the whole point of this post. We recently discovered a small yellow garden spider that took up residence in one of our flower beds. It was only about an inch in size but very stealth looking. And the more that my wife watched it at a distance, the more mesmerized she became by its behavior... watching it snaring, subduing, and nourishing itself upon whatever insects wound up entrapped in its web. She even caught a glimpse of one of it's molts and became outright impressed with its growth and increasingly striking colors/ appearance. She realized that it ( like most spiders) wanted nothing to do with her and was only there to feed on other insects/ pests.

Anyway... Over the last few weeks this yellow garden spider has REALLY grown and so my wife decided one day to actually feed it. She searched around the garden and eventually found a small grasshopper, caught it, and tossed it into the web. And low and behold, the [now about 3"] spider made a beeline to it, immobilized it, and eventually feasted on a nice helping of innards... smoothie style! At this point, my wife finds all of this very fascinating lol and continues to check in on the spider and feed her whenever she finds something that she thinks the spider might like.

I'm sincerely glad to see someone that once had such fear and indifference of nature, now feeling a genuine connection to it and an understanding of how vitally important many animals are to have around... even the creepy ones.

Oh... almost forgot. Here's the little girl... rapidly growing!

Funny you should post this pic, I was working in my vegetable garden last weekend, pulling out the cucumber plants as they were done for the season, and went to thin out the basil, and something caught my attention out of the corner of my left eye. I turned to look, and making a web between a tomato plant and the thyme, was this exact species of garden spider. Most of the garden spiders that I've seen over the years have had an orange body with black markings, and what caught my attention here, was the white body with the white legs, and as soon as she saw that I was paying attention to her, she scampered off into the tomato plant. I let her be, finished what I was doing, and left.

By the way, nothing more annoying than walking into a web spanned across a doorway like Brake Weight mentioned, or in my case, the gate going to the driveway
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #10742
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I had it happen twice to me. Once as a teenager and once a couple of years back. Where a spider decided to make a web in the door facing. Open the front door to let the dog out and am now inches away from a spider in my face. Both were the slighter smaller, but more hairy, Orb Weaver? type.

Something like this.
Yep.. That's an orb weaver. My wife still hasn't warmed up to the few that we have around our front porch lol. And yeah... they are notorious for spinning webs in door frames and across walkways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Funny you should post this pic, I was working in my vegetable garden last weekend, pulling out the cucumber plants as they were done for the season, and went to thin out the basil, and something caught my attention out of the corner of my left eye. I turned to look, and making a web between a tomato plant and the thyme, was this exact species of garden spider. Most of the garden spiders that I've seen over the years have had an orange body with black markings, and what caught my attention here, was the white body with the white legs, and as soon as she saw that I was paying attention to her, she scampered off into the tomato plant. I let her be, finished what I was doing, and left.

By the way, nothing more annoying than walking into a web spanned across a doorway like Brake Weight mentioned, or in my case, the gate going to the driveway

Mike, sounds like the orange and black might be a marbled orb-weaver.

Most spiders are pretty timid and just want to chill out in peace somewhere where they're able to hunt. Nothing beats natural pest control when you're talking about vegetables/ fruits although it's pretty hard to have both natural predators as well as pesticides side by side.

The thing that bothers me about walking into a web ( besides the aggravation of getting the web off of me) is the big question of "Where the hell did the spider go?" and the subsequent question "Is it on me??" lol. But seriously.. .they just don't bug me even if one is on me. I just want to know so that I don't startle it or squish it.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:29 PM   #10743
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post

Most spiders are pretty timid
Fun Fact: Black widows won't bite unless you accidentally squeeze them (getting trapped between your hand and something you're picking up, for example).
Attached Images

DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:34 PM   #10744
RCC Addict

That's a beauty ^^^ . I've held a good deal of different spiders however a black widow isn't one of them. Even for someone like me that loves spiders and has very little fear of em, capturing a black widow would make me a little nervous ngl.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:45 AM   #10745
Rock Crawler

Kaneda's Ducati

4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:48 AM   #10746
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd4ws View Post
Kaneda's Ducati

Is that thing for real...as in, operational and driveable? If so, I WANT it (NOT that I could afford it).

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:54 AM   #10747
Rock Crawler

No, it's just a rendering.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:04 AM   #10748
Quarry Creeper

I had to look up who Kandea even was. I'm pretty confident he'd be riding one of the big four Japanese brands.
hpiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:37 AM   #10749
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I had to look up who Kandea even was.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:46 AM   #10750
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd4ws View Post
No, it's just a rendering.
That's the most realistic-looking MC rendering I've ever seen...and, maybe, that's a good thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I had to look up who Kandea even was. I'm pretty confident he'd be riding one of the big four Japanese brands.
If you don't know Kaneda, you don't know manga...lol

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 12-13-2021 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:08 PM   #10751
RCC Addict

Probably has been shared here before, but this is cool

https://youtu.be/OVxFCMFqH2c

Monster truck rock crawling!

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:40 PM   #10752
Rock Crawler

Spiders give me the heebie geebies
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:46 PM   #10753
I wanna be Dave

Ran across this looking up Ecto-1 reference material, the 1a on 3 wheels going around a corner

all because of one of these,

was also looking up some reference material on this big, beautiful beast, for the same reason.

Last edited by BJoe; 02-03-2022 at 02:49 PM.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:05 PM   #10754
RCC Addict

Seen this in the google story thread a couple days ago. Im a ford guy, but it does look pretty tough

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:23 AM   #10755
RCC Addict

That other one was a bit grainy, lets try that again

indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:36 AM   #10756
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
That other one was a bit grainy, lets try that again

I've seen a couple of other renderings of the Ramcharger... OMG
OutLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:02 AM   #10757
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutLore View Post
I've seen a couple of other renderings of the Ramcharger... OMG
It is cool looking...but, as indicated, nothing but a computer rendering. Of course, if Lamborghini, Jaguar, and (coming soon) Ferrari can make SUVs, I see no reason why Dodge couldn't made a X-over based on a Charger.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 03-04-2022, 02:28 AM   #10758
I wanna be Dave

A couple pictures from Kilauea’s latest eruption

The parking lot(had to get one with the truck!):

The walk to the crater:

The crater:

Was able to pick up the crater wall behind the lava lake.

And for those who care, all of these are taken on an iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Blitz Concept One
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:03 AM   #10759
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
A couple pictures from Kilauea’s latest eruption
That first pic looks like a vehicle chassis sticking up on the right
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:37 AM   #10760
Rock Crawler