Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Anti-Virus.....FREAKIN VIRUS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Anti-Virus.....FREAKIN VIRUS

I've been running the Free AVG for Years and never gotten anything it couldn't handle....Today.. I check my normal things online. "X" out of every window and headed out the do with the Family to see Grandpa. Well 4hrs later I come home and straight to the Computer. The Internet is up and running with 9 windows open telling me to buy Antivir Solution Pro... This damn virus as locked me out of every program on my computer. Media player, photoshop CS2, Adware everything.. I can't even run a system restore. It says every file is infected.. So With no programs. I can't burn copies of all our files. But it did let me get it all on an external Hard drive.

How do you get rid of something like this?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
I've been running the Free AVG for Years and never gotten anything it couldn't handle....Today.. I check my normal things online. "X" out of every window and headed out the do with the Family to see Grandpa. Well 4hrs later I come home and straight to the Computer. The Internet is up and running with 9 windows open telling me to buy Antivir Solution Pro... This damn virus as locked me out of every program on my computer. Media player, photoshop CS2, Adware everything.. I can't even run a system restore. It says every file is infected.. So With no programs. I can't burn copies of all our files. But it did let me get it all on an external Hard drive.

The last time I got one of those "Anti-Virus" virus's I searched youtube and found a tutorial from some techie that helped me go through and fix the things that the "virus" changed in the registry. It worked good because I'm kinda computer illiterate.

Good luck, there are quite a few of those out there.
4VRYNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VRYNG View Post
The last time I got one of those "Anti-Virus" virus's I searched youtube and found a tutorial from some techie that helped me go through and fix the things that the "virus" changed in the registry. It worked good because I'm kinda computer illiterate.

Good luck, there are quite a few of those out there.

I have been dealing with a similar yet less violent attack for a couple of weeks. I recommend a wipe and reload but DON'T use your external hard drive for ANY reloading. It needs to be well cleaned if not wiped as well.

Several contemporary viruses attach themselves to all .exe files within a system...sounds to me like your situation.

I usually wipe and reload once a year. This go-round I let it slip about 18 months and got slammed through a backdoor. Fawking assholes. I'd love to "buy a drink" for a virus author.

Norton, Spybot and Crap Cleaner have been good to me and the last two are free but beware...there is NO SUCH THING as a free lunch. Who do think writes this shit?
Knarly Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thats what I doing right now... I got my internet back and programs back. Still cleaning it up thou...
Old 07-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thats what I doing right now... I got my internet back and programs back. Still cleaning it up thou...
Did you actually "wipe" the drive or re-format it? Re-formatting may not eliminate all threats. Go figure...
Knarly Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Start your computer in safe mode with networking, download Combofix. Run t iin safe mode and your computer should be ok.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Start your computer in safe mode with networking, download Combofix. Run t iin safe mode and your computer should be ok.
unless you are running windows vista or seven. if you are then download malwarebytes and run it. i have had trouble getting combofix and vista based operating systems to get along. also scan your external drive with a good antivirus, like malwarebytes.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus, it is an anti-malware. While it finds many viruses, it will not and can not replace a complete anti-virus.

I run Microsoft Security Essentials as my Anti-Virus and use Malwarebytes as a back up for the problematic items.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:

Helps to have am IT guy on the team.

Send me a pm with your # and we can go from there.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Disable system restore as well before running it, or it will find it's way back sooner or later. also download combofix from bleepingcomputer.com, combofix.com and combofix.org will just make matters worse

Fortunately this is a malware, not a virus, it is a scam and just a major pain in the ass. The reason your AVG free (great application) could not clean this is, this is malware which is a form of spyware\adware and not an actual virus (good thing).

Edit: Just noticed Matt's post above, if you have an IT pro on your team, reach out to him!
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by foproy View Post
unless you are running windows vista or seven. if you are then download malwarebytes and run it. i have had trouble getting combofix and vista based operating systems to get along. also scan your external drive with a good antivirus, like malwarebytes.
I would have just ran that, but it infected every program... EVERY SINGLE PROGRAM.... Nothing would run, most windows wouldn't even open up... But I did a search on the lab top on this virus. Found a site with a way to remove it that was updated just a few hours ago...

First I had to download iexplore on to a flashdrive. Then install it on the desktop of the infected computer. I had to run it multi-times at once. But that stopped Virus for a while.

This allowed me to open all my programs back up. Next step was to disable my proxy servo under LAN settings.

Once that was done. I ran malwarebytes, Adware, Superantispyware, ccleaner and Auslogics BoostSpeed. Restarted after each program if needed. Seems to be fine now.

But iexplore stopped it in it's tracks. It's a scary looking virus thats for sure, but it's not deadly....
Old 07-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
Disable system restore as well before running it, or it will find it's way back sooner or later. also download combofix from bleepingcomputer.com, combofix.com and combofix.org will just make matters worse

Fortunately this is a malware, not a virus, it is a scam and just a major pain in the ass. The reason your AVG free (great application) could not clean this is, this is malware which is a form of spyware\adware and not an actual virus (good thing).

Edit: Just noticed Matt's post above, if you have an IT pro on your team, reach out to him!
My malwarebytes wasn't outdated.. I think thats what got me. I haven't ran it for a few weeks.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I have fixed a few of these issues.

First go into safe mode.

Go into windows antivirus and shut down all incoming requests. This will slow the virus from clogging your computer.

Get into the AVG file on your C drive and delete as much as you can. Some it will not let you delete. This will cause AVG not to run right. Go to control panel and then uninstall it. If you try this first it will lock you out.

Then uninstall Firefox if you use it. For some reason it tag teams with it and creates havoc.

After that you should be able to reboot and be OK.

I redownloaded Firefox and AVG and have been fine since.

This has worked on 3 different computers that I have worked on. Vista seems to be the hardest. XP and 7 seem to be the easiest and you can just uninstall the AVG.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I did this to the "T"... Seemed to work great. I did uninstall AVG and reinstall it.

http://free-pc-guides.com/virus-remo...al-guide-02825

I run opera and my wife runs firefox still. And I run Vista...
Old 07-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Well I ran an auslogic program and an avg Window popped open. Next thing I know everything is infected again.

Going to do the same as I did before. But going to uninstall firefox opera and other small program.

I'll try a resystem restore first.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

anti virus programs are useless. here's why.

1. most virus' are installed manually by the user. in most cases the user will even bypass warnings prompted by anti virus programs.

2. anti virus programs are so resource heavy you might as well install a virus alongside your OS and learn to live with it.

3. anti virus programs are useless at defending against new virus' because they seek signatures specific to each virus. new virus? you're ****ed anyways.

4. See #1.

5. See #1.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #17
LR3
Rock Crawler

I had a kid (we were both 14 at the time) get ticked off at me and he told me "I am putting a virus onto your computer, and in one month your whole computer will compleatly crash." didn't think too much about it at the time, but one month later, sure enough, the C drive was totally wiped out
LR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post
anti virus programs are useless. here's why.

1. most virus' are installed manually by the user. in most cases the user will even bypass warnings prompted by anti virus programs.

2. anti virus programs are so resource heavy you might as well install a virus alongside your OS and learn to live with it.

3. anti virus programs are useless at defending against new virus' because they seek signatures specific to each virus. new virus? you're ****ed anyways.

4. See #1.

5. See #1.
if 4 and 5 are see # 1 why have them? further more, if people are ignoring warnings, then they are idiots. the antivirus that i use goes as far as to block websites entirely that have viruses on them, and lastly the problem the op had was not a virus, but another type of malware that installs itslef and tries to look like antivirus to get your credit card information and download a bunch of other viruses. as far as how rescourse intensive they are, no matter how bad they are you have not seen the computers that i have where they were completely frozen and could not even make it into windows because they were so infected. antiviruses are not useless.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

just fixed that same exact problem a month ago... that crap pisses me off so bad
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Think I got it now... Did the same things as before, but all in Safe mode this time.