Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: I Love/Hate RCRC........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default I Love/Hate RCRC........

............I love it because it forced me to create what I have needed and created, but I hate it because I created what I created when I am too broke to afford what I created!!!

The wife and I live in a +/-760-850 sqft house (depending on whether you include the utility room or not). Before this, we had a 1100sqft, one room, apartment ...............go figure. Anywho, when you live in a house this small (without garage), you learn that houses like this are created for basic living, and for a guy that likes to tinker with stuff, houses this big just don't cut it.

To this point, I have been able to get away with tinkering with my small projects on the coffee table or kitchen table, then cleaning them up when I am done. This process was working okay with this new love of rc crawlers, but recently, this love has taken over the living room.......................and it is just too much to simply "clean up." Finally, and something that I have really known for years, it was time for MY space. No matter how big, I needed some space to work on my small stuff (my mom, with full garages, lives about two miles away for big stuff).

So, we had this old a$$ shed sitting in the backyard, and to be honest, I never really looked at it as a work space at all. It was a rusted out POS that I stored my motorcyle, my lawn mower, and a few other things in. If you had asked me how big it was, I would have told you about 6'x6'. From the outside, it was covered with brush and trees so it looked really small.

Then, about two weeks ago, I took a closer look at what was there. I had to measure it three times, but the damn shed was actually 10'x10'! And better yet, it was sitting on a 11'x10.8' slab. Hell, we have a second bedroom that is 10x11, and we have found all kinds of ways to use that much footage!

And BOOM!!! The Robb storage shed/workshop began. I took off this week (unpaid), but only got four real working days in on it. The first was spent cleaning it out, cleaning the slab, and getting the sill (sp?) plate down, so there is really only three days of construction on this, by myself. This is a crappy pic since it was taken at night and there is plastic covering a lot of it since we are expecting rain/snow most of the day tomorrow.

THIS IS ABOUT 110 SQFT OF FREEDOM FOR ME!!!! if you have lived in tight quarters before, you know how valuable this much room is!!!

oh, and PWI, so forgive my running on
Attached Images

Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I know where your coming from. I finally bought my first house. before I lived in apartments with no work space. I spend 50% of my time in my garage.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:04 PM   #3
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

That's awsome Robb! That must feel great to be completing.

I would probably go nuts if I did not have my garage to go to.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Enjoy your kingdom!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:25 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Glad to see ya got a little space to work on your junk. I remember before I built my shop,it sucked not being able to do stuff,having all my tools crammed up in boxes,having to work in the gravel and only being able to work on pretty days. RC's don't require much space in a shop. A little shed like that will probly be enough room to build RC's. Heck,with a little work,a decent work bench,power,heat for the winter and a few good tools you should have a nice little shop there.

My wife is such a clean freak,heck,I can't even bring my truck in the house,let alone work on it in the house. I'd go nuts without a shop.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #6
06 Super National Champ

Where's that cool shed commerical when you need it?

Looks like it'll be a cool spot to build stuff.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:43 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Sweet....I have a shed I might do that with. I don't I'm to lazy.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:18 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Okay, I feel like a dick now. The house I live in now has a 402 sqft garage. I keep telling my wife, "God, I can't wait for the end of March. It will be so cool to have an 800 sqft garage to work in"

I remember living in a 620 sqft apartment. Doing my R/C on the kitchen counter.

By the way, looks sweet Robb, don't forget the TV in there.
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:31 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I have a garage as well but I do like doing some work on our dining room table. My wife has never minded. I do clean it up after I am done.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:59 AM   #10
R.I.P. Chip

Very nice! I have been gathering supplies for a while. I have an RC shop on the books to be built here real soon. Mine is gonna be just a little bigger than yours at 12X14. I can't wait!
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:54 AM   #11
CSR
RCC Addict

I have a 12'x16' workshop out in the back yard. It stays cluttered up with with lawn tools, camping/fishing gear, and left over parts from other 1:1 projects...... so that leaves me one corner to devote to r/c stuff, roughly a 4'x6' area. I plan to clear everything out in the spring and build a full length work bench across one side, with lots of shelves and plenty of easy-to-reach electric outlets. ;)

CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:28 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

i was working off of my washing machine and dryer table, my wife wanted to add onto the house so i got my own area, its about 20*24 with a 8*4 area for a work bench. she got a 600 square foot addition on top of it, i got a nice garage/ work area, im a electrician so its got plenty of light, you can see a few but i have 2 more 8 foot strips going in and 2 4 foot strips over work area, plus some lights that can extend out over work area. all outlets over bench are on there own circuit, plus dedicated circuits for compressor and welder. might put a lift in next year for the 1:1, it has 13 foot ceilings

HotRodCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Man I feel your pain on not having enough space.....we have a 1100 sq ft condo w/o a garage and I hate working on the kitchen table ....the lady hates it as well......

But on the other hand we dont have a mortgage or rent ....100% free and clear....decent trade off.
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

i bought this house years ago, needed everything, electrical/plumbing/heating windows. rotten walls blah blah blah, ive been pecking away at it for 3 years, now its almost done and house prices have doubled in the last few years, i have a 160,000 mortgage and a 500,000 house now, then i re-financed when percentages dropped, i only pay about 1200.00 a month now. with my luck now thats its done my wife will want to sell it and do it again.
HotRodCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I feel ya, only got $50,000.00 left on a $120,000.00 house I live in now. The one we are building would sell to the man on the street for around $230,000.00. If you do the math, my payment will be alot more:neutral:.

But on the other hand, got that big garage I always wanted.
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:49 PM   #16
RCC Addict

It is scary that this shop/shed has only made minimal changes in the past month, but lack of time, money, and good weather has slowed progress greatly.

Yes, it will have power in the future, but this becomes an issue. I am doing this thing without permits, and outside of building codes, and according to my local ordinances, this shed is too big, too tall, and too permanant to simply be a shed that can be built without permits. So, right now I am just trying to finish it up simply as a "shed" without any power or anything. Once it is done, and I let it sit for 2-3 weeks without any aggravation from any inspectors, then I will run juice to it. While finishing the interior, I will prewire it for outlets and switches, but I will leave all of that "unseen" for now, then add in "sheetrock mounted" gang boxes. The plan was just to heat it with a small room heater, but it will end up with an electric baseboard with line-v stat. A/C wasn't really considered, but I have a sneaky suspicion that once it gets hot, a small through-the-wall unit will makes it's way in there.

This is how it sits today. To finish up the outside, it just needs painting (that is primer on it now), priming/painting of trim, installation of trim, and caulking/touching up. Then I can work on the inside for awhile.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #17
RCC Addict

And then a couple of reasons why this place was needed.............
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #18
RCC Addict

It looks a lot better than it did. It sure as hell beats my cardboard box.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
It looks a lot better than it did. It sure as hell beats my cardboard box.
you live in a box wow isnt that a lil too high class for you
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Rocks?
you live in a box wow isnt that a lil too high class for you
Yeah well the box is missing the sides and top.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote