Notices

Thread: Something for my dad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #421
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Something for my dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
Well dude God bless ur pops and ur family... It's real shitty weather here in tn right now lol... I hope and pray that ur pops gets to do all in his bucket list ... God bless

J-bird
Thanks. I know he is planning on going really soon and I hope the weather impoves

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
its been quite a while since i've checked on the progress of this car and your dad.. hope your dad sticks around for a while, its definitely not easy when a very close family member isnt feeling well..

i was also wondering what color that is.. i got my racing mower stripped down naked and its getting painted this color..

"snake skin green". Its a mopar color and seen it on vipers.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2012, 01:37 AM   #422
RCC Addict

swee thanks man!!!
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #423
I wanna be Dave

Its another day and I wanted to give an update for those who have been asking (and thank you).

My dad is doing pretty good but I can tell the chemo has taken its toll on him. Aside from the cancer itself he has lost allot of energy but he tells me he is is feeling better with each day as it leaves his system.

My folks have spent the last couple weeks getting all there affairs in order with a bunch of hard choices to make and my mom broke down again---all I can tell her is we as a family will get thru this.

My dad is rather excited as they are leaving Feb 21th and flying down to Pasadena(cali). The are going to drive over to Arizona for the Mariners spring training and visit family (we have them spread throughout cali). But he is super excited about the trip.

Now onto something cool.

My dad had asked all of us kids to pick something that we wanted that reminded us of him. When we talked about it I didn't have any idea what I wanted. My dad had spent a bunch of time digitizing our family albums and I came across these and I don't recall the day 100%.

Those are me from 1973--ya crazy. That .22 rifle is the gun I learned how to shoot with and the gun my father taught me the proper way to use and treat a gun. When I saw those pictures I knew what I wanted.

I called my dad and talked with him and told him what I wanted. He said it was funny because 2 days prior he had gotten the gun out of storage and it was the only gun that was not stolen when my parents were broken into like 7 years ago.

So we had a family gathering yesterday and my dad surprised me..

So my own sun will learn how to fire a real gun the same way I did..

Thank you everybody for the support..
Old 02-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #424
I wanna be Dave

I wanted to give an update for those who have been asking.

I have been very lucky to be able to spend a bunch of time with my family/dad these past few weeks--been a blessing..

I am still struggling though with having to watch him diminish from what he was a couple years ago because he was soo damn sharp and now struggles with correct words and such at times. This is all due to the after effects of the chemo and we were hoping he was feeling a little better by now.

They left on there big trip and flew down to Cali yesterday where they will get a car and visist our family down there and then over to his big passion--spring training. He was absolutely thrilled as they got tickets for Jay leno and it just so happens that Tim Allen(one of his favorites) is a guest on the show.

I was hoping he had a chance to take his pony out but unfortunately he hasn't been feeling good enough to do so. But we did get out to start it up so he could hear it purr. So once he gets back on the first sunny day I am bailing and taking him for a cruise in the car.

So thats whats happening and thank you everybody for enjoying this little book I have written/shared to this point.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #425
I wanna be Dave

My dad has been trying to enjoy his trip and gotten some time to watch spring training.

My mom yesterday let me know (he didn't want any of us to worry) yesterday he has been experiencing some pain in his lower back the last few days and been getting worse. At this point I don't know if its caused by the growing tumor or not but I suspect so. I was hoping I would have more time before he started having any problems. Before they left my dad gave me keys to everything so if I wanted I could come take the pony for a few days or just a drive but the weather has just been too awful to take the car out.

My dad just let me know they are on there way to the ER I believe in arizona some place. I do hope its nothing big but I do fear the worse..
Old 03-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #426
I wanna be Dave

That's sad to hear. Best of luck to him and the rest of your family....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #427
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Jeremy.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #428
Quarry Creeper

Keep us informed and keep talking. It's very cathartic. Drive the hell out of that pony!
Knarly Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #429
I wanna be Dave

So I had not heard much from my mom or dad along with nothing on FB from him. I figured I would let them be and enjoy there remaining time in california. I knew they had gotten back and called my mom today to get caught up.

