Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Help Selecting Flat Screen & Blue Ray Player

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Help Selecting Flat Screen & Blue Ray Player

I figure it is time to treat myself to some new technology. Best Buy's recent offering of a Samsung 46" flat LCD with Blue Ray player at $999.00 has tripped the trigger. However, I have an account with Dell so I will be making the purchase form them only.

Today I spent hours on the phone with a lovely young Dell rep (in India) named Ramya. Although very nice and well spoken, she didn't leave me with a level of confidence needed to make a purchase right then and there. I have never owned a flat or anything Blue Ray so I must make sure my selection will do what I need. TV, Wifi, Blue Ray and such technology has left this old man in the dirt. So, I offer my ignorance to the "all things" expertise of RCC. This is one of but a few areas I will ever admit that you youngsters have an edge on me!

Dell has an offering that is a tier or two above Best Buy's and for just a tad over $1200.00 which is right at my budget. I could go $200.00 higher if really necessary. I must also consider a wall mount option to come after I try the stand that comes with the TV.

Here's what I need:

Wifi connection between Blue Ray and flat that will carry both audio (stereo of course) and video signals.

Wifi connection between Blue Ray and laptop with the same end result. If I need to plug the laptop into the Blue Ray, that's OK 'cause the BR will be on my night stand...as long as I can use the flat as my computer monitor when needed. Yes, this will be my bedroom setup.

Here are links to the hardware selected from the Dell site:

LCD TV

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A3561412

Blue Ray Player

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A3609387

Is this what I need?

Last edited by Knarly Nerd; 09-06-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Knarly Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Are you only willing to buy from Dell? I bet you can get a better set up for about the same price of what you are looking for.
minisaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

if you have an HH GREGG nearby go there NOW! i use to always buy everything at best buy simply because i assumed they were the best and gave the best deals. i found out different when i bought my 55" LED, blu ray, and surround package last year. everything i bought was SAMSUNG and i love everything about it to this day.

the reason i say HHGREGG is the way to go is because they work on commission so they will TRY to get your business. i walked in and told them what best buy was selling what i wanted for and what the financing deal was that they were offering as well. HHGREGG beat the out the door price by 2-300 bucks and included an extended warranty on everything i purchased.

HHGREGG!!
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
if you have an HH GREGG nearby go there NOW! i use to always buy everything at best buy simply because i assumed they were the best and gave the best deals. i found out different when i bought my 55" LED, blu ray, and surround package last year. everything i bought was SAMSUNG and i love everything about it to this day.

the reason i say HHGREGG is the way to go is because they work on commission so they will TRY to get your business. i walked in and told them what best buy was selling what i wanted for and what the financing deal was that they were offering as well. HHGREGG beat the out the door price by 2-300 bucks and included an extended warranty on everything i purchased.

HHGREGG!!
What I am trying to learn is not where to buy but if what I have selected will do the things I need them to do and how I need them done. It is comforting to know you like the Samsung products. I have no experience with them at all.

Last edited by Knarly Nerd; 09-06-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

While im not an expert, it does take me months of research to actually purchase something.

(i purchased about 5 months ago but this is what i found.)

Samsung is the bees knees when it comes to lcd and led's. Someway the amount of black makes the picture much better than the competition. Friend has a 5 and Rents just got the new LED 55 and it looks spectacular. I am not sure about the wi-fi, but i do run my computer and PS3 through HDMI and absolutley love it.

my $0.02
scoobydann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydann View Post
While im not an expert, it does take me months of research to actually purchase something.

(i purchased about 5 months ago but this is what i found.)

Samsung is the bees knees when it comes to lcd and led's. Someway the amount of black makes the picture much better than the competition. Friend has a 5 and Rents just got the new LED 55 and it looks spectacular. I am not sure about the wi-fi, but i do run my computer and PS3 through HDMI and absolutley love it.

my $0.02
I'll take your 2 cents and can relate. I've been looking at flats for a couple of years waiting for the price point to arrive and technology to standardize. When these things first came out of course they were pricey but crap...the technology was all over the map. That has now funneled somewhat but there are still a few things about which I'm unsure, particularly the Wifi connectivity. I just don't know what accessories will or will not work in my favor.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I have a Vizio and I love it, it is also affortable. I was iffy about them for a while but they are now one of the top selling TV's out there. The were being made by LG for a while then they grew enough to buy their name out so now they are their own brand. Samsung is nice but for less money you can get a Vizio.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote