Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Who Autocrosses ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Who Autocrosses ?

I have had Jeeps and trucks for the last 18 years. I finally got a fun road car again (08 Mazda3), and even though it's no Evo or WRX ... people autocross them.

I think I'd like to give it a try. I went to a few sites that gave me some limited info, but what websites are the best for someone getting into it?

I'd also like to see some of your pics, vids or read some stuff to help convince me

Thanks
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I have not tried it yet, just haven't had the time. Around here it is the SCCA (sports car club of America). They also do track days for around $175 at the local track! I am dieing to hit the track and drive my car like it was meant.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Search the SCCA site for the closest club, then find out when the next event is and just go do it.

I've taken my mom's Accord to several events, simply because I couldn't borrow anything better and they wouldn't let me run my 3/4 ton diesel truck. [Borrowing my moms car makes me sound like some slacker teenager. That was a few decades ago.....]

Also got to co drive a buddies fairly well prepped and sorted E/SP Camaro one time. I ended up winning the "novice PAX" that day. My buddy usually is usually contending for class win, PAX overall win, and FTC at club events. He can drive.

I'd love to have a dedicated autox'r. 94-97 Miata is my pick. Just need the $$$.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Used to run this beastie, took 2nd in D Mod back in '97.

I think I had $1500 in it Built the hell out of a Fiat 1500 (with Yugo 1100 head for a compression boost) and a few hacktastic suspension tweaks. Having a dedicated race car means you can beat on it that much harder, and not worry about getting to work on Monday.

This is the second race Yugo. The first one ended up on its roof after I experimented with slicks. Notice the complete lack of slicks on this one
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I've thought about it as well, I just have to find somewhere around El Paso.
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
I have had Jeeps and trucks for the last 18 years. I finally got a fun road car again (08 Mazda3), and even though it's no Evo or WRX ... people autocross them.

I think I'd like to give it a try. I went to a few sites that gave me some limited info, but what websites are the best for someone getting into it?

I'd also like to see some of your pics, vids or read some stuff to help convince me

Thanks
I really am in the same boat. After 10 years of intense off-road and trail driving all over the country, I am burnt out.
Trail closures, trail maintenance, expense of having a tow rig, trailer 3 hrs to trails. I guess my whining goes on and on.

My buddy races scca races all over iowa and the midwest with an EVO8 RS. Which apparently is the cat's meow when it comes to racing, its a stripped down machine, manual windows, no stock radio and just a cool ride. He has sank alot of money. I see there are ways to have fun on road courses with minmal money and lots of tuning.

Keep us up to date on what you find. I am interested in a mid nineties miata or possibly a subaru 2.5rs.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
MODERATOR™

I use tah. A lot. 7 years. Every single event for the last 6 years.

The SCCA website should get you what you need to know.

http://www.scca.org/hub.aspx?hub=3

Be forewarned, like the crawling thing can be, the autocrossing can become addictive, too. Especially because it only lasts about 50 seconds at a time. Like little teaser tasters then it's over for a while as you wait for another run or two. Then work and watch everyone else have fun, then finally!!!! you get to run again. Then it's all over, and it's beers and dinner time.

I know I keep posting this picture of the Honda, but it's a good one.

Totally topped out in second gear and barely slowing down for the sharp right turn (in the backround) still completely on the gas as much as you dare, then instantly to the left for a long left hand sweeper as the tires are just past full grip and you're flying! The car is on three wheels there and it's pivoting around wonderfully. A memorable corner for me, especially as it's one of the few pictures I still have, and was taken pretty damn sweetly!

With a Mazda 3 I'd look hard at the stock class. Unless it's already got some mods to it? Otherwise, spend $1000 on race tires and learn to drive it. Then shocks. Then build a trophy case.

Last edited by EeePee; 06-05-2011 at 12:09 PM.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
I am interested in a mid nineties miata or possibly a subaru 2.5rs.
You'll have more fun in the Miata. Stock class, race tires, and learn to drive, hang the ass end out. Then shocks, then build a trophy case.

The Subby isn't in the same league (in its respective class) unless you do crazy things to it. And it still won't turn right. And that means bye bye money.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Harvo I am starting to get into it some because of the new job.
We have a 1962 mini that blows my mind how well it does but the guy has about 30,000 in it We also have a lotus Europa that is pure insane in the corners.
I like to be different so after running my TBSS the other day I am looking at building a fox mustang with a ls power plant that will go around corners and go really fast of course.LOL
Something like this.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
Harvo I am starting to get into it some because of the new job.
We have a 1962 mini that blows my mind how well it does but the guy has about 30,000 in it We also have a lotus Europa that is pure insane in the corners.
I like to be different so after running my TBSS the other day I am looking at building a fox mustang with a ls power plant that will go around corners and go really fast of course.LOL
Something like this.
I could hang with and usually beat those in the Yugo Too bad I wasn't running against 'em Stupid Lotus Seven.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
I could hang with and usually beat those in the Yugo
Yeah, I got yelled at by many because the little Civic would beat em.

