Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Something for my dad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #141
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster Joe View Post
Man this is really cool. I want to be able to do this one day for my dad, but hope it is not in the situation that your dad is in. I wish you and him well and if your dad is anywhere as tough as my grandma and he is, my grandma has been going through cancer treatments on and off for the last 4 years. It has been trying but she refuses to give in and it sounds to me like your dad is fighting like a champ. Keep up the good work and all will be good.
Thank you and hope you do have the chance to do something like this under different circumstances..
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #142
I wanna be Dave

Well I was able to get all 7 broken 1/4" bolts done. My first one I tried an easyout and it was rock solid. You could tell they were throughly rusted in place.

The key was to start with a small drill bit to get you center and work your way up. If you are nads on with your center hole your golden. I then worked my way up to a 3/16" drill bit and I was able to get the bolt to unscrew inwards. If your nads on you will have a winding of threads with zero damage to the threads on the car.

I only had 2 holes that barely nicked the edges of the threads and left some threads that were easily removed with my tap.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #143
I wanna be Dave

So my list is growing small. I decided to clean the area behind the rear seat. The stock divider between the trunk and seat was glue to the body and left crap stuck to it.

I also cleaned both sides of the car where the steel panels go that are next to the rear seats. There was some sticky goo which I assume is to help with the panels to stay in place. In any case thats done.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Another day of chomping thru stuff.

So I had one broken bolt left to take care of. One of the front bumper bracket bolts broke off.

What I typicly do when they are broken off in this manner I just plug weld a nut to the bolt. After welded I soak it down with PB blaster. I have been very successfull using this technique.

I was able to crack the bolt back and forth about 1/4" when it popped the bolt again--these bolts are VERY soft.

So I just simply drilled the bolt out and ran the old threads out with a tap.

So I grabbed the my dedicated grinder with a big ol wire wheel and sucked on some red dust for a while. Got both sides cleaned and then killed the rust and painted them up.

So I can put that under my DONE list....
Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #145
I wanna be Dave

I went ahead and got a couple of the cables made to get that out of the way.

The starter cable.

The ground cable

Once I get the battery tray I can finish up the last 2 cables.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #146
I wanna be Dave

I decided to change gears and decided to tackle the passenger seat I started. So far the lower seat was the hardest. But I got it done with the seat tracks all bolted down. Thank goodness I chose to leave the drivers side togehter so I would remember how the springs/cross cable went. But the seat track works like silk..

It turned out pretty decent.

The back cover turned out harder than I thought. I thought I would be able to pop it right on--but it took some trimming where the clips go thru and I had to bend the clips a tad here and there.

One together--well almost. I need the trim parts to fully finish it. But I am getting there.

Just for giggles--and something else to get my dad excited.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #147
I wanna be Dave

Time to dig into the drivers seat.

Way back when I dragged the seats into the back area of my shop an insert had fallen out of one of the seats. I thought nothing of it but yet kept it and stuck it in the pile of removed seat parts. Well when I did the passenger seat I didn't notice anything missing.

Well when I tore the driver seat back apart I noticed the stop that lets you slightly adjust how far back it goes was not there. Well I looked at the spot the adjuster screws into and it was just a hole--found where the insert goes.

So I fixed that up and should be good to go now.

Now I knew the seat base frame was broken(have a new one sitting here).

But I didn't relize it was THAT bad.

So I got the seat back frame cleaned and painted

Just like the passenger seat tracks I tore these apart and cleaned them and replaced the studs and threw some paint on them.

I haven't completed the seats but I have completed the mess from tearing them apart--so I can put that under the DONE list,lol...
Old 10-26-2010, 12:58 AM   #148

Coming along nice man. Can't wait to see it finished.
Cookie Monster Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #149
Rock Crawler

man killer works still can't wait to see her done. How has your dad been doing?
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #150
I wanna be Dave

Here is an update on my dad. He has had some agrevating pain the last week and finally had to go to the ER last night. He was admitted and all my mom could say was there was a blood clot.

I left work early today to go visit him in the hospital and see what was going on.

I guess an after affect of the chemo to some people is blood clots. One had formed in his left leg and a piece broke off and traveled to his lung. The doctors are sure it can be corrected with meds(blood thinner). But he is in good spirits and feeling some pain still and hopefully will only be there a couple days.

As for the car waiting to hear about the guy doing the paint/body but hoping to load it onto my trailer in the next couple days and haul it to his place.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Well my dad went home today and said he is feeling great....
Old 10-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #152
I wanna be Dave

Ok I got the seat base all done with the new seat frame. It turned out just as nice as the passenger side. So now I can move the car in style and not sitting on a milk crate,lol.

The seat back frame took a little work mainly because the pivat arms (that connect it to the seat base) were bent out of shape from the broke seat base. So it took a little work to get them back into shape but the seat back is done except for the back cover.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:20 AM   #153
I wanna be Dave

I went and swapped over the trunk lid and threw in the latch so it will stay closed. I also put both doors on and somewhat got them aligned.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:24 AM   #154
I wanna be Dave

Now this will blow your socks off. This has to be some of my best work. Look at how nice the battery mount and cables turned out--its da shit,lol.. No Pm's please regarding me making more--ha ha ha..

See--total PIMP my ride stuff there...

The battery mount has not shown yet so I had to throw something in there for the time being---ya it looks like total butt,lol...
Old 10-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #155
I wanna be Dave

HA---I finally got the damn radio antenea off--little bugger...

I also did a bunch of odds and ends to get it ready.

Ohhh--loook. Dash lights work. Also the under dash lights are NICE---boy my dad is going to like that...

And here the car sits all ready to load onto my trailer tommorow night.

Stash of stuff I gotta take with me.

So the plan is to haul it to the guys place saturday after work. Once he gets it I won't have allot of updated pics. But I do have a few more things to finish up while its gone.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:03 AM   #156
I wanna be Dave

Cool build man! My dad just got a 67 stang and he's only 49 but this thread caught my attention. I'm gonna start buying him some stuff (he doesn't have alot to throw into it) so plan on getting him some stuff he wouldn't normally do, like long tube headers/etc.
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #157
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTCrawlin View Post
Cool build man! My dad just got a 67 stang and he's only 49 but this thread caught my attention. I'm gonna start buying him some stuff (he doesn't have alot to throw into it) so plan on getting him some stuff he wouldn't normally do, like long tube headers/etc.
If ya need reproduction parts let me know and I will throw ya a couple links that I have been using.

Nice--67 is identical to my dads 66'---Have fun with it and hope you get some fun time with your dad on it...
Old 10-29-2010, 01:08 AM   #158
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
If ya need reproduction parts let me know and I will throw ya a couple links that I have been using.

Nice--67 is identical to my dads 66'---Have fun with it and hope you get some fun time with your dad on it...
Will do.

If you wouldn't mind PM'n me some links. Needs a hood, maybe a pass. side fender (someone wire wheeled it ).

Thanks man! Can't wait to see this thing done.
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #159
I wanna be Dave

Kind of an odd feeling---my small stall is now empty..

Old 10-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #160
I wanna be Dave

Stupid rain. Good thing I made a stop at lowes on my way to work and prepaired for a weather change.

So my dad is going to meet me here later today and we are going to cruise up/meet Don and go to drop the car off...