Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: What's wrong with today's kids?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Man do I understand this...

I'm a 20-year Navy Chief, a lot of the kids that are coming in to the service today want me to explain to them why they have to do a job and what is in it for them. My standard answer to that is, "You'll get a paycheck and not have my boot in your ass." At 6'4", 250lbs, they tend to take the threat seriously.

A lot of it you guys have hit right smack on the head, these kids are not raise by parents, they are raised by the X-Box and Internet, that is were they learn their social skills.

Also, I think it is do to the lack of fighting in schools. When I went through school you got an ass-beating if you were a mouthy bastard, that in itself taught you some manners. Now, you can pretty much say what you want with no repercussions. The internet allows these kids to be cyber-toughguys...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

As a society in general, we seem to have failed in maintaining a foundation of decent basic values, like integrity, self respect, and consideration for others.
When Lawyers out-number Doctors in double digits, and former convicts or 'Gangstas' are viewed as role models. Social misfits, drug and substance abusers are among the top stars of the entertainment world, a 'bad boy' image is seen as a badge of honor, and all the young kids want to emulate their favourites, all because the main stream media tells them that's what's cool, we're bound to have huge problems.
Back in the day, a family unit had two parents, and maybe even grandparents, all living together, sustaining each other, divorce was not seen as a good thing.
We have all become desensitized to the nasty, aweful and wicked things, which were unacceptable, and not even tolerated at all, by anyone who had value in our society in the past.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #43
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I think the kids are just fine it's the parents and educators that are screwed up and should get the blame.
Kids learn what is taught, plain and simple. Shitty kids come from shitty parents.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Kids learn what is taught, plain and simple. Shitty kids come from shitty parents.
I agree.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #45
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I agree.
Somehow I get the feeling that was a jab.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Somehow I get the feeling that was a jab.
Not unless your kids are "shitty"?

Kids are like sponges, they soak up and repeat whatever it is they absorb.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbio4422 View Post
a huge lack of real discipline (the wooden spoon or a belt) is why these snotty nosed kids are getting away with so much these days.

MY EX wife used to say same thing.... I don't believe in hitting...
We won't discipline our kids by hitting........THE F I SAY.......
I told her babe your lil 12 year old brother is smoking marijuana, caught stealing with a baggie. Told cop to f/u when asked his name..........
Yeah i guarantee that little punk would be singin different tune if my mom and her GERMAN DEATH SPOON was whackin dat ass..

The girls I hire these days are complete idiots, no memory, no care in world, complete dumbasses
KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #48
Rock Stacker

My personal opinion is you all have crs. We all seem to forget how much crap we put our parent's through. I also think everyone is to blame for the kid's attitude nowday's when most of us grew up our parents talked to our neighbor's and had a few more eye's in the neighborhood. It's a bitch to know what your kid's are doing 24/7 when we have to maintain job's and multiple responsibilitys and your neighbors just keep to themselves. I also think the internet make's it harder for these kid's to know when you type a response to them if your trying to help or being an ass. We grew up knowing the tone of a person's voice what to do. Kid's nowaday's grow up to fast with all the information at their fingertip's. I do discipline my children and make them work for what they want (even my 5 year old) but i think we can all agree the world is going to hell compared to when we were kid's.
CConROCKS! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Del Montess...
Quote:
They raised me wanting for nothing, but with the good basis that you have to work for what you get. my allowance was always based on what chores I did, and each chore had a monetary value, i didn't do the chore, it was that much deducted from my allowance, do extra chores, get extra money.
isn't capitalism great, my allowance worked the same way. Planting a tree in the yard payed very little but good grades payed very well, so I knew at a young age to use my mind for work not my back. I ended up being a aerospace welder and machinist for the sake of needing hands on work.

Last edited by cro-magnum; 07-06-2010 at 10:40 PM.
cro-magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I think the kids are just fine it's the parents and educators that are screwed up and should get the blame.
Parents yes, but don't throw this onto the educators...at least not the teachers and coaches.

People like to point fingers that it's the teachers and coaches faults. What a crock of shit. There was a time when a teacher or coach could beat a kid's ass when they got out of line. Now the kids stand up and cuss out the teachers in the middle of class and get a slap on the wrist. If the teacher even says anything, they end up suspended or fired or facing a judge!

Parents expect the schools to act as yet another baby sitter, yet refuse to believe when it's their kid that did something wrong.

I coached Jr High Wrestling about 14 years ago. Things weren't that bad yet, but were on their way. At the time, I had this kid Danny who was always disrupting practice. His parents refused to believe that he did anything wrong, and often threatened me when he didn't start. Well, the kid wasn't any good...mainly because he didn't pay attention. One day, I'd had enough. I'd sat him on the bench 3 times for disrupting practice, so I kicked him off the team. I called his parents to come get him. Well, I got called into the school the very next day and was told that he was back on the team because the parents were going to sue the county!

This is just one example. Before you ever blame an educator for today's kids, look at the position that they're in. They are some of the lowest payed people in the community (with college education), and their hands are tied. They're not allowed to discipline the kids, and now, thanks to "No child left behind", they're not allowed to remove disruptive, behavior problems from the class room.

It really comes down to where are the parents?

When I grew up, my parents let me do alot of what I wanted, however, they insisted that they knew who I was hanging out with and I needed to check in at certain intervals. I don't think that either of them ever missed a football game, wrestling match, track meet, or scholastic competition in which I competed. I worked summers mowing lawns, putting up hay, wrenching on cars & trucks, and whatever else I could to make money. My parents were involved and they gave me alot...but more importantly, they made me earn it. My dad was the type that instead of fixing my dirt bike or atv for me, bought me a shop manual and said to call him over if I needed him to hold a wrench. He helped my buy an ATV when I was 12 (with money that I'd earned doing odd jobs for the neighbors). Both my parents worked full time jobs. They just chose to live as a family. We ate breakfasts and dinners together as a family...and still do a couple times a week, except now my wife and kids join us, too.

Yes, times have gotten away from us. People aren't as close to their neighbors as they once were. Now you just have to work that much harder. Instead of just sitting down in front of the tv in the evening, we take the kids to the playground or take a walk. Yes, there are more interesting things to do with what little free time we have, but there's nothing more valuable than spending time with the family. If more people did that, we might not have to have such conversations.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Some of the stuff mentioned has been going on for decades, Dad noticed it growing up during the 40's and 50's in rural Iowa, I saw it in the 80's and 90's growing up in the Chicago Burbs, only thing that's changed is the year on the calendar and the technology available to the youth of America. Chances are things really started going down hill with the baby boomers and their parents and just has seemingly gotten worse since then.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Parents are the problem.
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #53
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Not unless your kids are "shitty"?
Far from it. I thought you were talking about me, not my kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIFE View Post
MY EX wife used to say same thing.... I don't believe in hitting...
We won't discipline our kids by hitting........THE F I SAY.......
My wife is the same way, though in the beginning I was not. I grew up being spanked, and brought that experience to the table when our son was born. However, I learned that a psychological responce to bad behavior work just as well in most situations. If we have to dicipline our son all that needs to be done is a simple grounding or removal of one of his privlidges. You'd think it was the end of the world.

He understands that his grades are directly linked to his supply of and access to toys and video games, that his behavior at home is linked to his bedtime, and that his actions on the computer regulate the amount of time he gets to spend on there. This past year he was an A-B student, went to bed at 9 pm without issue most nights, and gets plenty of computer time.

I'll admit that he is a bit spoiled, but he caught on to the value of money at an early age. Since the age of 6 he looks at prices before he asks if he can have something at the store. If its $5 or less he knows he has a good chance of getting it. More than $10, he'll say "wow dad, thats cool. But too expensive, huh?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConROCKS! View Post
My personal opinion is you all have crs. We all seem to forget how much crap we put our parent's through.
Pretty much every kid had a time when they are a PITA, I don't think anyone is claiming otherwise. Things are different these days though. The rules of engaugement have changed.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Pretty much every kid had a time when they are a PITA, I don't think anyone is claiming otherwise. Things are different these days though. The rules of engaugement have changed.
I would have to agree with this. We all had our moments but alot of kids today that moment seems to last all their whole lives.