You get up to speed quickly and stay at top speed more often. Equals win.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
Jer
Rock Crawler

I tossed my neon around a few corners. Mopar extra high rate springs, koni yellow fully adjustable struts, stock sways and a set of falken azenis and it did quite well. Best thing about this sport is it's not all about raw power.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I used to autocross very seriously for 10-11 years 'til I got out of it in '06. I raced all kinds of cars in dang near every class and competed in both Solo II and Pro Solo. Lots of fun, but can be stupid expensive to compete these days with the high price and commonality of high end dampers (Moton, Penske, etc.) Besides the SCCA's website, I'd recommend sccaforums.com for more helpful info. Good stuff there....or used to be anyway. I haven't visited there in years.

joesbruiser, that's the same flares I wanted for my Fox back in the day. They look like JBA or maybe Maier? I'll always have a sweet spot in my heart for Fox bodies even though they're a bitch to get them to turn worth a flip! They sure are fun, though...

Here's a couple pics of my rides....not that anyone asked!
2001 Pro Solo Champ and 4th at Nationals in CP:

2005 3rd place at Nationals in STX:

I miss autocrossing sometimes....
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I went to a Solo II event today to watch, was pretty sweet, lots of fast cars and great drivers.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
2001 Pro Solo Champ and 4th at Nationals in CP

2005 3rd place at Nationals in STX

I miss autocrossing sometimes....
Nice and nice, nice, and me too.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post

joesbruiser, that's the same flares I wanted for my Fox back in the day. They look like JBA or maybe Maier? I'll always have a sweet spot in my heart for Fox bodies even though they're a bitch to get them to turn worth a flip! They sure are fun, though...
The flares are Maier. I really like the Fox cars and have owned several but they where built to do what fox cars do best go in a straight line.lol......
I am sure all i will end up with is a over powered smoke machine but it will be fun.
If I really wanted to turn corners I could build the little lotus 7 or the Europa we have on top of our fab room at work but I like American muscle.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
MODERATOR™

This was good

Old 06-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

So yeah... This is something I want to try. The Mazda is stock. Even so, it handles great. I definitely think stock class is where it belongs, but I have heard this car will benefit from a front sway bar.

Joe, it looks like the only active SCCA group in TN is in Nashville (out your way) I wish there was something closer.

Is it possible to have fun and race your daily driver without screwing it up as the daily driver?

Out of the many videos I have watched, that one ^ actually seemed fast. What was the noise that kept happening everytime the car got close to redline?
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

RIDE ALONG

my 95 dodge neon stock class scca memphis,tn
jokers_toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
So yeah... This is something I want to try. The Mazda is stock. Even so, it handles great. I definitely think stock class is where it belongs, but I have heard this car will benefit from a front sway bar.

Joe, it looks like the only active SCCA group in TN is in Nashville (out your way) I wish there was something closer.

Is it possible to have fun and race your daily driver without screwing it up as the daily driver?
More often than not, I was racing my daily driver. In fact, the white BMW I posted a pic of was my only car at the time. Autocross is hardest on tires, but other than that it'll just gradually accelerate wear on bushings, shocks, ball joints, etc. But honestly, I think it's less stress that carelessly hitting potholes and such. So you could potentially easily drive over 100k miles without having to change anything but shocks.....which you'd want to replace soon anyway if you got serious about it. If you just want to have fun, then no mods are needed at all.

If you have an open diff, I'd be leary of running a bigger front bar on a FWD car. It can make putting power down next to impossible. If you have some sort of limited slip, then a front bar may be something to consider.

Quote:
Out of the many videos I have watched, that one ^ actually seemed fast. What was the noise that kept happening everytime the car got close to redline?
That was the blow off valve for the turbo. So that happened every time he left off the throttle. Rotary powered Spridgets got really popular after Scott McQueen built one many years ago and started dominating nationally. Something about 450 rwhp, ~1000 lbs., and decent handling coupled with a good driver.

Rarely do autocross videos look fast, but the experience when driving is COMPLETELY different. Otherwise, most of us wouldn't do it.

I say give it a try and see how you like it! Chances are the club you'd run with has some sort of novice program to help show you the ropes.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote