Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: CADD and RC Crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Smile CADD and RC Crawling

Well i just started my first week of college on monday, i'm going for CADD. So far it's just totolly awesome what i'm learning to do in the cadd software(Microstation V8i). Once i get better i'd like to get a job designing rccrawling/rc cars, or atleast do it alongside were ever i get hired once i get out of school. So I figured i'd post up this thread just to see if anyone else is doing Cadd as a career and If they work on anything RC with Cadd programs.
Im just so excited that i chose to take Cadd, it just seems to be my thing i guess.

Lance
BansheeManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Cadd is awsome Im draftman for Caltrans. While I dont use Autocadd anymore I use Casice and Microstation v8 it is a very fun job I havent designed any RC stuff. Mostly cause im to lazy and Id rather let CDW do that work for me but stick with it and you will find your self a well paying job.
jammin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin311 View Post
Cadd is awsome Im draftman for Caltrans. While I dont use Autocadd anymore I use Casice and Microstation v8 it is a very fun job I havent designed any RC stuff. Mostly cause im to lazy and Id rather let CDW do that work for me but stick with it and you will find your self a well paying job.

Thanks for the reply man, i deffinately plan to stick with it. Everyday im in class i just want to learn more and more, it's great.

-Lance
Old 07-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
20K Club

I'm a civil engineer working for a transportation consulting firm in Kansas City. I use V8i Select Series for work but pretty much stick to the 3D stuff in Solidworks for my RC stuff. It is a drastically different style of drafting but some of it carries over.

I am not a huge fan of Microstation's solid 3D abilities so I don't use it much (other than TIN models and such for topography).

Good luck in school man
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I use Microstation XM Select here at work in rebar detailing. It works in tandem with the ASA rebar detailing and fab software. Been using Microstation for about 10 years since it used project bank...ewww.

All of my templates and other type of RC related drawings I've done were done with Microstation.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks harley&offroader

I used autocad in high school and though it wasn't all that hard to navigate after you use it enough, ive only had 4 days of using V8i and i'm already able to do just as much as i could with autocad. It just seems alot simpler especially the Accudraw function Its a great program, in the next two years i'll be learning Microstation V8i, AutocaD, solidworks, and alot more that i cant think of off the top of my head lol. I'm really looking forward to a great career in my future, As i said in my first post I'm excited and committed to doing my best and learning as much as i can. And i dont think i'll have much trouble doing so because my teachers and instructors are awesome people and they make the learning process much easier.

-Lance
Old 07-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

The company I used to work for is where I learned Microstation, and now use it at the present place...but when I came over here, they didn't have the MS yet. I was FORCED to either learn on AutoCAD which is all they had at the time, or go back to hand drafting. I had to use AC for about 3 months till they got my workstation all set up with the right software. Got a good handle on it, but it didn't work in conjunction with the rebar software...so it seemed like a couple steps backwards.

I have Solidworks at home...but I've never really committed myself to learning it as well as I know MS.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Ya i hear ya everyone i talk to says that autocad is ''Ancient'' lol now that MS is around. My teachers have told us that we will be using autocad but not nearly as much as microstation. I'm ok with that lol, although autocad in my opinion is a great program i just think that microstation is the now and autocad is the before.

-Lance
Old 07-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeManiac View Post
Thanks harley&offroader

I used autocad in high school and though it wasn't all that hard to navigate after you use it enough, ive only had 4 days of using V8i and i'm already able to do just as much as i could with autocad. It just seems alot simpler especially the Accudraw function Its a great program, in the next two years i'll be learning Microstation V8i, AutocaD, solidworks, and alot more that i cant think of off the top of my head lol. I'm really looking forward to a great career in my future, As i said in my first post I'm excited and committed to doing my best and learning as much as i can. And i dont think i'll have much trouble doing so because my teachers and instructors are awesome people and they make the learning process much easier.

-Lance
With this type of attitude you will do great!
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlerKonceptz View Post
With this type of attitude you will do great!

Thanks, With this being what i feel i can do as a career i figured i should do my best and more to achieve what i need to and get any extra skills that could score me a good career in my future. I think one of the biggest things about it all is being comfortable in going to school, I looked at 5 other schools and they had alot of the same stuff at my school im going to but the atmosphere wasn't what i wanted it to be. I mean how can i learn when i dont like a school. The school i chose is just plain awesome, and i get to do a 3 month internship while im still in school! I'm excited about that, because i feel that getting some 1st hand expierience in the work industry will give me that edge and hopefully help me land a successful career.

-Lance
Old 07-31-2010, 05:44 AM   #11
RCC Addict

What school are you going to?

I'm taking classes at WCCC. Just refresher courses and pre reqs so far, but I'll finally be taking some cadd classes this semester.

And good luck man
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawln Coles View Post
What school are you going to?

I'm taking classes at WCCC. Just refresher courses and pre reqs so far, but I'll finally be taking some cadd classes this semester.

And good luck man

Im going to PTI. What programs will you be working with matt?

-Lance