My fears were right as my dad did not want any of us to worry to much and he ended up in the ER again due to pain it was all due to the tumor growth and pressure against his back that caused the fracture in the vertebrae.

I could hear the bad tone in my moms voice as my dad is now on morphine due to the pain but in small amounts. My mom said the growth was happening faster that expected and we are supposed to all meet in the next week with the hospice folks.

My dad is now too weak to even go drive his car--this breaks my heart and is just tearing me up. I told my mom the first day of sun I am dropping everything and going take him for a drive...

Thank you for taking the time to read my story to this point and the prayers and wish's.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #430
Quarry Creeper

Man I have all of you in my prayers. Lost my dad last Nov. and it's been tough.
tinycrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #431
I wanna be Dave

I have been sitting here starring at this blinking line and I am glad my kids are not here to see me.....

I want to thank everybody for the wishes and prayers from the bottom of my heart. You all have helped me greatly and I am honored that you have taken the time to read my words and look at my pictures and honored many of you have taken the time to reply

My father is now on morphine constantly and I am won't be able to take him for a drive in his wonderfull car as this evil cancer has spread rapidly thru him and is now even in his bones..

I have had a hard couple days and today me and my mom broke down. She had said she really wanted his car at the funeral and I agreed and I told her I would take her in dads car and thats when we both lost it.

I am so truly honored to have been able to give the gift I did to him..

Again thank you.....
Old 03-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #432
Pebble Pounder

Saying an extra special prayer for you and all of your family Crash. So sorry to hear this update. Stay strong and God bless!
silverback4jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #433
Rock Crawler

Thoughts and prayers to you and your whole family, I lost my dad five months ago and still think about him every day.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #434
I wanna be Dave

Sorry to hear this Mike. I don't really know what else to say.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #435
Rock Crawler

You and your family are in my prayers...
karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #436
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys....

I got up early and headed to my folks and got to spend the whole day there. I did a bunch of stuff around the house to help my mom. I also took some time down stairs to just look and stare. I am just amazed by the cool things my dad has collected from Mariners, Seahawks to his mustang stuff. All of this was truly my dad.

Both my sisters and brother also came over and we all were very touched by what happened next. As some may know my dad was a VERY avid photographer and had worked at the Evergreen fairgrounds as the official photographer for about the last 6 years.

All of the members of the committee came over (like 10) since he was too ill to make the dinner tonight. But they honored him and his years of work with a cool plaque.

Thank you everybody...
Old 03-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #437
Rock Crawler

Sorry to hear this man I wish I could have done something for my dad like what you have done for yours. You are a great man. Try to keep your head high thur this and remeber all the good times.
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #438
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hende View Post
Sorry to hear this man I wish I could have done something for my dad like what you have done for yours. You are a great man. Try to keep your head high thur this and remeber all the good times.
Thank you Hende for the support...
Old 03-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #439
I wanna be Dave

Thank you everybody for the words, the pm's, the text's and messages and the support..

I have been at my folks every day and been able to spend lots of time with my dad, mom, sisters (I wish my brother was). My mom is really enjoying the help as I have been able to help her with things around the house.

Its funny as a young teenager there was a lock put on the door to the garage--because of this guy,lol. Ya I was bad back then with not putting dads tools away. These days I am totally different and quite picky. All of his tools are in the boat house and I did some stuff down there. When I came back in and sat next to my dad "Hey dad, I was down in the boat house and I made a mess of your tools"--He shook his head and laughed. I think he got a kick out of that..

Its really hard watching the change every day in him. He has gotten to the point to where he will talk about things that make no sense and from what I have been told this is normal. Something else cool is his brother came out that I never got to meet till yesterday--cool guy and for never meeting the family (except my dad and mom) he clicked right away.

So tonight I had things at home to take care of so I could not be with him but I called to hear his voice and make sure my mom is doing ok.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #440
I wanna be Dave

This thread has made me happy to see the car built and sad to see your dad's health deteriorate. Spend every moment with him that you can.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote