Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 1:1 AC Trouble Shooting Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 1:1 AC Trouble Shooting Questions

So I have been driving my little 84' S10 Blazer for a solid 19k miles now. Those of you that know me, know that rigs generally don't stay around long. Although it's only been about 8 months, I feel that the little guy will stay around for a while(Hoping to put ALL toy drive train under it some day)

Yesterday, I bought a can of the r134a recharge kit from Walmart. The truck was converted, but it didn't work. So after about an hour of tinkering, I found that one of the slider rods was bent, keeping it from going into the "Vent-AC" selection. Straightened that out and the vent works great now. Then I noticed there was a little Johnny switch(much like the ones we would use for an MOA dig switch setup) wasn't getting hit by the arm. Bent the tab right for it to hit that. Worked great then.

After I confirmed the system worked as it should, ie the compressor started, and I could hear the relay clicking when I turned it on, then I proceeded to charge the system. I did notice that the little radiator thing up front, which I believe is referred to ad the condenser, was hissing pretty good. The can said that it was also a stop leak aswell. So I figured that I would put a good portion of the can into it, in hopes it would stop the leak.

I did turn on the AC to see if I would get anything from it with the little coolant that was in it, with no luck. The best I could figure, is that with the leak, the compressor couldn't build up enough pressure to keep the system happy.

So my questions are:

-Is the leak, causing the compressor to not built up enough pressure, thus causing the AC not to work entirely?

-Would fixing the leak, or replacing the condenser, solve the problem, aside of re-re-charging the system?

-If I decide to replace the condenser, is it as simple as replacing the part(all the 134 has leaked out), or will I have a mess to tend to?

-If I replace the condenser, and that is the problem, will I just simply have to recharge the system to have AC?

Thanks in advance to any help. I am pretty well rounded with cars, but have never messed with AC. And out here, we need it during the summer. Especially since the rig is black!

Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

If the condenser is leaking you will have to replace it.
It is a easy thing to do as long as the lines break loose.Here lately we have had tons of trouble getting AC lines loose.But on the up side new lines are usually cheap.I would also replace the Expansion valve and receiver dryer why you are at it.Another thing to think about is that compressors are usually cheap so you could rebuild the whole system pull a vacuum to check for leaks and fill it once and not have to worry about it again.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

First off, get a spray bottle full of soapy water and shoot all the lines as well as the condenser. The leak will make pretty bubbles.

AC won't work with a leak big enough to hear, so you'll have to replace the part that's leaking, probably the condenser. And any time you open the system, replace the filter/dryer (that soda-can looking thing on the evaporator housing). Then you can charge it again and see where else it's leaking, cause with a hoopty that old it's gonna have more than one.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I would also recommend changing the orifice tube, if it even has a slight blockage the AC won't work (which is possable any time the system is open to the elements.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Condesor itself is easy Discharging and Charing is the most time consuming part.
You really want to change the reciever dryer at the same time!
I am in the beaverton area and work at a local dealer. I might have went to high school with you now that i think about it.
RKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You could always...

microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:07 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys! I will definitely look into those suggestions when I have some time.

RKSTAR:

Where did you go to school? I graduated from Century in 04'
Old 08-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yep century in 04'
Old 08-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Whats your name? Ill look ya up in my yearbook, and see if I knew ya?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Ben Irwin
Old 08-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Oh shit man! I remember you. Im Chris McMullin....

Are you into scalers or compers?