LHS 23 35.94%
ONLINE 41 64.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: LHS or Online

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default LHS or Online

Ok hears the deal I am looking at getting several kits this year. My problem is that I can get them for about a$100 less online than either of my lhs. To me it is a no brainer to take the savings from online and use it on upgrades but have allways been a big supporter of local stores. So what do you think? Thanks
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Suck it up!

Unless my LHS flat out pisses me off, I'll always shop there first. I no longer have a LHS, and I miss having one to pick up little stuff on a whim or during emergencies.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I always try to support my LHS. Somethings just have to be bought online but I would much rather pay a little more at the LHS. Next time you have a problem or question try getting an answer from an online shop, to me that is worth the extra cash.
hellbentrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I support my LHS as much as possible. With that said, if you are looking at saving $100 or more by ordering online, I say order online.
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ask the LHS if they will price match or split the difference. I did on some of the parts I needed to order, and they matched Tower's price. It was still a few dollars more than the cheapest online price, but I would rather give my money to someone I know and like than a complete stranger. I dont get them to price match every item, just the big ticket items. Sometimes i have asked and they just gave a percentage off the total order, Like 15% off orders over $300.00. Being able to get parts today sure beats ordering and waiting for them. Sometimes it is worth the money to be back out playing.
RaleighRCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
I support my LHS as much as possible. With that said, if you are looking at saving $100 or more by ordering online, I say order online.
X2, I'd also check to see if your LHS can do something about the big difference in price.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I enjoy shopping in my undies
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Depends on what it is. There is really only one LHS (about 20 miles from me), that carries alot of the crawler minded stuff and is "into" or interested in the crawler stuff. On the other hand, if I only need OEM type parts like rod ends, shocks, hardware, etc...then alot of times I will get them locally just to save shipping time.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

My LHS sucks. You know its the big one, that always sends out sale fliers and doesnt have stuff in stock. You know the kids run it, and they toss in a few little chickies for eye candy.

Then there was my favorite, but they fired the only good 2 people they had cause this guy is well....., and this woman is a....... They dont have the knowledge and experience they used to. They are just aloof and clueless at times.

If you live in San Bernardino Co. or close to, you know who Im talkin about!

So online it is, plus, I dont have bottomless pockets to keep supporting these LHS's. Most of my buying is off of eBay.
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

I'd say for most stuff, you have to go online to find it, and use the LHS for the little things, screws, Dean's plugs, wire, etc.(if they have it) Fortunately I work at the Concord, CA. Hobbytown, where the owner is into(and very supportive of) the crawling community, so my situation is the opposite, I hardly ever buy online.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The LHS really is a grate place to stop by for the small stuff that you can use for any rig. But the reality of it is they don't have the specialized stuff our many vendors have. At least mine dose not. Like wheels, chassis, axles. It really is a shame.

It would be great if they could order these thing in from our vendors but that has not happened. I try and get as much as I can from the LHS, the savings on shipping alone can be worth it on some items.
Dragon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
RCC Addict

My LHS never has anything, they focus on nitro and planes with only limited anything else.

I shop online, with great places like RPP and TCS it's a not brainer for me.

My LHS always says they can order for me, but so can I, get it cheaper, and have it delivered to me. It's funny how things come back. 100 years ago everything was mail order and only a limited amount of merchandise was available locally.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Everybody has a different situation, a good LHS is getting harder to find anymore, and with the way the economy has tanked, it wont get any easier.
I'm pretty lucky to have an excellent hobby shop here locally, and they have a pretty good distributer, so his final price is pretty fair.
Most of the time, when you factor in shipping and any local taxes you may have to pay, it comes out the same price or better... in favor of the LHS, plus I have it that day. (Or better yet, order through your LHS, it usually means no shipping charges.)
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
so is that a vote for LHS?

i prefer to go to my lhs but the sudden drop of crawlers in my area has me going online for most of my crawler stuff

but when it comes to the rest of my rc stuff there is no beating my LHS. even if i have to special order stuff he can usually get stuff overnight.
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

The hobby shop closest to me has EVERYTHING! But I refuse to shop there because the owner is a dick.....as I've told him before. There is another shop but the arent exactly close to me (~20 miles, but, around here, that could me 2 hours in traffic).....it's easier for me to order.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
The hobby shop closest to me has EVERYTHING! But I refuse to shop there because the owner is a dick.....as I've told him before. There is another shop but the arent exactly close to me (~20 miles, but, around here, that could me 2 hours in traffic).....it's easier for me to order.

X2 the guys at my hobby shop can be pretty snotty sometimes. Like not wanting to order a part for me just cause I buy little stuff from them like screws and stuff. But hey it is hard to find a good hobbyshop that is close to you around here.
THE CRAWLER KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

No, the guy that I was referring to yelled at me and kicked me out of his store.....because, now get this, I brought my RC into the store.....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
My lhs is cool with that, as long as nothings peeking out, and you've got shoes on (sanitary reasons)

I try to support my lhs as much as possible, and in return, they give me good pricing and good support (I once bought a battery that was dead, took it back and had a new one, all in less than a couple of hours, not possible online).

Having said that, I do order a lot of stuff online, just because there are so many specialty vendor parts that the lhs can't carry. Again, that's vendors on here. I've never ordered from Tower or any of the other big names. If it's on their site, I'll go through my lhs for it.

Of course, the other location I pick up a lot of stuff from is the BST forums on here and other rc sites.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisetrucker View Post
Ok hears the deal I am looking at getting several kits this year. My problem is that I can get them for about a$100 less online than either of my lhs. To me it is a no brainer to take the savings from online and use it on upgrades but have allways been a big supporter of local stores. So what do you think? Thanks
We at Team Dewey Toys & Hobbies will match or beat most tower hobbies price's and were just a few miles away form you.
super pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Online!!! Unless I had a Plane or a Train.
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote