Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: The Dark Tower

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Suck it up!

Default The Dark Tower

I honestly didn't think I'd see a screen adaptation untill long after Stephen King was dead, but I guess not.

Loved the books (read the series three times), managed to get ahold of a few of the comics, and hope the movies and tv episodes come out just as good. Any other fans?

http://screenrant.com/dark-tower-mov...es-ross-77542/

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 09-27-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I freaking love the dark tower series. Been through the whole thing about 8 times now, only book I've read more is The Stand. I started reading SK when I was 10 or 11, and I have about 95% of his books on my shelf.

I've sorta been dreading this since he finished #7, only because I thought the movie It was retarded and The Stand not much better. I read the link and I'm pretty excited now; there's no way anyone could pack 4-5000 pages worth of story into 3 3 hour movies. The TV season sounds like a good way to show backstory/ new parts, while the movies would contain the crazy good parts.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
I've sorta been dreading this since he finished #7, only because I thought the movie It was retarded and The Stand not much better.
I've got the same worries. SK's stuff is so far out there sometimes, I just don't think those producers/directors get it. I'm hoping he's got the street cred to pull some real talent in.

I'm also hoping they don't cast some goofy good looking guy to play Roland. I always thought Hugo Weaving would be good for that. Tall, lanky, a bit weathered, kinda crazy looking, and knows how to handle a gun.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

lobstrosities...LOL
4VRYNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:49 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I would like to see "The Long Walk" made into a movie. It's one he wrote as Richard Bachman. It would make an insane and shocking movie.

I also just watched "Dolans Cadillac" recently. Not total crap, I've seen worse.
4VRYNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

How bad do you think they will make Oy look? SK's mini-series and movies have a horid track record. I'm afraid that this will take the same path.
bivens22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #7

Big fan here as well. My favorite book series. I really hope they do this justice when the movies come out. Can't wait to see who they cast for the main roles. I'd like to see Viggo Mortenson as Roland.
Snowmanx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I hope they don't screw it up like they did with The Stand. That is the problem with King's books, they are so long and detailed it is hard to fit all of the required elements of the story into a movie. The best King movies come from his shorter books and stories (Stand by Me, Shawshank, The Green Mile).

Yes, I'd love to see The Long Walk made into a movie.

Being a Stephen King fan I'll go and see this when it come out, and bitch about it later if it does suck...
Greatscott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Fabulous series, King could make anything frightening....I've read everything he's written ....Christian Bale would make a great Roland. And I can't see anyone other than Whoopi Goldberg as Suzanna....
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VRYNG View Post
I would like to see "The Long Walk" made into a movie. It's one he wrote as Richard Bachman. It would make an insane and shocking movie.
I read it about the time the Stand By Me movie came out and kinda saw the same actors fitting the characters well.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

If they can pull it off, it'll be epic! Like most of you I worry a lot about the adaptation. Mostly I worry about who they will cast, because previous choices for, say the Stand, sucked big time. I like the idea of mixing it with 3 movies and TV, gives them a good opportunity to stay true to the story. Plus, you can get away with so much on TV now, it's pretty much the same as the movies
TEAM DEBEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

It was funny to see this topic post - I just finished the 7th book last week and started reading the 1st book again the next day.

Hope they they can do the series justice, it's soo deep.
swollen goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I also have really like sk books. They're really about the only books I have ever really enjoyed. I've read tommyknockwrs, the regulators and a few others. I bought the first dark tower series book, but couldn't seem to get into it. After everyone talking about it I might just try reading it again. I also couldn't agree anymore about making his books into movies. Their are a few that are good, but the movies never capture the description put into the books. When I read I kind of paint my own picture of what's going on, so the movie will never be as good as the origanle book.
Chevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

i have read the first two books, and enjoyed him, in the third though he fell into a trap of being way to long winded something he does all to commonly.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by foproy View Post
i have read the first two books, and enjoyed him, in the third though he fell into a trap of being way to long winded something he does all to commonly.
I took a hiatus after the 3rd book and didn't think I'd finish the series - Detta was so brutal of a character.

BUT

You have to move on Book 4 is tremendoulsy written and they get better from there. Coming from a guy who was exactly where you are; you won't be disappointed if you keep reading.
swollen goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

When I am at sea, I take as many SK books as possible (I've read The Stand three times); for some reason, while submerged, hundreds of feet under the surface of the ocean, they make sense... I have read The Dark Tower 1 - 5 twice, but haven't read the last one yet. I'm returning back to sea duty next month and I'll put the Dark Tower on the top of my reading list, this time, all of the way through.

While I have been in the middle of reading these books I have wondered what a screenplay adaptation would look like, and really, you could only take this series on chunks and not all at once, you'd loose too much of the story. What I think I would like to see is the story shot in two ways, when Roland is in his world, the world that has "moved on", have it shot in a 'Heavy Metal'-style cartoon. When Roland is in our world, have it be live action. I don't know why, but this just sounds right to me...

Once again, I just hope it doesn't suck.

I wonder what character SK will play?
Greatscott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

ive read a couple of them ,but it's been awhile.guess i'll get them on the kindle. and read them all.
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
I'm a stupid C U N T!

SK has always had it rough when making his books into movies. I just finished watching maximum overdrive on tv iirc its the only movie he was directly involved with. Probably the best bad movie ever made lol.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote