Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Something for my dad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #301
I wanna be Dave

I had called my dad and asked how he wanted the park lamps to work--he wanted them on with the headlamps. That was a simple wire deal at trhe switch (tie black to the black/yellow). I also replaced the headlights (one was out) and got the headlight buckets all mounted correctly.

Also got the wiper arms polished and thrown on. One of them was bent up and luckily had a GOOD spare in the stash of parts.

I got the spray nozzles for the washers cleaned up and painted along with the air cleaner housing. I will grab some washer hose and get that done tommorow.

My list is shrinking...
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #302
Rock Crawler

Your attention to detail is bad ass on everything you build. Car looks good, looks 98% or better??
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #303
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrik View Post
Your attention to detail is bad ass on everything you build. Car looks good, looks 98% or better??

I think I have turned OCD I can't do anything 1/2, 1/4 or 1/8 assed

Thanks and this journey of mine is almost done...
Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #304
I wanna be Dave

Well its official I have put a day on the book to give my dad his car.

We will be having a big get together (friends/family) at my place on April 9th where we will give him his car in style...
Old 03-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #305
PapaGriz Yo

I have not checked in on this thread for a while. I can't believe how beautiful that car is crash!

Great work, something you and you dad can both be proud of and enjoy. Be sure and get some pics when he sees it.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #306
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
I have not checked in on this thread for a while. I can't believe how beautiful that car is crash!

Great work, something you and you dad can both be proud of and enjoy. Be sure and get some pics when he sees it.
I will have video

Once all said and done I am going to do a video on it...
Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #307
Rock Crawler

I'm so excited for him to get to see it, I'll be doing a countdown to 4/9. Gotta say it's wayyy better then the Axial countdown
TEAM DEBEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #308
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM DEBEAD View Post
I'm so excited for him to get to see it, I'll be doing a countdown to 4/9. Gotta say it's wayyy better then the Axial countdown

Thanks for the
Old 03-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #309
I wanna be Dave

Damn--I am running out of things to do,lol..

Well I am kinda bummed as one of my plans won't be able to be done. I was going to take the mavrick air cleaner and the stock stang air cleaner and graph them together to make the stock one work. Well due to the depth of the mavrick air cleaner, the choke and how tall the carb sits I was unable to mke it work. So for now I chose to just paint the air cleaner. Later on down the road we can do something different. At least the blue doesn't look tooo bad.

I also found the correct vented fill cap.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #310
I wanna be Dave

Next on the list--washer system. The poor nozzles were pretty rough. So I hand sanded and polished the copper tube. The of course some paint.

One thing I could not believe I had a hard time finding and that was 7/64 hose for the washers. Not a single parts store had it--but I had it at work, go figure.

So I ran the hose to the nozzles and down to the pump.

I can't believe how much fluid this bag holds---I was rather impressed.

I ran the system and well--the pump is weak but will work for now..

So what does that leave in the engine bay to be finished---just throw a set of points in the distributor and set the dwell--and I can scratch that off the list.....

Damn...........
Old 04-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #311
I wanna be Dave

Well the last few days have been very trying as I am pushing to get the car ready for this saturday's big event.

Well I started by running the motor hot since everything under the hood has been done. Well I was looking and found coolant on the grill--WTF. I looked and found a leak on the front core/drivers side.

No biggy and I pulled the radiator and soldered it up.

This is where the tailspin starts. Found another small pinhole and fixed that and the upper rad hose goes to twice its size--screw it and ordered coolant hoses and threw them on.

At this point I am thinking its gotta get better now--right..

Sitting here and steam starts coming from under the hood.

Ya coolant ALL OVER. I ended up having to pull the rad 3 more times with the last I redid about 3" of the rad.

So I ran it again and damnit--there is a seep on the passenger side down in the middle of the core to where I would have to remove fins---crap. I guess we will have to add that to the needed replacement here soon list..
Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #312
I wanna be Dave

So to add to the frustration. I had a bad feeling about a noise I heard(suspected the trans) when I first drove it.

Well I have drivin it about 5-6 times to get the brakes adjusted and figure the noise out. Its a loud thump(sounds more like an engine knock) in first gear and you can slightly hear it in reverse. Looking at the manual(I have a factory manual--old skool) and the powerflow it looks like its coming from the countershaft and more than likely the bearings in the shaft. I drained the fluid that I replaced like 4 months ago (And with .4 miles on it) and the magnet is full of metal and the fluid is nice and metalic--crap...

So now I am---well ya...
Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #313
I wanna be Dave

So pushing forward pass the "bad" stuff I am hitting the trunk full bore.

Don never got the upper edge of the quarter panels sealed up. Well I didn't realize it was all the way up to the door jamb. Great. So now I can either pull the interior apart or get crafty. Well I can see all the way down the edge from the trunk so I made this little wonder.

So I crawled into the trunk and shoved my face up against the inner of the quarter panel and gooped the stuff in. I ended up doing 2 good heavy coats and I got it all. Heck I even got the back side of the door jamb. Ya I can fit comfortably in the trunk.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #314
I wanna be Dave

So again I learned more good stuff. I didn't realize this panel went in the spot. It made sense with the holes in the trunk and I had to notch it for the wiring and ran it down under the panel.

I cleaned the insert/cover. Man the colors back then really gotta make you laugh. Its really in good shape and I didn't realize it was contoured to fit the trunk like it does (only been a number of months since I removed it).

I also found the hardware that holds the spare tire in a box of stuff. So cleaned it up and painted it. The only think missing is the factory sizer jack. I had to search for pictures to see what was in there and how it was setup and found the jack sits under the tire to keep it horizontal.

So getting closer. Throwing the car on the trailer in the am and taking it to work to put it on the alignment rack.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #315
I wanna be Dave

Just an update..

I took the car to work and we got it aligned (just a toe set). My parents took me to lunch and they got tabs for it so its 100% legal. So of course I took it for a cruise around town--my dad is going to love this.

I had a problem with the starter--Bendix would not engage 1/2 the time. So I pulled that and tore it apart and polished it up and it seems to be wroking perfect now.

I had a problem with the outside(driver) door knob getting stuck in the open position. I was able to pop the upper door plug and get some grease on the sliding portion(push's against the swivel portion of the handle) of the knob and its working good and much smoother. I also did the same with the passenger.

I got a little bit of the interior cleaned.

The rear window trim came in today and my dad is going to drop that off tommorow so I can move forward.

I still have not heard from Don on the splash shield so I am getting nervous about that.

But its getting closer every day..
Old 04-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #316
Try to Bend it

Can we see the whole car out in the sunshine?
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #317
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
As soon as I get some. I aint kidding either--over 2 weeks of nothing but poor weather and rain. Heck it snowed last night, got up and had to clean the deck of my trailer to load the car on...
Old 04-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #318
Jer
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
x2, not a huge mustang fan, but it's a hell of a color and I am willing to bet it makes the car.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #319
I wanna be Dave

Well the rear window trim came in. It was not too difficult to get it put on. It took a while to work it into place but having good quality clips made a big different from the windshield trim.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:49 AM   #320
I wanna be Dave

If you remember the replacement pony for the drivers fender didn't fit along with the holes being too large. My dad took both down to a local mustang place in bellevue. Come to find out the one that came off the car was for a 68.

So what I ended up doing was clipping the pin on the tail. I then had to remove the spash shield to access the back side of the fender. Since the holes were too big for the small pin retainers I ended up getting creative. I took some 1/16" thick alum and drilled 3/32 holes and cut them into small squares. Put the emblem on and slid the part I made over the pin and then the retainer. Since the retainer holds on the end(when installed properly) I had to put them on backwards and up against the part I made. The emblem now sits firmly and I then gobbed undercoating around the pins. Should hold up.

So now I am just down to bumpers...