View Poll Results: LHS OR ONLINE?
LHS 23 35.94%
ONLINE 41 64.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: LHS or Online

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

My LHS's suck, they love people that have that "Support your LHS mentality" and they rape them on prices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by super pig View Post
We at Team Dewey Toys & Hobbies will match or beat most tower hobbies price's and were just a few miles away form you.
If I had a hobby shop near me that did this I would never shop online!
BigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
No, the guy that I was referring to yelled at me and kicked me out of his store.....because, now get this, I brought my RC into the store.....
Gee, that wouldn't happen to be the one off Chimney Rock now would it?

We are seriously lacking here in Houston, which is amazing, seeing as we are the 4th largest city in the US.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by super pig View Post
We at Team Dewey Toys & Hobbies will match or beat most tower hobbies price's and were just a few miles away form you.
The question is though will you match Towers prices with the member discount? Members get 60 off a 300 purchase which is hard to beat.

If course I wouldn't mind spending a little extra at the LHS if they had decent prices, good service, and at least some of what I actually needed.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #24
RCC Addict

My LHS is okay on crawler's but for crawler's the only thing, you can get from him is the Crawler. No parts, no support for them, nothing expect the crawler. But for nitro's, short course, 5B's, there's everything for them.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

My local stores are very good for certain items but when it comes to crawler stuff their just not in the game.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Gee, that wouldn't happen to be the one off Chimney Rock now would it?
Yes. I hope that guy goes out of business...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Yes. I hope that guy goes out of business...
Just don't get the psycho old lady in there going off on you about how you are trying to scam them. How was I doing this might you ask? I had a friends 12 year old son with me wanting to use the track, they wouldn't let him because I wasn't his parent, so I told them I was his brother. I even let them call his mom. The I get a lecture about radio frequencies all the while trying to explain to her it didn't matter because I had 2.4ghz rx/tx.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #28
Keep Crawling in Crawling

I used to always try to buy my stuff from local hobby shops, but have found that most of the time they do not have what I am looking for or the prices are high enough that buying online is well worth it. Plus I have found that most of the vendors on RCC have what you need at a lower price plus some of the best customer service around. I have always supported the vendors on RCC and have never been disappointed.
Cruzin Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Just don't get the psycho old lady in there going off on you about how you are trying to scam them.
Haha....I dont go there anymore.....and I let everyone I talk to know about my experiences with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin Illusion View Post
...but have found that most of the time they do not have what I am looking for or the prices are high enough that buying online is well worth it.
Yep, agreed. Sometimes I will visit the 2nd closest shop to me and they might have what I need.....if they dont, then I get the "we can order it" line as the guy is browsing the Tower website.....well, no crap, I can order it too and I dont have to drive back down here to pick it up!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

So far, my LHS has matched every online price I've presented. They are just a block away and since I'm in a power chair, it's only a 10 minute ride weather permitting.
Knarly Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #31
RCC Addict

I use my LHS to get things like tools,paint stuff, various hardware and little random things. I bought my two mini crawlers and several replacement/hopups there to. I buy the other stuff online, kits, vendor stuff, and other things. TCS is one of my favorite online stores as my stuff allways gets here in 2 days Holmes is also a really fast shipper. I use tower a little bit but not much however I do have the "premium shopper" thing
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

LHS when I can but the Supporting venders on RCC have yet to let me down. RC4WD is 3/4 across the other side of the country and I still have a package at the doorstep in 3-4 days! There are a lot of crawler parts you just can't get at a LHS. I do get everything I need for touring car at the LHS!
hogmansp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXt559 View Post
so is that a vote for LHS?

i prefer to go to my lhs but the sudden drop of crawlers in my area has me going online for most of my crawler stuff

but when it comes to the rest of my rc stuff there is no beating my LHS. even if i have to special order stuff he can usually get stuff overnight.
Cycle Art is a great Hobby Shop, but I really don't go there often, his prices are higher on most things, like a standard integy 35T cost me $29. Hobby Town is right down the street from me, and they will price match anything, and then give you a discount.

I still order most things online, mostly because it is much easier and the hobbyshops here just can't get them.

Team Go Nads is 30min away, in Visalia, and going in there is like a wet dream come true! Any Rc4wd part is in stock(boxes of tires/rims).

I say, if your hobby shop can order it, and they will price match, there is no reason to put yourself at risk by shopping online.

Zack
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

the one place i shop the most and recommend

RPPHOBBY.COM
BansheeManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

I heard, a couple of years ago, that a LHS doesn't make all that much money off of kits/RTRs, just a couple of bucks; they make most of their money off of replacement and hop-up parts.

One nice thing about San Diego, there are several hobby shops around. The one down the street is a chain-store, other than knowing Integy sucks they have some eye candy, but really have little clue about RC trucks. The one up the street from that one is where I go to shop, one of the guys that works there is in my club.

One VERY good reason to buy at your LHS....
I was buying my first-ever LiPo, I did my research and came into the store with a load of questions. At the end of all that the sales guy grabbed the LiPo I needed out of the case and put it on a tester before they sold it to me. That LiPo had a bad cell, he grabbed another, it was good. Service like that is why you shop at your LHS!!!
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Every time I go into my local hobby shop the guy guy knows little to nothing and they have to order parts. If I wanted them to order parts for me I would have done it my self at home? My other 2 lhs are not really local but 30 miles away from me. Both shops have been around for ever but customer service in one of them sucks even though they have all the parts I need I usually go to the shop farthest from me cause they have good service even when they are swamped..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
I enjoy shopping in my undies
X2 and the lhs never has any crawler parts anyway....
needs2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #38
RCC Addict

We have 2 LHSs near us which are both @30 miles or so. I use then when I can for bodies, paint, small parts etc, but them dont cary crawler parts and when you start talking about a custom built scaler they look at you like you have a tree growing out of your forhead. I use the vendors on here for most of my bigger items and for the special stuff. I wish the LHS here would carry for stuff for us crawlers but their Bread and Butter is the nitro stuff, planes and trains.
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote