Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Sponsorship and Rccrawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Sponsorship and Rccrawling

Hey guys im looking to attend as many comps as possible this upcoming year, and i was wondering what it takes to get a sponsor. I assume that I have to be decently good at rc crawling, Have to be able to travel, What else?
any information on this would be excellent.

Thanks for any information,
Lance
BansheeManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Web Wheeling

You have to be awesome like Harley, using the color orange also helps.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Ultimate RC Decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
You have to be awesome like Harley, using the color orange also helps.
and also post extensive build threads that the tech doesn't start till page 18.
BOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #4

Default looking for sponsorship

hi my name is curtis people call me cletter i love rc crawlung i have bin going to a lot of comps im a beginer but like to git in to pro 2.2 my rige is not set up all the way lak of foundings to do it thanks for your time
cletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletter View Post
hi my name is curtis people call me cletter i love rc crawlung i have bin going to a lot of comps im a beginer but like to git in to pro 2.2 my rige is not set up all the way lak of foundings to do it thanks for your time

WTF?! not sure if that was newb sarcasm or not. Hooked On Phonics is lookin for a team driver bud, hit em up
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4lyf View Post
WTF?! not sure if that was newb sarcasm or not. Hooked On Phonics is lookin for a team driver bud, hit em up
I was thinking the same thing.
kennyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyj View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
yea i was trying to figure out what that had to do with anything that the thread was about
lowridinjuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Sponsorship comes like any sport.

Most sponsored drivers simply kick ass.

vendors want their products on the best drivers rigs because that sells the products.

So dont ask, beg or display envy.

Simply practice.

if you start dominating your local scene, and place high in any sort of national event, companies take note.

Last edited by BEELZEBOB; 11-03-2010 at 10:15 AM.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
Sponsorship comes like any sport.

Most sponsored drivers simply kick ass. vendors want their products on the best drivers rigs because that sells the products.
This is true to a certain extent, I've seen some people who have big name sponsors and they couldn't drive out of a wet paper bag if their life depended on it.
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis c. View Post
This is true to a certain extent, I've seen some people who have big name sponsors and they couldn't drive out of a wet paper bag if their life depended on it.

word. you oughtta see this dilhole trav.....nevermind
Old 11-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

They don't hand out sponsorships very often anymore, the economy has hurt that (like everything else). You don't have to win point series or even comps (though it does help). You need to get noticed by the right people, you need to be helpful, you need to show a goood presence at both events and online. No vendor is going to sponsor someone who bad mouths other drivers or who can't spell. They want someone who will make them look good and who they can introduce to people. Being very technical doesn't hurt either.

Keep in mind not all sponsorships are really worth anything. Some want you to represent them and give little to no return. Some will require you to run their products and it will actually hurt you (tires are a good example). Just be careful when you are looking for a sponsor, you may not like what you get.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
They don't hand out sponsorships very often anymore, the economy has hurt that (like everything else). You don't have to win point series or even comps (though it does help). You need to get noticed by the right people, you need to be helpful, you need to show a goood presence at both events and online. No vendor is going to sponsor someone who bad mouths other drivers or who can't spell. They want someone who will make them look good and who they can introduce to people. Being very technical doesn't hurt either.

Keep in mind not all sponsorships are really worth anything. Some want you to represent them and give little to no return. Some will require you to run their products and it will actually hurt you (tires are a good example). Just be careful when you are looking for a sponsor, you may not like what you get.
ya look at parker kiddin
Old 11-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post

Very well said.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeManiac View Post
Hey guys im looking to attend as many comps as possible this upcoming year, and i was wondering what it takes to get a sponsor. I assume that I have to be decently good at rc crawling, Have to be able to travel, What else?
any information on this would be excellent.

Thanks for any information,
Lance

Generally, solid and consistent driving earns the right to a sponsorship. Some companies that I will leave un-named, will give you a hand job, and sponsor you, just so they can pimp their name. You also have to be willing to go to alot of big events.

But honestly, aside of getting some cool free goodies... Why would anyone want to be sponsored? It limits you on what you can run, and no one takes your opinion seriously because you're obligated to say what you run is good because you're sponsored.

I don't have sponsors mainly because I want the freedom to run what I want to. Times and technology is always changing. So chances are, you will be stuck with running some things that may not be the most ideal. A Futaba, Castle Creations, and Vanquish sponsorship would be nice. Those are the only ones I would take personally. But I would still hesitate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis c. View Post

Very true! I have whopped up on alot of dponsored drivers often.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Seems the best way to get noticed is to have a cool avatar.

Example: Chris the Battery Man, Boosted4life, or the best one of all, 2JSC, eagerly awaiting to see what he comes up with next.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Privateers FTW!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys for some good information, I was just wondering what it took to get sponsored, and you all provided the info that i was looking for Thanks

I was just looking at maybe trying to get a sponsor, as i'm going to try and make it to as many big events as i can this upcoming season, and i think that my driving is pretty decent, i'm not a no mistake driver. I pick good lines, and strive to drive better and better at each comp. I've been in the RC hobby for about 10 years. I figured that having a Sponsor would be beneficial, not only for me but also for the company, and for the sport.

Thanks,
Lance
BansheeManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #18
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWTIE View Post
and also post extensive build threads that the tech doesn't start till page 18.
and never gets finished
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #19
Like a boss...

Chris, I think really touches on important points.

You want a sponsor when it's going to help make you better.

Otherwise having a sponsor to just get something free or to say you have one is just for an ego stroke then and long term will not work out for both parties.

IMO - A sponsor should be helping that driver get better and vice-versa. That could be anything too. It doesn't always have to be a t-shirt/hat/stickers or inventory.

It could be help getting that driver into and at events, it could be help designing products that are going to win, access to trying and testing new things, etc. The relationship should be two-way.

I think anytime it's less than that, it's just fluff.

Last edited by mann0mann; 11-03-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #20
Keep Crawling in Crawling

First and foremost I think you should believe and love the product you represent. If you don't then why have it. When I talk with someone about what I run it is because it is what makes me the best I can be and I think it is the best stuff out on the market.

I agree with Mannomann on have a great relationship with your sponsors. You should work hand in hand on improving a product or working on new products.

Your driving skill is not always what makes the decision on being sponsored by certain companies. Your ablility and knowledge of the products you represent and the way you handle yourself is a major deciding factor. A company may have the best part on the market but if their driver shows up with torn up jeans, dirty shirt, uses fowl language, and is just rude to people, what kind of image does that portray on the company he represents. Winning is not always everything, morals, helping people out, and just being a decent human being says alot more than just being the best driver.
Cruzin Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote