Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Web developers, what do you think ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Web developers, what do you think ?

So we are building a new website for our company, One of the tools we want allows us to change colors of a picture from a specific range of colors (125 to be exact), In 28 different designs and about 10 shapes..SO there is a TON of coding to be done.

All of this has to then be used to order the item they "designed"

We have been getting qoutes from different companies, One of the ways was to use an online auctions kind of place, You post up what you need and they give you bids.

From local companies we are getting prices of $10k-30k from these online places we are getting bids of $3k

My question is, How do you figure out what is legit or not ?

3k for any site seems unrealistic
aaugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Most likely outsourced work from India. Good quality and super cheap pricing.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Do you think they would be able to get the job done though ? I dont think i can trust outsourcing something so important and not having any control over it.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
On the lookout for Rocks

I would think that the winning bidder would have to sign some sort of a contract for the job. You would just have to make sure that your bases are covered in the contract.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Seems like it would be cheaper to take the 35,000 combinations in pics
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
For $10K I would agree
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
Custom Carbon Fiber

Sounds about right ...... the 10k$ bids may have perks like 24hour support, site monitoring, sit down meetings and discussions before building.

Some of those online places just use the basic web tools, build it and once its delivered your on your own.

Have you tried looking around local programmers? Sometimes you can find out of work coders or side jobbers that will do the stuff for online prices and you know the works going to someone who can use it.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaugman View Post
So we are building a new website for our company, One of the tools we want allows us to change colors of a picture from a specific range of colors (125 to be exact), In 28 different designs and about 10 shapes..SO there is a TON of coding to be done.

All of this has to then be used to order the item they "designed"

We have been getting qoutes from different companies, One of the ways was to use an online auctions kind of place, You post up what you need and they give you bids.

From local companies we are getting prices of $10k-30k from these online places we are getting bids of $3k

My question is, How do you figure out what is legit or not ?

3k for any site seems unrealistic
one thing to say. I do web dev on the side and I have always said this. "If you think a professional is expensive, wait until you hire an amateur."

I would stay away from outsourcing. Remember you are paying for someone's knowledge and expertise here (the local companies). This is why half of the sites online look like they were built in the 90's, sites that are new I mean. Most cheap websites are incorrectly coded templates. You get what you pay for...
BrentH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Also, what type of company is this? How long have they been in business and how are their financials along with where they're looking to go in the future? Is this website going to move the company to the next level? I have seen companies pay in upwards of $200k for their website. It's an investment, that if done correctly can bring a quick roi, but it's NOT something that can be half ass'ed.

A designer/developer who knows what they're doing, or a company with a good reputation of doing good work, isn't going to undersell their services... hint the 3K.
BrentH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
You just multiplied them..Its to the power of...Because there are combinations of each one

28 to the power of 125 = 7.84790826 × 10180
Old 12-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentH View Post
Also, what type of company is this? How long have they been in business and how are their financials along with where they're looking to go in the future? Is this website going to move the company to the next level? I have seen companies pay in upwards of $200k for their website. It's an investment, that if done correctly can bring a quick roi, but it's NOT something that can be half ass'ed.

A designer/developer who knows what they're doing, or a company with a good reputation of doing good work, isn't going to undersell their services... hint the 3K.
I completely agree with you 100% How do i convince the $ man of this though...
Old 12-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaugman View Post
I completely agree with you 100% How do i convince the $ man of this though...
Let him use the guys bidding $3K

I'm a web nerd by trade and at my work we outsourced a bunch of CAD work to India. They did a good job for the most part, but communication via email is a pain in the ass and talking to them on the phone is just as difficult. But they were friggin' fast. CAD isn't the same as coding, but for what you guys wanna do and all the details, you might be spending much more than three grand in re-working the site just because of a little miscommunication.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote