Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Plastic Putty/hardener/filler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
WOOPOOW!!

Default Plastic Putty/hardener/filler?

Looking at restoring the plastics on my four wheeler. I dont have the money for new plastics, because thats about 300 bucks and the plastics arent broken or cracked or anything, just a little scraped up and repainted by a friend Was wondering if there was a filler I could use for the deep scratches that I could get at Home Depot or Auto Zone or something? I tried searching a bit on google but just found shit I had to order.

Quad is a 93 TRX300ex. Restoring it for a school project in auto class. Plan to sand blast and powder coat the frame/arms and put on some new Nerf bars.

The picture was taken a day after the quad was painted black, which was the same day I picked it up for a few hundred bucks NO, not stolen, I have the OG title suprisingly haha. It WAS white, and looked sexy, but my "friends" got "bored" and decided it would look better black... So im going back with white.

Any ways... suggestions on some kind of filler would be sweet, thanks

Last edited by Colby; 12-25-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I don't think there is any putty that would work, The plastics flex a lot, most putty dries hard, That's why u see cracking on bad body work.

You could do a vinyl wrap, that would make it any color and cover up any scratches.
aaugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
Who's your Daddy-0!

You could sand the scratches out then buff the plastic I've done that on my dirt bike before and it made them look like new
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Paint thinner will get that off. The kid I bought my motorcycle from thought it looked better rattle canned silver. Went through about a gallon of it. Got it done though and it looked pretty after it was back to kawasaki green.
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
WOOPOOW!!

Ive actually got it sanded down and buffed, but there are still some deep scratches. Mike, that sounds flippen awesome. Im still going to primer it white, but I would definetly do a wrap, even if its just white vinyl with some honda logos or something on it. The kid actually used the correct paint for the quad, it just scratched. Sanded it was a bitch!
Old 12-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Who's your Daddy-0!

A plastic welder will fill in the deep scratches
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
WOOPOOW!!

That would suck. Im just going to finish sanding the plastics, do a layer or two of primer and then spray gloss over it