True story i had a 25 year old "kid" working for me. When i gave him his yearly eval it had some good and some bad. Not derogitory in any way just constructive critisism (like showing up to work his assigned schedule). The next day his mother called me and wanted to know why i was being so mean to her little boy. She also informed me he would not be coming back to work as he would be looking for a job where they offer only "positive praise"- her words.

That about sums it up IMO
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIFE View Post
my mom and her GERMAN DEATH SPOON
Haha.....my mom used to use a wooden ping pong paddle.....until she broke it on my one day and I laughed.

The dad's belt....well, that's another story.....I never laughed.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

all the talk bout "not" being able to dicipline your kids ???....i had some trouble with my teenage son when his mother kicked him out of her house....when he threatened to run away, and then on his bike he went....i asked the state police here in PA when they got here, what are the PA laws on dicipline for my kids in PA....ready for the shocker folks, he told me anyway i see fit as long as it doesn't involve a trip to the ER for broken bones or stiches ....i asked are you serious, then when i bring him back here make sure your talk to him that he knows that....never had any trouble with him after that .............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
True story i had a 25 year old "kid" working for me. When i gave him his yearly eval it had some good and some bad. Not derogitory in any way just constructive critisism (like showing up to work his assigned schedule). The next day his mother called me and wanted to know why i was being so mean to her little boy. She also informed me he would not be coming back to work as he would be looking for a job where they offer only "positive praise"- her words.

That about sums it up IMO

now that there is a mamma's boy in every sense of the word .........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

I'm friends with several members of our local county Sheriffs Dept. They all say the same as the PA State Police. AS long as there's no injury and no real signs of a history of abuse, they're all for disciplining children...especially teens. I have a buddy that dragged his (at the time) 17 year old son out in the driveway after the kid disrespected him, cussed him out and then said that he'd beat his dad's ass.

Lets just say that after he picked himself up off the ground, Jr never back talked his dad again. Now, 2 years later, they have a very good relationship. He went from a 17 year old drunken degenerate to a responsible 19 year old who holds a $20+ per hour job and barely if ever touches alcohol. Since the incedent in the driveway, he has been more respectfull to myself as well as other adults (that i've witnessed).

Sometimes a good old fashioned ass-whoopin' is all that's needed.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Haha.....my mom used to use a wooden ping pong paddle.....until she broke it on my one day and I laughed.

The dad's belt....well, that's another story.....I never laughed.
Did we share the same parents and I not know it?

Seriously I am with Duuuuuuuude on this, kids are a product of their parents.

As far as spanking goes, it all depends on the kids personality. Different kids require different kinds of discipline and you have to use what works with them. My son is a hard core type A personality so sometimes spanking has to come into play, however it's alast resort and never done in anger. Most of the time losing toys/privileges or standing in the corner hands behind the back with the nose to the wall works great.

The manufacturing plant I worked at for five years showed me what crappy parenting has to offer. Useless little rejects who talk trash and have no respect for anyone. They question authority constantly and you have to baby them to get any work done. I had one running his mouth to everyone and their dog how he was going to "kick my ass". Being a manager I simply approached him about it, I had no intention of touching him, I am not stupid and don't really care for fighting anyway. However, the whole time I spoke with him about it in a very firm but low voice he was shaking and there was fear in his eyes. His direct supervisor told me later he ran off and was in tears. This wasn't my intention, I just wanted him to understand he had to respect and follow instructions of the management no matter what he felt about them. I guess cussing like a sailor, having numerous tattoos and being able to tell off your mommy doesn't make you a real tough guy after all.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Did we share the same parents and I not know it?
Your mom broke a ping pong paddle on you too?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote