Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Something for my dad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #101
Hateraide

You got more done tonight along with pics?

Cody
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
You got more done tonight along with pics?

Cody
But of course cody

I will be making progress every night
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 AM   #103
I wanna be Dave

So tonight was a little slower of progress but progress none the less..

I got the new valve cover put on. I still prefer the stock one all painted up--but my dad just loved it.........

Old 10-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #104
I wanna be Dave

So time to lay on my back. I got the new hat put in and its in there solid now.

I got all the un-needed holes in the firewall sealed up

Here is the new firewall mat with needed areas (at least I thought so at this point) cut out.

I chose to slit it in a few spots rather than pull stuff out(steering colum/brace). So once in place I just used some spray adhesive and put it back together. The only hole I had to add was the upper heater hose hole.But thats in and done.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:19 AM   #105
I wanna be Dave

So I had looked at options for upgrading the braking ability and talked it over with my dad. For now we are just going with stock stuff and before there big trip next year down Route 66 we will look at some upgrades(disk brakes). So for now will be stock. But I got the new master cylinder installed and line from the master to the Tee made.

So tommorow if all goes as planned I will have the system bled/brakes adjusted and tires on and back on the ground.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

So I dug out the freshly painted HVAC case and made a new seal around the motor(seals to the firewall).

And installed it--man that looks soo much better than when I pulled it out. I also used the support bracket that was there(was not used prior)

Old 10-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

By request(and I had to agree) I pulled the radiator back out and threw some paint on it..

Old 10-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

So one thing that was bugging me was the fact that the interior was going to be new but yet the dash looks AWFULL!!!!!! The black paint is peeling to show the blue underneath it. Well come to find out to install the new defront ducts I have to pull the pad off the metal dash. SO I gently worked it off--and it was a slow process to get it off but I was able to with no damage to it. I did find its in EXCELENT shape. I also found there are 4 studs on the backside that has no nuts on them--so that will be fixed when installed.

And after more work I was able to totaly strip everything off the face of the dash that needs to be removed for paint. So I got a start on sanding it last night before I ran out of steam and will attack it again when I get home.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #109
Rock Crawler

Man I can't wait to see this thing done. Looking good.
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:34 AM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Made progress this evening (damn work cut into it). But my finger tips are sore as there are allot more little edges to sand down. Just the steering column, very underside and the edges of the dash to do and its ready to go to the next step.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:35 AM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hende View Post
Man I can't wait to see this thing done. Looking good.
Thanks Hende--its moving forward!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Well it was up early after a short nap,lol. Well I looked at seeing how to get the steering column out of the way--and figured it out. Its more a steering tube than a column. So I got the last of the dash stuff sanded down. Once I got that done I happen to look up--and damn the A-pillar looks just as bad. So that too got sanded down up to the cover piece where the headliner starts.

So now its all taped/masked and prepped.

All primered up.

And painted. I am really happy with how it turned out. Its going to make a HUGE difference on how the interior is going to look.

A pillar.

I dissassembed the steering tube and cleaned it all up. Greased the upper bearing, turn pivat and cleaned the turn signal switch. Primed and painted that as well.

Perfect timing as I am totaly exhausted and need to catch up on sleep and back to it early in the AM..
Old 10-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

So this morning after the paint had a chance to dry I went and pulled all the tape/paper. I am very happy how well it turned out.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

The coil bracket was--you guessed it--rusty,lol. So I grabbed a new one.

So I put in the new temp sensor and coil and finished up the wiring there--so thats DONE!

I pulled the drain plug on the fuel tank and drained the 6 year old fuel from the tank. It of course smelled old but looked incredably good. Once done I finished up the fuel line from the car to the pump--this is much better than it was.

So I threw a few gallons in the tank--thats DONE!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

So I had a problem after I put the brake master in but chose to ignore it and press on with other things. It was time to go back to it. After I got the master installed and the new hardline made from the master to the 4 way TEE---well when I was tightening one of the new lines there went the damn threads. That was one of the lines that was near impossable to remove so I figure thats what damaged it.

So I had looked around and there was no listing at my parts store I use (good place and knowledgeable folks). Ok I am under the gun and got an idea.

Here is what I came up with.

When I tried to install it I chose one little change on the main feed line. All I had to do was bend 2 lines slightly to make it work.

So once I got to that point I bled the whole system with only a couple small easily fixable leaks(some times you gotta crack a line and reseat it). Once done I adjusted the drums--Another thing DONE!!!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Its starting to feel great now that I am able to put more things into the DONE slot--and I am getting closer to being ready for paint.

Now here is another DONE thing and one thing I was really excited about--its now sitting on its new shoes!!!!

So now the hood and trunk lid are ready to be hung back onto the car!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #117
I wanna be Dave

So putting right along. I got the heater hoses done except hooking them up to the heater core and sealing them to the body. Waiting for the defroster duct assembly to show up--will need the extra room to install it and the heater hoses will be in the way once they are hooked to the heater core.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:36 AM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Next I dug into the dash pad and getting it cleaned up to install.

One of the 4 studs that holds the pad to the metal portion of the dash. For the record they are 10 24.

I cleaned it with a toothbrush and some special cleaner we use at work. I was pretty happy with how nice it looks regarding how old it is.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #119
I wanna be Dave

I went ahead and tore down the cluster and inspected what I could. Ya you can certainly tell its old but you can now see the guages with the lense clean,lol

So I installed the dash pad and this time with all 4 studs and all 8 screws and it fits MUCH better now than it did before. I also installed the wiper switch and new headlamp switch along with the ignition switch and cig lighter. All the bezel pieces were worked over with mothers polish--they really look nice.

I also gave this some polish love and I was impressed with how well it turned out--looks gooood.

So I threw the cluster back in along with the steering tube/steering wheel. I am getting closer and it looks sharp now. Dad is going to love this..

Old 10-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #120
Hateraide

Looking Good as usual keep up the good work
Cody
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote