Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: What's wrong with today's kids?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default What's wrong with today's kids?

It used to be, kids respected their elders and would listen to advice and take in and learn from their surroundings. Now, they just seem to expect something for nothing, and now they throw immature threats and insults around instead of being respectful.

Not only have I seen this far too often around where I live, but even more so on the boards. Of the under 18 crowd that I've communicated on here in the past year, I'd bet that only 2 or 3 % of them are decent members of society. The rest are little E-tough douchebags who think it's cool to act tough.

Where are these kids' parents? In my day, I'd have had my ass beat multiple times if I ever acted like that.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

i agree... im originally from so-cal and i see it even worse out their......we cant discipline our kids anymore...carry guns or defend ourselves with out imprisonment.........just remember we are protecting ourselves from ourselves.....looks like its helping dosent it?......but yes i agree to many kids just dont give a ish about respect,manners or anything in between
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I agree and I see it quite often.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I think it's from the whole "We want our kids to have it better than us". Parent's incomes are higher, therefore more "free" crap is given to the kids. As a result, kids expect stuff to be handed to them with little or no effort. That spills over into their social life, etc.

If and when I have kids, they will earn (in some way) the things they are given or get, when they are old enough to understand responsibility.

Just my thoughts.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Its far worse in the cities, or in rural areas where there is one big company that employs most people. Those better-off families just raise entitlement into the kids.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

a huge lack of real discipline (the wooden spoon or a belt) is why these snotty nosed kids are getting away with so much these days.

Last edited by robbio4422; 07-06-2010 at 11:00 AM.
robbio4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

discipline
bivens22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
Powered by Awesome

what? guys, Kids were never greatfull, respectful or "looked up to their elders". The only thing that has changed is the perspective and the current lack of discipline.

And whats up with the boys wearing tight girls jeans? whats up with that? seriously!

You cant tell me that anyone here did anything described in the above post? the only old people i looked up to were those who could whoop my ass. case in point. Discipline = respect.

Last edited by TwistedXT; 07-06-2010 at 11:00 AM.
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivens22 View Post
discipline
i figured i was doing something wrong there.. i even tried goggling it for the correct spelling. ty good sir
robbio4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I heard someone say that they're that way because they have so much information at their fingertips with the internet, be it truth or not... that they feel they know more than us adults! My fifteen year old step daughter thinks she has it all figured out already!
Bad Attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

NP, Robbio. I think the fact that everyone is afraid to bust their kids' asses is the problem. I got onto my son the other day while shopping. I could not tell you how many ugly faces I got from other people. I have taught my son to respect others, and to not act the fool when in public. I love it when people threaten me with CPS. I think that is great! They won't spank their own hellions, and they want to tell me how to raise my kids.
bivens22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedXT View Post
what? guys, Kids were never greatfull, respectful or "looked up to their elders". The only thing that has changed is the perspective and the current lack of discipline.

And whats up with the boys wearing tight girls jeans? whats up with that? seriously!

You cant tell me that anyone here did anything described in the above post? the only old people i looked up to were those who could whoop my ass. case in point. Discipline = respect.
I will dissagree with this. My kids were raised to respect there parents and adults.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
Powered by Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
I will disagree with this. My kids were raised to respect there parents and adults.
exactly - you just proved my point in your statement - you RAISED YOUR KIDS.

with these days - most couples are divorced or both parents work and the kids are left to their own demise. Lack of raising and lack of discipline. That's where the problem is. Lazy parenting.

and to also prove your point more - i was a shit cause my parents were divorced when i was 12 and neither gave a rats ass what i did. When i graduated high school their reaction was literally "really?" - let alone when i went to college and now have a career. i did most of my "head out of arse" growing up in my 20's... with and from friends who grew up with a foot in their rear.

