Thread: best toyo truck ever made

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2004, 08:58 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: best toyo truck ever made

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roktoy
Back to my question.......what do you want to use it for??
Jay
funny I would swear austinsclod started this thread? I use mine as a dd and once in a while I get to enjoy the mountains and the beach. So...mountian trails are muddy, dusty, some rocks not to major, the beach is all sand and rocks.
Yeah, he did. And Jay was reiterating that so the thread could get back to his attention.

Quote:
SA?

Didnt know we were talking about money? Just on why it is or isnt a good wheeler? Just about any serious wheeler is going to have money spent on it. How much is another story.
Did you even read the first post in here????!

Quote:
I only know of one guy that has done an engine swap on his taco. But he was a speed freak. He was supercharged and running nos. Last I talked to him he, sold the motor and had a crate ls-1 sitting in the shop. Not too many Tacoma owners complain about the power. Plus the 05's are getting more.
Um, wow, thats great, thanks for the extraneous info. I was saying a first gen+engine swap.

And the 05's are crud, the bed isn't even metal!!!
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2004, 12:02 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Did you even read the first post in here????!
yeah I did, but I would of swore that you and I were talking about tacomas?

Quote:

Um, wow, thats great, thanks for the extraneous info. I was saying a first gen+engine swap.
first gen what? taco? they have the same motor from 95.5 up to 04? ...oh and your welcome for the info.

Quote:
And the 05's are crud, the bed isn't even metal!!!
good note on the bed? I was talking about the motor.
nktrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:12 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nktrnl
yeah I did, but I would of swore that you and I were talking about tacomas?
Yes, but in all fairness he started it.

Quote:
first gen what? taco? they have the same motor from 95.5 up to 04? ...oh and your welcome for the info.
You know nothing about Toyotas. First gen 4x4, 79-83.

Quote:
good note on the bed? I was talking about the motor.
I'm just saying that if the bed is made of plastic, I wonder how the rest of it is made.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:20 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

mud bogging and trail driving

and i am think 36-38's on it do you this the axels would take them
austinsclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 04:42 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave
lol I know alot more then you think. But anyway...when we (you and I) are talking about tacomas and you mention first gen...what do you think im thinking about? Not first gen toyota trucks, first gen tacomas.
nktrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 08:34 AM   #26
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

My point of the qustion is to help answer what Toy might be good for him. Different years and setups will be more suited to different uses.

If you want a rig as a DD, running to the beach, mild wheeling, or snow driving, then the Tacoma will be more comfortable, have more power, but will also probably cost more.....though you'll get a newer truck. Tacomas are very nice. But they are IFS with a rack and pinion steering box.

If your goal is to end up with something for hard core wheeling....especially rock crawling, then you're going to want a solid front axle. Either you buy a 1985 or older model with that axle or you swap one onto a 1986 or newer one. This isn't cheap but can be reasonable if you shop for parts deals over time and can do all the fab work yourself. This allows you to buy as modern a truck or Tacoma as you want and still have the capability of the solid axle up front.

Trail driving is a pretty broad term. A modded IFS Tacoma will handle mild wheeling fine, but if you're tendencies are toward harder core stuff and tires above about 33s, then a solid axle is probably the better way to go.

For mud running in your area......is it best to have a constant front axle clearance a solid axle offers or can you tolerate a variable front clearance as the front dips when the suspension compresses?

To gain the clearance for 36-38s on the Tacoma you'll need serious custom front suspension work (i.e. $$$) and major body surgery. You'll not want to turn those tires with the stock axle shafts or stock steering box. Best bet would probably be to torch off all the front stuff and swap to solid axle components.

Sounds like for your budget your best bet is an '85 fuel injected truck.....if you can find one. You can build on that to get the kind of rig your talking about.

Granted this does give you a 20 year old truck, so there may be issues with age wear of the engine, etc.

Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 10:39 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nktrnl
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave
lol I know alot more then you think. But anyway...when we (you and I) are talking about tacomas and you mention first gen...what do you think im thinking about? Not first gen toyota trucks, first gen tacomas.
I suppose I'm not counting the "second gen" Tacoma's as a truck

Austin, if you want anything larger than 35"s you'll likely just want a solid axle truck, you'll dump a ton of cash into IFS to get it to be that big, not to mention it'll become extremely unreliable.