Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Chess Anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Chess Anyone?

I have always loved playing Chess and was curious if any of you guys play.

I have always had cheap Chess sets and Im thinking of biteing the bullet and getting a nice one.

So if you play post a pic of your favorite Chess set.

This is the set Im thinking of getting.

Last edited by cave-man; 11-10-2010 at 09:49 AM.
cave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

Nice! I have a traditional light/dark wood set, but it's pretty nice....all the pieces are weighted accordingly and the board has a very nice finish. But I've always liked sets like the one you're thinking of.

I used to play all the time, but my girlfriend doesn't play so it sits in my closet
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

kinda off topic, but how do these chees sets work?

i saw one the other day and was perplexed!
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

This is the site I use for sets.... http://www.houseofstaunton.com/

If your serious about getting a real set just make sure to get something in the 3.75 - 4 inch king height range with correct board square size, I'd also recommend double or triple weighting. Everyone has decorative or fancy chess sets that look cool, but if your going to play regularly get a set that is designed primarily for its ease of use.

OF all my sets, this is my favorite and the one I use for general play at the house.

jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
kinda off topic, but how do these chees sets work?

i saw one the other day and was perplexed!
You play it just like regular chess.....only in 3D.
you can also choose as your move to move the small 2x2 boards to adjacent corners of the 3 big levels to effectively "change" the shape of the playing surface as long as you control that platform with a single pawn.

But yeah its a bitch to play your first couple of times.
you can try downloading the game at
http://www.parmen.com/
Old 11-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #6

This looks fun,

But i've always been partial to

There was a fancy shot glass version i found once, but can't find a picture of it now.

Last edited by Just_Gerald; 11-10-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Just_Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraymond View Post
You play it just like regular chess.....only in 3D.
you can also choose as your move to move the small 2x2 boards to adjacent corners of the 3 big levels to effectively "change" the shape of the playing surface as long as you control that platform with a single pawn.

But yeah its a bitch to play your first couple of times.
you can try downloading the game at
http://www.parmen.com/
Cool.

I kinda know how chess is played, but i never learned or was tought how to play the game.

But man, ever since star trek, i have loved those multi surface boards.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
Cool.

I kinda know how chess is played, but i never learned or was tought how to play the game.

But man, ever since star trek, i have loved those multi surface boards.
You should learn how to play it really isnt that hard and I think it is the ultimate war/strategy game.
When I was younger I always admired Chess and the people that could play it but I thought I wasn't smart enough to learn.. About 10 years ago a friend of mine just got out of re-hab and needed a good clean environment to be in so he moved in with us for about a year. One night when he was struggling he taught me how to play Chess, I bet we played at least 500 games that year and I was only able to beat him once. It was the only thing that could keep his mind off of alcohol because it really takes a lot of thinking and concentration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraymond View Post
This is the site I use for sets.... http://www.houseofstaunton.com/

If your serious about getting a real set just make sure to get something in the 3.75 - 4 inch king height range with correct board square size, I'd also recommend double or triple weighting. Everyone has decorative or fancy chess sets that look cool, but if your going to play regularly get a set that is designed primarily for its ease of use.

OF all my sets, this is my favorite and the one I use for general play at the house.

Nice set and thanks for the link, I never really thought about sets being different for display rather than use. does the one pictured above come as a set? or did you buy the board and peices seperatly? Thanks

Last edited by cave-man; 11-10-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave-man View Post
I have always loved playing Chess and was curious if any of you guys play.

I have always had cheap Chess sets and Im thinking of biteing the bullet and getting a nice one.

So if you play post a pic of your favorite Chess set.

This is the set Im thinking of getting.

Nice set, looks like Limestone and red onyx.

I haven't played much but I have always liked the stone sets like this one.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Would be cool if someone bought this for me for $11,300....

Rebelspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
You should learn how to play it really isnt that hard and I think it is the ultimate war/strategy game.
Chess is very easy to learn.....to master is a different story.

I agree though, it an awesome game. I suck, but it's still so much fun to play.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post

That's no joke. I love to play the game, but I suck at it. My grandfather and I used to play chess a lot, we were equally bad, so we had a lot of fun games...

The secret to chess is easy, you just need to plan at least five moves ahead of where you are, taking into account what your opponent might do; the hard part is planning at least five moves ahead of where you are, taking into account what your opponent might do...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Cool chess sets

Used to play a bunch with my Grandmother about 25 years ago, I miss it. Wasn't very good, but enjoyed the strategies and planning moves well ahead of where the game was in front of you.

My oldest boy might be close to graduating from checkers in another year or so, maybe I need to look into a nice chess set again. Might need to see if my Aunts or Dad remembers where Gma's chess set is.
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:36 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I used to play every day at breaks and lunch with this Russian guy I worked with, when I started to beat him on a regular basis he got pissed, I will have to dig out my board I bought in Tijauna about 25 years ago. Would love to start playing again, guess it's time to teach my son.
4VRYNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Nice set and thanks for the link, I never really thought about sets being different for display rather than use. does the one pictured above come as a set? or did you buy the board and peices seperatly? Thanks
Doesnt really matter, you can buy them as a package or seperately....Personally I have a few Really nice boards and then just buy various sets of peices that i happen to like. The one pictured above I bought as just the peices. For actual tournaments I have a set of their collector series in plastic and use a traditional green/buff rollup board. When you consider a real game can go as long as 7 hours its important to reduce eye strain and have the peices themselves blatantly recognizable. While I'm at it, consider getting a chess clock also. It adds a whole new dimension to the game. I would also recommend starting your "library". I cant even count the books I have but seriously consider getting these 3 books.

Logical chess Move by move by Chernev
the latest MCO
and chess tactics for students

Those 3 books will get you all the basics you need to start playing real chess.... just go thru 1 game a week of the first book, Use the MCO to look up the openings you play and see where you deviate each time and then just do the basic tactical puzzles till you have the patterns memorized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
The secret to chess is easy, you just need to plan at least five moves ahead of where you are, taking into account what your opponent might do; the hard part is planning at least five moves ahead of where you are, taking into account what your opponent might do...
The secret is to calculate all the moves till there are no more forcing moves and evaluate the position. the "bitch " of it is you have to do that in the "time available" and then be able to accurately evaluate the position. Unfortunately "laziness" will forever keep me from mastering this crucial skill. :(
Old 11-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Wow this is getting a lot more response than I thought.

You guys are right learning to play is easy mastering it isn't. I am by no means what anyone would consider "good" but I have a lot of fun playing. I am teaching my 9 year old and 7 year old daughters how to play and it is often the highlight of my day when we get to play.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking chess sets guys! I only have a cheapy plastic travel set and Chess with Friends on my iphone
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I learned chess in middle school. It appealed to me from the start & kind of came naturally.

I used to go to a YMCA during the summer back in grade school & that was my first exposure to it. There were a handfull of kids who played in tournie's and were ranked in the state. The best kid I ever played was a 1,300-1,400??

I started playing online a few years later but quickly ran out of computor opponents that were a challenge.

I play every once in a while now but its hard to find anyone else to play with.

Just like with anything else you have to keep doing it regularly to even maintain your currernt skill level, much less advance.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #19
Got Worms?

I used to play with one of these sets (we had lead weighted pieces i'm unsure if this one comes weighted or not but looks identical)

http://www.chesssets.com/chess-sets/...hcanvasbag.cfm

Now i have a cheap glass set i bought at harbor freight.

I used to know where a good chess set was but not i can't seem to find the one i was thinking of.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Chess Anyone?

I love to play Chess. My eight year old started at six. After teaching her, my wife learned to play too.
Daycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote