Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: tempted to buy new 4x4 toy... (pic)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default tempted to buy new 4x4 toy... (pic)

was headed to the post office to pick up a packages and saw this at a car lot. just about drove my jeep off the road, rubber necking at it
so i whipped in and took a look.

it was a REALLY clean J10. i crawled underneith and it looked just as good there. i checked all the rails, leafs, lower fenders etc and couldnt find any rust anywhere. there where asking $5500. thoughts?

STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i would be all over that! it looks super clean like you said, and if i rember correctly those bad boys have dana 60's under them right? i think 5500.00 is a deal.
cascade crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Sometimes, I make things.

That looks to be a well cared for clean old truck but IMO the price is about 2grand north of what I would pay for it. It depends how in love w/ it you are but if your in TX like your info says, rust free old trucks are easy to find (compared to me in NY by about 1000x).

If you really like that body style, I would check out Craigslist or Autotrader even, I found my project truck on AT for what I felt was a very fair price. I bet you could find one for $2000-2500, that price even w/ a warranty is a lot IMO, parts for those old trucks are cheap, and they generally have very little failures due to the bare bones style of old trucks. I love drivin old trucks, it's awesome but it can be done for less than that if your patient.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quit posting and go buy it. Go, go on, git.
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #5

up here that truck i'd be worth 8 to 10 in that shape. they don't stay that good for that long with winters. buy it! drive it north and double your money!
Just_Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I would offer them $4k maybe and slowly go up from there, you don't have to buy the truck but they have to sell it.... And in this economy they are really pushing to try and get that much out of it, no matter how clean it is... I bet they only gave $1500 to $1800 on the trade... I miss my old J4000... If they won't budge from the price tell them to throw on an 8274 lol....
megacabcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
~THE SCALE SHOP~

cascade: ill be honest i dont know a whole lot about them. the rear end looked tiny to me, but all rear ends in trucks look tiny to me cause im used to looking at the Moser 12 bolt in my camaro.

crazy: i have no clue what normal price is for one of these. just saw it, recognized it and new it was farily rare. and in damn good shape.

gerald: not a bad idea. im actually headed to Kansas in just a week or so.

mega: it was actually on consinment at at car lot. the car lot down town, and was run by brotha's and only sold big bodies with 22s. (litterally) this thing stuck out like a sore thumb. they had no clue what it was but were very freindly and offered me the keys. but did mention it was on consiment and not theres like all the cars.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Sometimes, I make things.

8-10 grand??? That's insane, I have seen much better and more desirable trucks than that not bring half that much money in as good or better shape. In all honesty, if you want one of those trucks shop around you can probably find a good mechanically sound, drivable one w/ faded paint for $1000 if you look hard enough. I don' seet anyone paying 8-10g's for that truck, or even $5500 unless they are clueless and have way too much money to burn. I am not trying to be negative, but I have been wheelin n dealin trucks for over half my life and have never come across anyone w/ a ton of money to burn who wanted an old jeep pickup, you are mopre apt to hit the lottery than find someone who would pay 8g's plus for a stock Jeep pickup of that era, they just aren't desirable to hardly anyone. I dig em, but I like old ugly trucks.

If I have time this weekend I will do some internet scrounging and I bet in an hour I can find 8-10 of them for less than half that, that are nice trucks.

Not all of them came w/ heavy drivetrains, there were light duty and heavy duty versions. Buying things on a whim is fun but can be a bad decision if you don't know what your getting into. People put big price tags on things like that all the time hoping someone who doesn't know what they are looking at will fall in love and pay 2x what its worth.

I am not trying to sound arrogant or crush anyones dream ride, but I bought and sold more vehicles by the time I was out of high school than most people own in a lifetime, and have been around car sales my whole life, and have seen more than my fair share of good people who got screwed out of a lot of money. I enjoy seing someone drive something they love but seeing them pay too much is a sad thing.

Last edited by crazyorigin; 12-10-2010 at 01:02 PM.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

man i am digging that sweet sweet van in the back that thing is PIMP dawg

but ya that is a nice rig i would go for it at 4500 if it runs good
jokers_toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
Donkey Punch Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
the rear end looked tiny to me, but all rear ends in trucks look tiny to me cause im used to looking at Audrey's fine caboose!
I fixed it for you Fonzie!

Now quit looking at that turd and go my your honey something nice. (Please let her know I am on her side)
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
dnf

It has TX tags now,but where is it reall from??

you are in killeen,so alot of those vehicles could have arigiated anywhere.

My cousin snagged a jeep from a captian,the jeep had just spent time on the islands, had apparently done some swimming.

He bought it cheap, cleaned it up ,shined it up and sold it fast.
First thing he did was get tx tags and wash the snot out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
was headed to the post office to pick up a packages and saw this at a car lot. just about drove my jeep off the road, rubber necking at it
so i whipped in and took a look.

it was a REALLY clean J10. i crawled underneith and it looked just as good there. i checked all the rails, leafs, lower fenders etc and couldnt find any rust anywhere. there where asking $5500. thoughts?

rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
8-10 grand??? That's insane, I have seen much better and more desirable trucks than that not bring half that much money in as good or better shape.
In Texas and southern states, i totally agree, insane, but having been trying to find a half decent old truck up here for the last 2 years i can tell you, that is what it would be worth.

for that money here, it either wouldn't have an engine, or the box would be completely rusted away.

I just recently was able to find an 82 dodge from a widow that parked her husbands truck after he died. got very lucky and only had to pay $5000

Just_Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

i've seen em go for a lot more than that. i'd do it!
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Best idea mentioned yet?

Buy it & drive that b!tch north.

Make that money......
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

J 10 = half ton. Most likley dana 44's front and rear. Possible AMC 20 in the rear. Is the rear diff offset to the same side as the front or is it centered?
jeep94xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
RCC Addict

IMO...

Looks to be super clean. Almost a little too clean do a good check if you are serious about getting it. make sure it hasn't been flooded. Than do a good inspection. Figure out if it has the D44 axle in rear or the FSJ amc20. easy to identify (google it)

Second figure out what you want to do with it. Trail rig? Rock rig? mud rig? Street 4x4?
For 5500$ you can buy a good starting point for approx 2500 and drop the other 3k in some great mods to get you farther down the trail and up the rocks. BUying a larger initial investment may stop you from having the kind of fun you want with it.

Hopefully that makes sense.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #17
~THE SCALE SHOP~

jeep94, i have no clue if it was a J10, just called it that cause thats what ive seen them called here ;) my memory isnt that good but if i recall i want to say the rear pumpkin was centered.

xger, yeah low in or top end model. it seemed to be in amazing condition and a fair price for a truck ive never seen another for sale in person. you just dont see them often, and less often with a for sale sign on it.