Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Asked to leave the park because of RC, should I go back?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Asked to leave the park because of RC, should I go back?

So yesterday I took my highlift to the park because I found a great scale size rock formation there. I parked my car got out and drove my highlift across the parking lot to a little grassy section where the rocks were. I started driving around and not 5 minutes later a golf cart with two maintenance guys pulled up. Here is how the conversation went:

Them: Hi, sorry but remote controlled cars are not allowed in the park.
Me: Really? Since when?
Them: That's just a rule here.
Me: Are you kidding?
Them: No, you are going to have to take that somewhere else, you can't have that here.
Me: Wow, ummm ok.

And I walked away. The problem I have, is that it's not posted anywere or on the park rules in their brochure. I looked on their website and nothing there either. I sent a email to the park director but haven't gotten a reply. I'm not looking to cause problems but I can find no such rule written anywhere. I'm wondering if I should go back. I've taken other cars there and had no problems before. It's a Tamiya Highlift, not like it's a HPI 5B or anything. I wasn't bothering anyone, just off in my little corner of the park driving a RC car. Should I go back and try again and if I get stopped again tell them that I couldn't find any rule written anywhere? Or should I just look for another place which are few and far between here?
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Suck it up!

What kind of park is it? City owned? Privately owned?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I would go back.

If its not posted.
Contact the local city or township hall. go up there take your highlift and show them. Its a public park it shouldnt be a problem. People bring things that could cause more harm to people than RC's.

It shouldnt be a problem, they were just being dicks... Whenever I take my RC's out people think its interesting and dont usualy have any problems....
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I would go back to where you found the park rules and print them out. carry them with you then, if confronted again ask them to point out where it states they(RC vehicles) are not prohibited. Like you did before, dont be a jerk or anything. you or the maintainance people might be confused about the rules of the park. the E-mail to the park director is a really good first step. And get some names of the people you talk to as well(the ones that ran you off), might be helpful if they were being jerks.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

It's a county park. It doesn't make sense. They allow bikes, scooters, roller blades, those 4 wheel car looking bikes, but not a little RC car. I usually have no problems and I too have people come up and check it out, most people think it's pretty cool. Last time I was there this old guy on a electric wheel chair came up and started checking it out, he was really interrested and was into planes. I even pointed him to the LHS because he didn't know where it was.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOODBANE View Post
I would go back to where you found the park rules and print them out. carry them with you then, if confronted again ask them to point out where it states they(RC vehicles) are not prohibited. Like you did before, dont be a jerk or anything. you or the maintainance people might be confused about the rules of the park. the E-mail to the park director is a really good first step. And get some names of the people you talk to as well(the ones that ran you off), might be helpful if they were being jerks.
Good point.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
~THE SCALE SHOP~

agreed. print out rules, and go have fun.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
in our area it is stated no motorized vehicles. is meant for atv's and such but an rc vehicle does fall under that discription. they could of had a problem at your park with a douche with his revo trearing it up
Nish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishru View Post
in our area it is stated no motorized vehicles. is meant for atv's and such but an rc vehicle does fall under that discription. they could of had a problem at your park with a douche with his revo trearing it up
So then the old dude on the electric wheelchair can enjoy the park then? That's motorized.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

if they wanted to be assholes yes they could. almost wish they would that might just the thing to get it changed.
Nish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishru View Post
Bingo!

The probably have a blanket policy.

Go back, and if your asked again.....ask them where you can find out the details of the policy. Then leave!

Do your research, and go from there.

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 12-31-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:27 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
X2 on this solution...make them prove to you that its in their rules.
Rolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
RCC Addict

That blows...
We were running our crawlers on some rocks in a park here in Kalispell and a park ranger came up to us and we thought we would be asked to leave. Instead, the ranger played 20 questions and hung out and watched. She though it was pretty cool......
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:08 AM   #14
Custom Carbon Fiber

We have a park just north of me that is that way now. They use the blanket effect over the rule 'no motorized 4wheel vehicles'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
That blows...
We were running our crawlers on some rocks in a park here in Kalispell and a park ranger came up to us and we thought we would be asked to leave. Instead, the ranger played 20 questions and hung out and watched. She though it was pretty cool......
We had one like that at our last Scale GTG in MA. He even thanked us for being there and not out in the real woods making him actually work.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I was asked to leave my local park yesterday as well. It wasn't the first time either. I'm off in a little secluded part of the park where nobody goes unless they're on bikes and they tell me I can't use rc in the park. It's a county park and there are no rules stating I can't. However, I see people all the time using T-maxx's and such right out in front of the main office!
Blazerbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, go back. It's a public park, you've got rights too. I"ve gone to a newly scaped park and had workers come over and want to know what was going on, even a cop came to check'm out. Once it's explained how slow they go and they see them in action they're usually pretty understandable. I've also told them that we use that spot to get kids interested in crawler RC's as well and work with disabled kids that need an interactive sport too.
Go back, but really cool about it. Try and get a name of someone you talk to at the parks dept. Heck, I'd go down there with my crawler, show'm what's up and tell them you feel a bit discrimnated against but just want to get the issue resolved with out filing a leagal or formal complaint against the dept.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I assume you weren't crawling in a garden or otherwise "manicured landscape" like that, right? As long as you're not upsetting the terrain and are not in an area people shouldn't be playing, I don't see why it would be a problem. Obviously, if you were in some sort of garden area I could definitely understand the maintenance guys asking you to stop.

I suspect (like it's been said) that they have a blanket statement against RCs (1) to protect the park from damage and (2) to protect people from crazy fast RCs that could absolutely hurt someone if not handled responsibly. I doubt a crawler was what they had in mind.

Nonetheless, I would do some research and make some phone calls. Above all, be nice and respectful with whom you speak or they'll definitely not want to cooperate with you. Good luck!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I havent been to a park in Richmond that didnt allow crawlers. Most dont allow nitros because of the noise/speed.

Your crawler probably doesnt even go as fast or make as much noise as the guy in the hooveraound....

Print the rules out and take them with you if theres nothing stated in them about rc's. That should be all you need.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:39 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I would definitely take it to the higher ups lie you have. I wouldn't just go back without talking to someone first tho... If those same maintenance guys see you they may think you're being a defiant ass and cause problems for you-- and a rule against RCs may suddenly appear in writing. however, if you talk to someone higher up, or go down to the main office to discuss it, then they may be more willing to work with you.

we lost one of our best comp spots in SoCal because of a bitchy park ranger. someone that he thought was being an ass sealed the deal for us no longer being allowed to compete there.
Del Montess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Montess View Post
I would definitely take it to the higher ups lie you have. I wouldn't just go back without talking to someone first tho... If those same maintenance guys see you they may think you're being a defiant ass and cause problems for you-- and a rule against RCs may suddenly appear in writing. however, if you talk to someone higher up, or go down to the main office to discuss it, then they may be more willing to work with you.

we lost one of our best comp spots in SoCal because of a bitchy park ranger. someone that he thought was being an ass sealed the deal for us no longer being allowed to compete there.
Yup...

I'd ask for clarification on what they mean by 'no motorized vehicles', I'm sure they mean ones you can sit in and ride.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote