Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: No Hablas Englais.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #81
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tydl View Post
I disagree, he was refused service based on the fact that he didn't speak the language the attandant came from. Not rudeness, you are reading into it, based on what the attandant said, he was refused based on the fact that he(DickyT) was using the most common(should be national) language in the usa. That to me is like any other type of hate and ignorance.
Sure, the attendant should have made an attempt to at least try to talk to him in English, but unless the store owner said that he could speak just Spanish if he wanted to then there's nothing else that he could really do, their store their rules.

The same thing goes here with bilingualism (English and French), in the smaller city (Dieppe) beside Moncton that is part of Greater Moncton a new law or mandate passed that all new businesses has to have bilingual signage with French coming first. Now, with Dieppe being basically a mini Quebec, you pretty much have to speak French, but they want to try and pass that same thing over here in Moncton, which still being bilingual, doesn't guarantee that you will be served in French. They can put a bilingual sign up but if they only want to serve you in English then it's their choice, there's no law that state's they have to serve you in one language or another, and if you don't like it then go someplace else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
And there's that good old Canuk attitude....."I think I'm better than everyone else and that I'm always right"
Not really, we don't want to take your top spot with that way of thinking and acting
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon12 View Post
Sure, the attendant should have made an attempt to at least try to talk to him in English, but unless the store owner said that he could speak just Spanish if he wanted to then there's nothing else that he could really do, their store their rules.
It would have been nice, I would have liked to give Chevron my money. I wrote and sent a letter of my experience to the address Dez was kind enough to post. I doubt anything will come of it, we will see. I have at least voiced my disapproval with the service received, the most that I could do given the circumstances.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #83
Tossin' Salad

QUICK FIX IDEA #1:

Next time, untuck and unbutton your long sleeve shirt, except for the top button. You are sure to get service then.
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Not really, we don't want to take your top spot with that way of thinking and acting
I just thought his comment was funny......."good god, it's the quitessential american stupidity. Whay would I want to learn about any other culture that is older and much richer in every facet? I'm going to stay ignorant and bigoted in my own little world."

He hates all Americans because of our location, yet, we are the ones who are ignorant and bigoted??.... Wait, what was the definition of "bigot" again?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #85
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
I just thought his comment was funny......."good god, it's the quitessential american stupidity. Whay would I want to learn about any other culture that is older and much richer in every facet? I'm going to stay ignorant and bigoted in my own little world."

He hates all Americans because of our location, yet, we are the ones who are ignorant and bigoted.... Wait, what was the definition of "bigot" again?
You should just let it go man. I think it is safe to say that you missed the whole point.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #86
dkf
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The same thing goes here with bilingualism (English and French), in the smaller city (Dieppe) beside Moncton that is part of Greater Moncton a new law or mandate passed that all new businesses has to have bilingual signage with French coming first. Now, with Dieppe being basically a mini Quebec, you pretty much have to speak French, but they want to try and pass that same thing over here in Moncton, which still being bilingual, doesn't guarantee that you will be served in French. They can put a bilingual sign up but if they only want to serve you in English then it's their choice, there's no law that state's they have to serve you in one language or another, and if you don't like it then go someplace else.
The language situation is different in Canada than it is in the US. The french have been in Canada with a fairly high population for hundreds of years. You can easily say that Canada has two official languages even if they are not completely official. The spanish have been in the US for a long time also but they blended in and were more confined to certain regions of the US

Quote:
He hates all Americans because of our location, yet, we are the ones who are ignorant and bigoted??.... Wait, what was the definition of "bigot" again?
The guys a hypocrite plain and simple. Asshat worthy.

Quote:
You should just let it go man. I think it is safe to say that you missed the whole point.
Yep, just give up and deal with it, move over and conform to the minority in your own country. I'm aware of how things are done in other countries and I'm shure JeremyH is as well.

Last edited by dkf; 08-03-2010 at 10:51 AM.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post

Casey
Whatever dude. I got the "points" that were presented.....apparently you missed the point that I was making.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #88

I never said anywhere that i hated Americans, I have worked side by side with some great americans (we have plants in Iowa, Illinois, Arkansas, Alabama). BUT my central point remains. the overwhelming american attitude is just that, the heck with the rest of the world, we are all that matters. It doesn't matter that anything has been done before, better, cheaper or for the first time somewhere else, America is always right.

Also not saying that other countries don't have that opinion, but I have never seen it universally applied. except maybe germany and italy (any yes, I have also worked in Finland, Italy, Germany, Mexico and Brazil)

Last edited by Just_Gerald; 08-03-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Just_Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #89
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tydl View Post
I do agree but we have established laws to make a stable and safe country, and coming here illegally doesn't make for a good start.

That being said, this thread was a rant by a friend about being treated like a second class citizen in his(our) own country. Unacceptable.
We don't know that the attendant was illegal.

Denying simple service due to a language barrier is wrong. IMO, because of the way it went down, it could be considered a form of racism. Its no worse than it would be if the roles were reversed and the word "wetback" was used.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Yep, just give up and deal with it, move over and conform to the minority in your own country. I'm aware of how things are done in other countries and I'm shure JeremyH is as well.
Wow, talk about missing a point...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Gerald View Post
BUT my central point remains.
I know what your "central point" is.....almost EVERY post I have seen you make on this forum is talking bad about America and it's inhabitants.

We get it, you don't like this country or the people that live here. That is fine.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
We don't know that the attendant was illegal.
This is Miami, I am willing to bet he was Cuban, we do not have many mexican's down this way. Probably here via wet foot dry foot and therefore legal.

He was dressed in traditional cuban clothing, a guayabera and linen pants, which means nothing, because I can buy them too, but given proximity to what is named "Little Havana" it is a marginally safe guesstimate.

I am making no assumptions that they were illegal, that is for another thread, I was\am just upset that I could not get my gas tank filled do to a language barrier in the country I was born in.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #92
dkf
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Wow, talk about missing a point...
Whatever, I didn't miss nothing. I don't think I'm superior or americans are superior and I never said I/We are. I know the history and culture of people from other countries that doesn't mean I have to worship it or accept it. Seems many here are missing MY point.

Last edited by dkf; 08-03-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

I'd like to point out that it seems many have missed my point, so what's the point? It's time to stop pointing fingers and move the pointer forward to bigger and better points.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #94
dkf
Rock Crawler

So whats you point.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
I'd like to point out that it seems many have missed my point, so what's the point? It's time to stop pointing fingers and move the pointer forward to bigger and better points.

This is "Chit Chat".....we are allowed to change the subject many times in each thread.....
Old 08-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This is "Chit Chat".....we are allowed to change the subject many times in each thread.....
Point taken...
Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So whats you point.
See the original post
Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #98
dkf
Rock Crawler

If the thread lives long enough then we will eventually get to bacon and motor boating big boobies. For the record I don't care what ethnic background the boobies are from or if the chick they belong to can speak english or not. The pig better be from north america though.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If the thread lives long enough the we will eventually get to bacon and motor boating big boobies. For the record I don't care what ethnic background the boobies are from or if the chick they belong to can speak english or not.
A point I concur with 1000%

so on with the boobies
Old 08-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #100

Ha finally something we agree on...mmmmmmmmmm

Just_Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote