Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: ...It's Time....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default ...It's Time....

Wasn't going to post here, but I figured after the for sale thread I will be posting soon, I will be getting PM's. So a copy and paste from ORCRC. I will still be around on the boards. Just not longer RC'ing for a while...

Much like I had to with Haley a while back, I have reached the point where I must make a decision. Something I have contemplated for well over a year, but never could bring myself to do.

So this is my fare well to you guys. The drive home from Dave's gave me a lot of time to think as it generally does. This hobby has brought me a lot of joy, but caused a lot of problems. I feel that I have put my future on hold, and ruined a lot to do this.

It's not the hobby, it's my addiction to it. I have probably spent well over $10,000 on this in the last 2 years I have competed, and have absolutely nothing to show for it, except a hobby room full of things that are of no real value. Since 05/06, when I got into it, I have helped ruin 2 relationships, put off paying off debt, neglected my pets, friends, family, health, and other things that should come before RC. Anything I planned or related, had to work around RC. My vehicles had to be able to comfortably fit RC's. I have put almost 30,000 miles on my truck this year alone..... to RC.

There are other elements about the recent changes in the competing that are pushing me out also. But this is a personal battle I must deal with first and foremost. I am completely ashamed, and disappointed in myself for letting a "Hobby" become an addiction, and ruin a lot of things for me. I cant thank enough, all the people that have helped in any form of the word. Truly great-full, from the bottom of my black heart . Although most of the hard times, that this has helped me through, have really rooted to the addiction in this, I still appreciate no less, anyone whom has helped in any way. Talking to other guys in the club that really only do this to help em through the hard times in their lives, I know how good it feels to come out and forget about the problems at home(Or the voices in the back of your head )

For those that know me a little better than just Chris The Battery Man, you would know that I am a black or white person. I either want it all, or nothing to do with it. That's how it's always been. So this is why I must get out completely. Hanging up the radio for now will not suffice. We have a funny way of justifying things in our heads. Telling ourselves we need this or that. But the cold hard black and white fact is that I don't NEED this. In fact, to better my future, and stop putting my "Real life" goals on hold, I NEED to let go.

I want to start my own business doing photography, video, and graphic design. Then move to Bend when the time is right. So that will be the next phase in my life. I actually may still come out to the comps and shoot some. Action shots are fun anyhow.

I am not going to go any further than that, because I am sure most of you, don't care. But for those that do, and I consider friends, I bid you adieu. Also, I request that you don't PM, Text, call, or email me regarding this, unless I have already talked to you about it. It will only make it harder, and I wont stick to my guns(cause you guys are too cool to wanna leave ) This upsets me literally to tears, but I will hopefully feel relief in the near future.....

Look for a for sale thread soon. I am not looking for charity, but if you wanna buy some of my Sh!t, and help contribute to the next part of my life, I wont complain
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Good luck man, I know how it is! Looking back over the past 5 years has a 6 figure dent in my pocket that I really don't like adding up. For piles and piles of toys..
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #3

Damn. That is some hardcore sh#t man. Never looked at it as an addiction but it is. See my thread and let me know how to get some one to allow me to see the forsale section so I can buy some stuff. Good luck getting through this.
Cookie Monster Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster Joe View Post
See my thread and let me know how to get some one to allow me to see the forsale section so I can buy some stuff. Good luck getting through this.
For Sale section.......
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I fully understand where you're coming from. I spent much of my life chasing the next big setup for my 1.1 Jeeps, spent thousands on parts (some of which I never even got to use) only to hit that wall where my body couldn't take it anymore and financially/family wise it just didn't make sense for my life anymore.
Good luck to you in the future, what ever it is you end up doing. You're following your heart and to that I say "SALUTE".

Hope I"ve still got some funds left to grab a memory from you. Peace.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
Suck it up!

It always sucks to see good people go, but life has to come first. Nobody can harass you for doing whats best for you.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
cherry bomb

Sad to see you go. But like youve said it has affected more then it should have. Photography is an awesome hobby. I am into it also if you can start a comPany doing that and enjoy it. That's great news. Good luck Chris it's for the better.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for all of the helpful info over the years......you will be missed.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the kind words guys. You will still see me here poking fun, being gross, and answering questions. But I must break to get my real future on track. I just have to make sure to not touch an RC, or it will be like a crack addict having a fix
Old 12-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
Suck it up!

So does that mean that CBP is going bye-bye, or is that still going to be an income source for you?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

No, working for CBP is still going to be. I like it here. The other stuff I want to do is going to be on the side. I am not going to be closed to options. If I can balance this and that, then great. But ultimately, I would like to work for myself.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

my wife and I almost split a couple months ago over rc's and rc related issues. When it starts being your life instead of a part of it, its time to get out.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

My wife gets on my about my RC habit all the time. She get's pissy about the 2 times a month that I go to run them. What's funny, is that I usually only work on them after she goes to bed, and I usually run them on Sundays when she is either working or in church.

Typically, my hobby probably only takes me away from her a total of about 10 hours per month.

She often compares me to her friends' husbands. Most of them hang out in the bars, get drunk and cheat on their wives. I can't exactly tell her that, but it's almost as if she'd rather I was a drunk that slept around.

Oh, and if it weren't for RC's I'd be back into the 1:1's where I really spent the money and time in the garage.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Best of luck and a Fond Farewell
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #15
No idea what I'm doing

I recently had to take a step back, and reevaluate things myself. Ruining relationships or your future isn't worth it, since this is supposed to be fun. Best of luck
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #16
Just jump it!

Good luck
Good to hear you will still be working somewere you like.

I hate to say it but i have been thinking of taking a break myself.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Good luck and best wishes I hope everything works out for you. I can understand where you are coming from. It's real easy to loose focus on priorities when involved with this hobby or any other hobby. I have done it myself more times than I can count. This hobby has done nothing but consume me also. Everybody has their breaking point I guess.

Good luck!
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Damn, I'm gonna miss that avatar.

Good luck to you, Chris.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Chris, Congrats on putting your long term goals ahead of your short term fun. Its going to pay off dividends in the end I promise.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

You show admirable will. I dont believe in "addictions" only in lack of will.

Knowing whats best for you and then being able to act upon it is not only a show of willpower, but another notch on the knowledge belt.

Good luck with your future & Im sure we will see you around here and there....
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote