Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Myrtle Beach, SC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Myrtle Beach, SC

So vacation is just around the corner. My fiance & I are leaving the weekend of Sept 11 & will be there for a week. We will be at the Sandals hotel on the main strip.

Ive been told by many many people that there are designated areas to take your 4x4 on the beach. However after just talking with an online rep for the beach I was told no motorized vehicles are allowed anywhere as far as she knew.

So, for anyone in the area or that frequents down there, is there anywhere we can go cruise the beach???
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

As many times as we've been, I've never heard of or seen any sort of area where they allow vehicles on the beach. There may be some places inland that you can go, but as far as the coast I'm pretty sure all of it is protected under the whole preservation of dunes. They used to allow them on the beach back in the 70's and 80's, but not anymore. I think about the only places you can do much driving on the beach anymore is down in Florida, and even that is in jeopardy after the latest accident a month or so ago.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcabner View Post
I think about the only places you can do much driving on the beach anymore is down in Florida, and even that is in jeopardy after the latest accident a month or so ago.
There are some spots along the Texas coast that allow vehicles on the beach.....Matagorda Bay and portions of Galveston (privately owned beaches)...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Coral Crawler

Not any more my friend. Up until around the early 90's in some area's you could. The last time I did was around that time span. The now wife and I drove from the N. Myrtle Beach end up to a wash out around Atlantic Beach, far as we could go at the time with the truck I was driving. The fog was so thick it was dangerous, couldn't see anyone until you where right on top of them (early in the morning). You can still drive on the beach in Willmington NC about 1 hour above Myrtle Beach at Carolina Beach. If you need any info about it let me know and I'll ask my brother, he lives in Carolina Beach, owns Carolina Beach Surf Shop/Another Skate Shop/ Island Kite. He goes out on the norh end mostly surfing/ testing surf equip/ updating surf report etc. Welcome to Myrtle Beach .
beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I thought back in the 90's you could but from what I understand You could only do it during the winter/colder months. I think the closest place to drive on the beach now is maybe Florida or The Outer Banks in North Carolina. But It's a no go around the MB area.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
There are some spots along the Texas coast that allow vehicles on the beach.....Matagorda Bay and portions of Galveston (privately owned beaches)...

I read some condo/cottage reviews that mentioned families taking their 4x4's out on the sand. Maybe privately owned cottages that are rented out allow that?? Arent beaches technically owned by which ever state they are in?? Or are they chopped up along property lines???
Old 08-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
Not any more my friend. Up until around the early 90's in some area's you could. The last time I did was around that time span. The now wife and I drove from the N. Myrtle Beach end up to a wash out around Atlantic Beach, far as we could go at the time with the truck I was driving. The fog was so thick it was dangerous, couldn't see anyone until you where right on top of them (early in the morning). You can still drive on the beach in Willmington NC about 1 hour above Myrtle Beach at Carolina Beach. If you need any info about it let me know and I'll ask my brother, he lives in Carolina Beach, owns Carolina Beach Surf Shop/Another Skate Shop/ Island Kite. He goes out on the norh end mostly surfing/ testing surf equip/ updating surf report etc. Welcome to Myrtle Beach .

I stumbled across the Carolina Beach thing. It appears to be an offroad park??? Or actually the beach??

If its the same thing I saw they claim its "near" Myrtle, closer to the state line. Have any idea how far apart the two are???
Old 08-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You can drive on the beach at Fort Fisher, which is south of Carolina beach. It does have beach access for 4x4's. As long as the turtles are not nesting. Not sure about the North end of Carolina beach. You might Google Fort Fisher and see if the birds or turtles are nesting at this time. Fort Fisher is the only place I know close to Myrtle Beach that you can still drive on the beach. And yes, it is the actual beach. Just follow Hwy 421 south towards the Aquarium. Take the left that goes to the Aquarium and the beach access is on the left. Not sure if you have to pay for access though.

This may help, hopefully: http://www.pleasureislandnc.org/beachrules.asp

Last edited by hvydty1; 08-30-2010 at 10:46 PM.
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote