Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Something for my dad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #381
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
The car looks sweet Mike!! Job well done!!

Prayers for your dad on a speedy recovery and a soon remission!!
Thank you. Ya the car is pretty cool...
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #382
I wanna be Dave

So we had a family get together at my sisters house on sunday to celebrate her birthday. It was a good day I brought my toy, the kids quads and we shot guns.... Good day.

I was helping my mom dig up some ferns when she we had a talk. I knew it was bad when my mom started to tear up before anything was said.

She basicly said the new chemo treatment was again doing nerve damage. This I could tell watching my dad shoot off his .22 earlier. She simply said if it gets any worse he is going to stop the chemo. he doesn't want to be stuck in a wheel chair and wants to enjoy the time he has. He already sleeps allot as is and my dad has always been active and I know it really bugs him. he has his beautiful car sitting out in front of the house and he has no energy to even go clean it or anything of that nature.

He also recently started going thru all his pictures and scanning them to digital format as I think he getting everything in order. This truely saddens me and I still have to talk with my kids but we will wait for a while till we do.

Something else that just broke my heart. I was talking with my dad and he simply said "if anything happens to me son I just want you to know that the car will be yours to stay in the family". I didn't know what to say at that point as I was simply speachless. Of course that will mean wheneve Don wants to use it he will be fully welcome to it.

On a positive note the new dash bezel/cover came in so as soon as he is feeling up to it me and him are going to spend some time on his baby..
Old 07-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #383
Rock Crawler

Sorry to hear even more bad news Crash, I know nothing would kill me more than losing my dad. Hope you guys can enjoy the rest of the time that you have together whether it be 1 week or 10 years, make sure you do everything that you have ever wanted to do with him in this time you have left.

I'm sure when it's your dads time he will leave proud as hell to have you as a son, you went that extra mile to make your dads dream come true with this car and did a damn good job

Hope the best for your dad!
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #384
Pebble Pounder

@crash: I'm feeling with you man, I'm in the same situation, my mom is fighting cancer as well, but the chemo doesn't help.
They are trying now something new on the market, her last chance, but it doensn't look good for her.
That's totally killing me.
Indaflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #385
Quarry Creeper

I just spent 2 hours reading 20 pages of the most wonderful, sad, emotional and heartwarming story. Give your pops all the best from the my family to yours.
skipxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #386
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGcrawler418 View Post
Sorry to hear even more bad news Crash, I know nothing would kill me more than losing my dad. Hope you guys can enjoy the rest of the time that you have together whether it be 1 week or 10 years, make sure you do everything that you have ever wanted to do with him in this time you have left.

I'm sure when it's your dads time he will leave proud as hell to have you as a son, you went that extra mile to make your dads dream come true with this car and did a damn good job

Hope the best for your dad!
Thank you.. Ya he is very proud of what me and my brother did for him and takes any chance he can to say so. I am just honored to have been able to do it plus it gave me time to spend with Don who I love to death and is more like a brother than a brother in law.

But ya I will make sure to spend any time I can with him..
Old 07-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #387
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indaflow View Post
@crash: I'm feeling with you man, I'm in the same situation, my mom is fighting cancer as well, but the chemo doesn't help.
They are trying now something new on the market, her last chance, but it doensn't look good for her.
That's totally killing me.
I am truely sorry to hear. This disease touches many of us either first hand or a loved one. But my heart goes out to you too and I am sure I know exactly how you feel and what your going thru..
Old 07-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #388
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipxor View Post
I just spent 2 hours reading 20 pages of the most wonderful, sad, emotional and heartwarming story. Give your pops all the best from the my family to yours.
Kinda like a good book isn't it and glad you enjoyed reading it all....
Old 08-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #389
I wanna be Dave

So my dad is still doing his chemo and started his 18th--yes 18th round last weds. He has been super excited to hit every car show he can and finally got a 3rd place for his class--all he could talk about...

So this morning he came over to hang for a while and work on his car. We had 2 projects to do but only was able to do one due to more parts needed for the second.

But he rolled up with a smile as it was a nice sunny day and he simply LOVES to drive the car. Today my mom had said its crazy how much that car has helped his quality of life. When he's beat down due to the chemo (usually about 10 days after his treatment) he will slowly wander out to his car and do something to it.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #390
I wanna be Dave

So the 2 tasks to do was the cluster and the bushings for the clutch/brake(I think they call it the equalizer bar). Unfortunately we needed the cast aluminum end pieces so we didn't touch that today.

But his cluster bezel was looking REALLY faded/old with everything else around it all shiney. So he ordered a new one and the plastic lense.

So I carefully pulled the cluster out again,lol. Thats ok I did not mind one single bit as I got a chair setup for dad so he could sit back and enjoy the time.

So ya--now it really looks bad compared to the new one.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #391
I wanna be Dave

So as I was putting it back in I kept telling my dad I wish I would have used a better/stronger paint on the dash. But my dad kept saying it looks just fine and is 1000% better than it was--but for me its not good enough,lol. I told him I would not mind this winter stripping it down again and using some good quality single stage enamel on it that will hold up to typical use. My dad just simply said--it looks fine son,lol.

One thing that drove my parents nuts--no damn cup holders (its one of those things that once you have--you can't go without. heck I am the same way). But he found one that was just perfect. The color and stitch was a perfact match to the new interior.

So we looked up some needed part numbers--dad said goodbye and hopped in his baby and drove off with a smile.... Was a good day....
Old 08-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #392
LR3
Rock Crawler

This truly touches me. I lost my dad when I was 8 years old. He tought me everything about cars and is the one who got me intrested in offroading. I think it is awesome what you have done and are doing. I am praying for your dad and family.
LR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #393
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3 View Post
This truly touches me. I lost my dad when I was 8 years old. He tought me everything about cars and is the one who got me intrested in offroading. I think it is awesome what you have done and are doing. I am praying for your dad and family.
Sorry to hear about your loss bud....
Old 09-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #394
I wanna be Dave

Figured I would give an update..

Dad is doing great and so far no really bad side effects from this round of chemo except short term memory which we noticed shortly after his first number of rounds of chemo. He went in about 2 weeks ago for another CT scan and the leasions on his liver and tumor have shrunk again but not allot but we will take that..

So his number one passion is photography. He has done it at a professional level for many years and 3 years ago he got one of those things of a lifetime and that was the main photographer for the Evergreen state fair. Some may remember last year after he was diagnosed he still went and did the fair. Well that time came again 13 days ago and he eagerly jumped in with my mom being his sidekick this year. Both my parents have had a blast I got a chance to hang/help him yesterday and something I will remember for the rest of my life and I pray he is able to do it again next year.

So a week before fair he went to another car show(like his 12th) and finally got himself a big old trophy and boy was he proud.Here is an article from the local monroe paper granted they got a few facts messed up but thats alright by me.
http://www.monroemonitor.com/main.as...ArticleID=2416

My dad also has another stack of parts sitting here at my shop and soon will be back so we can give it a little more love and hang with dad some more.

Thanks for everybody's support thru this last year as it has not been easy but memory making..
Old 09-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #395
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
So my dad is still doing his chemo and started his 18th--yes 18th round last weds. He has been super excited to hit every car show he can and finally got a 3rd place for his class--all he could talk about...

So this morning he came over to hang for a while and work on his car. We had 2 projects to do but only was able to do one due to more parts needed for the second.

But he rolled up with a smile as it was a nice sunny day and he simply LOVES to drive the car. Today my mom had said its crazy how much that car has helped his quality of life. When he's beat down due to the chemo (usually about 10 days after his treatment) he will slowly wander out to his car and do something to it.

man that is clean.hope your dad is still doing well.great job.prayers sent to him and your family.
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #396
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Dad is doing great and so far no really bad side effects from this round of chemo except short term memory which we noticed shortly after his first number of rounds of chemo. He went in about 2 weeks ago for another CT scan and the leasions on his liver and tumor have shrunk again but not allot but we will take that..

So a week before fair he went to another car show(like his 12th) and finally got himself a big old trophy and boy was he proud.Here is an article from the local monroe paper granted they got a few facts messed up but thats alright by me.
http://www.monroemonitor.com/main.as...ArticleID=2416

That's AWESOME Mike!! Glad he's doing well and winning the VC award must have made his day!!
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #397
MODERATOR™

Yeah, that's awesome man.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #398
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
That's AWESOME Mike!! Glad he's doing well and winning the VC award must have made his day!!
It certainly did. As we were cruising around the fair grounds yesterday (they gave him a gold cart to get around ) I asked him what he is going to do with the stuff he wins for the car. His "man" cave (and it really is) is full of seahawks and mariners stuff so there is no room for his pony. I had said he needs to build something in the pony cave (as I call it) since this winter the car will probably sit and he will need something to do. So he said he will have to build something or a case of some sorts.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #399
RCC Addict

Wow... I'm speechless. I just found this thread today and have spent the last few hours reading it... sometimes with a tear in my eye, others with a smile. What you and your family have done is just plain outstanding. My best wishes go out to your dad and family. Hopefully he keeps his health and has plenty of time to enjoy his new toy... in the meantime you get to enjoy the good times you have given him. Subscribing for all future updates. Where's the new wheels?
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #400
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys....

I am hoping this thread will touch one single person who is either in a similar situation or just bring awareness. I know for me I am in my early 40's and I never thought about the mortality of my own parents even though I lost all my grandparents at an early age.

Just make sure if you have parents to honor them and spent what time you can with them.. One other thing make sure to never leave anything unfinished--those who are older will understand this....