Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: My confused tree...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Suck it up!

Question My confused tree...

I've got two identical trees in my front yard about 20' apart. Both planted at the same time, get about the same amount of water and sun, are the same height, size, etc. This winter we had a very brief warm period and the tree to the east decided to start sprouting leaves while the one to the west stayed dormant. Ever since then its internal clock (for lack of a more technical term) has been a few months faster than the tree to the west. It sprouted leaves first, bloomed first, and last week the leaves changed to fall colors and started dropping. The tree to the west is still nice and full and green. Last year they were about a week or so apart in their changes.

Is this tree dying or just confused? I know its probably a silly question, but is there anything that can be done to get it back on track?

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 07-01-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Wrap it in duck tape for a few months Shock it back into time...
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Something is causing the tree stress (obvious I know ). A variety of things could be causing it to cycle out of season from pests, fungus, diseases etc. Without more details and close observation it will be impossible to diagnose. If you are really serious about trying to save it you need to call a arborist. It will probably cost you a few hundred bucks.
GreenRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

If it pushes out a second growth this year then it will probably live but you still need to find out what's wrong with it.

If it loses it's leaves this early in the season and doesn't have the energy to replenish the crown and harden by fall then it's probably doomed.
GreenRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRiver View Post
Something is causing the tree stress (obvious I know ). A variety of things could be causing it to cycle out of season from pests, fungus, diseases etc. Without more details and close observation it will be impossible to diagnose. If you are really serious about trying to save it you need to call a arborist. It will probably cost you a few hundred bucks.
When it bloomed, it looked just as healthy and full as the other one when it filled out. I mow and weedeat around them every week and hadn't noticed anything unusual. I haven't inspected it super close, but have been keeping an eye on it.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Suck it up!

I went out and eyeballed the tree. It looks healthy, however I did notice some spots on the leaves that I never really paid much attention to before. After inspecting the other tree, I found the same spots, and when I turned the leaf over, I found this...

I'm guessing that is some kind of fungus?
Old 07-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
06 Super National Champ

Your tree has teh aidz.

Speaking of confused trees, check this dude out. Saw this on a recent trip to Mammoth Cave.

JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
RCC Addict

montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Your tree has teh aidz.

Speaking of confused trees, check this dude out. Saw this on a recent trip to Mammoth Cave.

That is the uber rare "mime" tree. Apparently its doing the "holy shit its windy!" routine. Played out if you ask me...

Or it dropped its wallet. One of the two.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
That is the uber rare "mime" tree. Apparently its doing the "holy shit its windy!" routine. Played out if you ask me...

Or it dropped its wallet. One of the two.
Or it got kicked below the leaves?
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

the spots on your tree look like marssonina leaf spots. its a fungus that can survive more than one season. it could be your "west" tree was infected early in its growth and has stunted its seasonal growth and has slowly moved to the other tree. if the "west" tree was infected when it was young it would be hard for the tree to bloom at the right time because the disease would start when there was barely any leaves, and would stunt the leaves growth before they could really start growing. or it could just be a weak tree, think of it like your "east" tree is the jock football player and your "west" tree is a computer nerd. the strong tree's root system would move fast and would take over the weak one, so as the years go by the strong tree will keep getting bigger and stronger and the weak tree will grow with what the nutrients the strong tree doesnt aborb fast enough. i have had "plants" taken from the same "mother plant" as cuttings where one plant got aphids 3 days before the other and the one and the infected plant grew 12" tall before blooming and the other grew 28" before starting blooming and the 28" bloomer started blooming 5 days earlier. they both had exactly everything the same, temperature, light and the water/food was measured individually for each plant

Last edited by dub599; 07-01-2010 at 09:12 PM.
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #12
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub599 View Post
the spots on your tree look like marssonina leaf spots.
I did a bit of research and to me it seems more like rust. It seems to be a common occurance for this part of the country this year. Pollen was extremely bad this spring, and since I live so close to water, fog and dew are present any time the sun goes down which helps the disease flourish.

Example:

Apparently there are some chemical treatments to be had, but I need to do some more reading first.

I really think the weird winter warm spell we had is the bigger culprit though. Up untill this winter they have always made thier seasonal changes within a few days of each other.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #13
06 Super National Champ

Maybe it just needs a hug?

Call an arborist?
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Hmmmmm,was the tree ever stored in a closet?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post

hiding from the potato salad....
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #16
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post

Wait a minute......did you come and douche my tree?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Damn. If not for the pics, could have sworn you were describing an ex-wife. Especially when the word rust was thrust into the mix.
Knarly Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:02 AM   #18
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck norris View Post
If your tree has "come out of the closet" maybee it just needs understanding and support. Don't judge your tree just support it be there if it needs you

Is this really about the tree ?
You are right. I haven't been there, I've done bad things, I haven't been the person I should have been. No one deserves the treatment that I've been giving lately, but understand that it wasn't for lack of love or caring, it was from not understanding and a fear of losing something close to me.

But please, Chuck, you have to quit calling me. I've come to terms with you announcing that you have "the gay", but its not as big of a deal as you believe it to be. People do this all the time, so while you may be a special person, you aren't that special. I am still willing to be your freind, but not like this, not with you being a drama queen (even moreso that before). This is what you wanted, you living the gay life, so please don't be mad at us, your friends, for where you have put yourself.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #19
Suck it up!

Lil' update: The tree never recovered. Got the wife outside to do some manual labor ( ) and cut the tree down, then yanked the stump out with a tow rope tied to my Montero.

So now I'm debating whether or not to plant another tree just like it, or erect a stripper pole/disco ball to ferret out any loose women that may be wandering in the vicinity so that they can be trapped, vaccinated, and fixed before they become welfare sucking leeches.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

So now I'm debating whether or not to plant another tree just like it, or erect a stripper pole/disco ball to ferret out any loose women that may be wandering in the vicinity so that they can be trapped, vaccinated, and fixed before they become welfare sucking leeches.

Decisions, decisions.

Btw where did you tie the rope to the stump of the tree? Cause I've had to dig about 5 stumps out of the ground now and it's a huge pita.
THE CRAWLER KING is offline   Reply With Quote