Last edited by TwistedXT; 07-06-2010 at 12:03 PM.
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedXT View Post
exactly - you just proved my point in your statement - you RAISED YOUR KIDS.

with these days - most couples are divorced or both parents work and the kids are left to their own demise. Lack of raising and lack of discipline. That's where the problem is. Lazy parenting.

and to also prove your point more - i was a shit cause my parents were divorced when i was 12 and neither gave a rats ass what i did. When i graduated high school their reaction was literally "really?" - let alone when i went to college and now have a career. i did most of my "head out of arse" growing up in my 20's... with and from friends who grew up with a foot in their rear.
I'll buy that
Old 07-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
RCC Addict

discipline works and I thank my parents for it everyday They raised me to treat other as you want to be treated! At 22 I just took over the family business at the beginning of '10, own 2 cars out right and a motorcycle, and live on my own with my girlfriend in a decent rental house (until the economy gets better) have a decent education all because of the way my parents raised me. yet ALL of my friends from high school that think everything should be handed to them and not earned dont have much to show now.
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
RCC Addict

My mom and dad, have been very good parents to me, I think. They feed me, they put clothes on my back, and they put a roof over my head and guide me and teach me what I need to do and what not to do. They'll bust my hind end when I miss behave or don't do what they asked. But everything I have I have earned. All of my rc's, every crawler, every part, I paid for. Im way over a $1000 right now into rc crawling, and it gives me a different look toward it then if it would have been handed to me. I have respect for it, I don't just throw it somewhere and leave it for a week or 2 and go bust balls with it when I do play with it. I drive my crawlers mutiple times a day. Sometimes i'll go through 3 or 4 packs in my 3300mah's. My parent's are proud of me, for everything i've worked for.

Then there's the kids at school. The brat's that get everything handed to them, the lowsy sob's. Never had a lick across the ass, or hit a lick at a tab for anything. Both of my parents grew up poor, always had to work for what they wanted. I work for what I want. When I want something I work for it, and I get it. Weather I haul hay in the summer, bush hog, mow lawns, Wash the family's semi's whatever it is, I'll do it, when im told and how im told. Right now I have 3 Chromed out 379 Peterbilt's that the aluminum needs polishing on. They have just about everything on them chrome. It makes me good money, and I get what i want. When my buddy's from school come over they'll ask, "Whoa I bet these crawlers cost a fortune, what did you do to get your parents to buy these for you?" I'll reply "They didn't. I worked for money and bought them."
I can't stand how kids are raised these days even though im one of the kid's being raised these days, but I work for what I want and I don't whine when I can't afford it. Most kids will lay down in the store floor beating the floor crying and screaming for mommy to buy it, I feel like knocking the whine right out of those kid's faces. Kid's doing drug's, tobacco, and drinking. There's 3 boys in my 8th grade class that seem to be "hard asses" they all smoke weed, dip (or chew), and drink. What do they have for it? Fried brain cells, mouth cancer, and there liver destroyed. Man, just what every kid needs.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Those better-off families just raise entitlement into the kids.
You're 50% right. Seems like kids these days are the "entitlement generation", whether wealthy or not. They think they deserve everything without having to work for it. My wife's daughter is like that. She thinks everybody owes her!
The biggest problem is discipline! With both mom and dad working, there's nobody there to bust these kids' asses when they do wrong.
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #18
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I got raised with a sense of entitlement, a spoiled brat who could whine to get stuff. It really makes me hate my kiddie self sometimes. Luckily, I got a job when I turned 16 and started paying for my own hobbies. Once I realized just how hard I had to work for just toys, it made me realize how much harder my parents had to work for the rest of life's expenses. After college I wasn't ready to be "grown up" but I did it anyway because I just hated being on the teat, cause that teat won't always be there. At least I was fortunate enough to get college paid for, that's surely something to be thankful for. '
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I grew up in a rather wealthy part of Northern California, in the east bay. My family is well off, but my dad was born during the depression and was raised during WW2. He knew hardship and what it was like to go without. He went into the military and then to college for his civil engineering degree, then worked for Contra Costa County until he retired. I wouldn't say I was spoiled as a kid, but I got the things I wanted along with a lesson from him to appreciate what they gave me.
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I was raised by my grandparents. Nuff said.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote