Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: I think I've found my new favorite YouTube channel!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default I think I've found my new favorite YouTube channel!

I've found a new favorite You Tube Channel and web site
http://11foot8.com/
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../6/fgreeUKQOts

and a little taste of what it's all about

BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Awesome!
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Nothing like seeing a box truck pull it's front tires a few feet off the ground like that, huh
Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Nice
I remember many trips back east where I had to hang out the window of the truck to make sure we'd fit under a bridge
One thing ya gotta remember.... The sign isn't always accurate.... Resurfacing a road and not grinding it down beforehand will add several inches to the deck
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
20K Club

Watched a bunch of them, wish I had that outside my office
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Kinda hard to believe they havnt done something about the bridge or dig the road down a bit.. Dude has alot of video's, I wonder what the time frame of all of them are in?
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Now that was some sunny shit, and there is ever a sign long before you get to bridge that warns them, what idiots.
abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnRockCrawler View Post
Kinda hard to believe they havnt done something about the bridge or dig the road down a bit.. Dude has alot of video's, I wonder what the time frame of all of them are in?
Getting a RR to do anything is impossible if its not for themselves. Lowering the road could have some terrible drainage/icing issues.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

"Ah f*** man I'm going to have to call you back... I just hit a bridge..."
EvilPlots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnRockCrawler View Post
From what I understand, he first started to record them in 2008, but this has been an ongoing problem for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Getting a RR to do anything is impossible if its not for themselves. Lowering the road could have some terrible drainage/icing issues.

Why should the railroad or the city/county/state have to "fix" a problem when some idiot who , for what ever reason, either doesn't know the height of their own rig or can't/won't read the damn signs causes the problems for themselves? Plus from what has been posted when asked is that there is a sewer main under the road that would have to be relocated to be able to make that dig feasible. Either way it could cost the taxpayers and or railroad millions to rectify that problem when simply slowing down, reading the posted warning, and most of all, knowing how tall your truck is would eliminate. This guy has seen plenty of people who do know what their clearances that turn onto one of the readily available side roads when they see that their truck will not clear that trestle and the "bumper" NS put up to protect it.

Last edited by BJoe; 01-03-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:23 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I work not far from Durham NC and hauling equipment usually takes us in that area. I can't fit under that bridge with the tractor I drive so we usually have to plan at least 15 mile detours around that area. But it really is that whole rail line through that area. An not all of it is marked as low bridge. I remember my first time near there taking Hwy 147 north and trying to take a right on Hwy 50 north. I was driving a 2008 W9 KW and low boy with a brand new Cat 12 M grader, Made the right on Hwy 50 and saw the sign for 13' 2" after I had already made my turn and gotten straightened out. Too bad the Grader was 13' 6" tall. Which is legal limit in NC. No other warning that it was a low bridge. Waited 3 hours for my people to get there so I could back back up and get back on 147 so I could take a detour. Durham knows this is a problem but refuses to acknowledge it. And for whatever reason, refuses to put more signs up stating it's a low bridge. These two area of this track are maybe 3 miles apart.
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #12
dkf
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The sign isn't always accurate.... Resurfacing a road and not grinding it down beforehand will add several inches to the deck
Yep. The local highway in my area was just repaved. The skipped repaving the sections under the bridges for that reason. The 6-8 bridges on that highway were made too low (I r an enginneer) and adding even one layer of blacktop on top of the concrete is a no no.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I remember some things from my OTR driving days, some Northern states, not all, for some unknown reason measure bridge height from the center of a tractor trailers front hub, or wheel center. Have no idea why the hell they would do something like that, when all other states measure from top of road to bridge. Could be the drivers were from northern states and thought they had enough clearence from hub to bridge. Just a thought.
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #14

I hope he got the insurance I am sure that truck is not cheap. I never get it just to save 20 bucks, lesson learned at someone else's expense
blowntangs is offline   Reply With Quote