Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Dont watch if you like nickleback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Dont watch if you like nickleback

http://thepunkmovie.com/webisodes/he...ut-music-today

Henry Rollins talks about the music of today.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Who gives a sh!t about "punk"?

What he said about music in general is true but its no different than any other truth....

Last edited by RANOVRU; 02-03-2011 at 08:29 PM.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

henry rollins is a god in the music world IMO, i have all the cds/tapes he ever made, i love the punk rock stuff especially lidia lunch, and the dead kennedys
honcho1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I was one of those guys that played the basement tour...6 months of my life I would never give back.....met some very cool people that really loved music like Henry was talking about. He is right about the guys that are in the basement with a borrowed 4 track and just pound out their music...I think its way better than the stuff made from multi million dollar studio..does it sound better, sure....but the music is way different.

Agent Orange was my band...that and DK, loved those guys... we opened for Grunt Truck and Suicidal Tendancies and had a blast, that was back in 88ish...the coolest guys we met were Alice and Chains..before they made it big.

Last edited by squatch71; 02-03-2011 at 10:51 PM.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
he is right about the guys that are in the basement with a borrowed 4 track and just pound out their music...i think its way better than the stuff made from multi million dollar studio..does it sound better, sure....but the music is way different.

x2327898711!!!!!
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

fawk NickleBack
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Talk about selling out. After he raped Peg Bundy, its all been down hill.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Rollins is a great story teller.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I like Henry Rollins and respect his views on shit, but I have to disagree when he says music is doing great right now. I think all music is at its worst right now. There is nothing that is new out there. Im 31 years old so Ive got to see some cool changes in music. Whatever that electronic shit was in the 80's to the hair bands, the creation of rap, to grunge to gangster rap, to gay boy bands etc.. Someof the stuff sucked, some was awesome but it was different. IMO nothing different has came out in like the past 10 or so years that has really been any good. I think people like to blame the internet and radio's for hurting the music scene but in all actuality, I think its just shitty music.

I havnt listened to the normal radio for probably a good 6 years, actually since I was a Dj on a radio station, nor do I have any intentions to because the radio is nothing more than a giant promotional tool now. Same songs over and over to push record sales of ignorant kids who can actually stand to listen to the radio play the same 10 songs every hour.
There is some decent music out there, but its not in abundance like it was. A person has to go and search for it and sift through tons of garbage bands/people to find good stuff. Which is pretty sad. Sad that the past few generations havnt really had a iconic figure that stands out who is truly talented. Just a bunch of fad d-bags that make a couple hits, get rich and fade away until the next fad d-bag walks in.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnRockCrawler View Post
I like Henry Rollins and respect his views on shit, but I have to disagree when he says music is doing great right now. I think all music is at its worst right now. There is nothing that is new out there. Im 31 years old so Ive got to see some cool changes in music. Whatever that electronic shit was in the 80's to the hair bands, the creation of rap, to grunge to gangster rap, to gay boy bands etc.. Someof the stuff sucked, some was awesome but it was different. IMO nothing different has came out in like the past 10 or so years that has really been any good. I think people like to blame the internet and radio's for hurting the music scene but in all actuality, I think its just shitty music.

I havnt listened to the normal radio for probably a good 6 years, actually since I was a Dj on a radio station, nor do I have any intentions to because the radio is nothing more than a giant promotional tool now. Same songs over and over to push record sales of ignorant kids who can actually stand to listen to the radio play the same 10 songs every hour.
There is some decent music out there, but its not in abundance like it was. A person has to go and search for it and sift through tons of garbage bands/people to find good stuff. Which is pretty sad. Sad that the past few generations havnt really had a iconic figure that stands out who is truly talented. Just a bunch of fad d-bags that make a couple hits, get rich and fade away until the next fad d-bag walks in.
guess what.. the radio played shit back in the 60s and 70s as well.
obviously if you look back on it now only the good shit survives the test of time and the archies have long been forgotten.

does anyone still listen to britney spears or n sync? no.
do you think any one will be saying OMG IM SO FLY LIKE A G6 5 years from now? no.

oh and if you dont think music today is any good you aren't looking hard enough.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i was hoping for a youtube link to something like "sellout" by Bobaflex...it rips nickleback too thank God for satellite radio and metal stations.
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post
oh and if you dont think music today is any good you aren't looking hard enough.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped453 View Post
fawk NickleBack
X2!
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #14
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
I was one of those guys that played the basement tour...6 months of my life I would never give back.....met some very cool people that really loved music like Henry was talking about. He is right about the guys that are in the basement with a borrowed 4 track and just pound out their music...I think its way better than the stuff made from multi million dollar studio..does it sound better, sure....but the music is way different.

Agent Orange was my band...that and DK, loved those guys... we opened for Grunt Truck and Suicidal Tendancies and had a blast, that was back in 88ish...the coolest guys we met were Alice and Chains..before they made it big.
X2 Agent Orange was one of my favorites back in the day.
RPMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped453 View Post
fawk NickleBack
x3...gay to da izzle or whatever
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I agree 100%, but in the end music is just like any other "art" it is totally subjective. All the music snobs are as bad as the corporate music suckers. You are all convinced yours is better than theirs but in the end who really gives a shit. People like what they like. You can say “that music is for the mindless followers”, but go to a punk show and I will show you just as many mindless followers. For anyone to stand up and say this music is the only music is arrogant and contrary to the punk ethos I grew up on. There is great music to be had in any genre you just have to open you mind, and drop your ego to hear it.

By the way I think Nickleback sucks
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Music has come full circle. Theres no originality, love and respect in it anymore. I agree with a few things Rollins said. He keeps it real. I met him in the Miami Airport a year ago. How you saw him on film is the way he really is. Today its all about making a buck and selling your soul to get there. Theres a number of bands,rappers and singers I could list that make me sick. People lay down a track...record it clean it....Stamp it...brand it and ship it. Then repeat it over in 4 months. Now its kids with a little bit of cash, mac book and sometimes no real instrument....And BAM....one hit wonder.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post

I think that is the point...machinehead is not a sell out..they make great music...and not one second of radio play here...yes we have a rock/metal station..and yes, they play every nickleback and disturbed song they have.

yep, if you find any music you like then that is great..some of the "nonmainstream" music has heart..does the main stream??? I'm not going to bash them, but there are a few that had popy little tunes..like trixster...where are they...

its not even metal..there are some really good r&b groups there that get no radio play..Im sure theres some country out there as well..its not just punk and metal.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

machine head did sell out. listen to supercharger UGGGHHH.

And like I said the garbage from the 60s 70s is all forgotten, whats left is cherrypicked perfection of the era.
some of what we think of today as the best songs wasnt ever that popular on the radio back then..
gimme shelter was never even released as a single.

guess what the number 1 song in 1969 was?

nope yorue wrong sugar sugar - the archies

saying music on the radio sucks today and all the best shit came out in the 70s or w/e is ridiculous.
pop music now sucks just as much as it did back then. whats the problem?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

i think the rock stations on the fm channels should play (the clash) all day everyday, i mean i like some of todays so called metal and punk but if i had to shoose a set type of music it would be that of pink floyd, janis joplin, and so forth, my dad raised me on CCR , dio, black sabbath, pink floyd, ac/dc, that is all great music
honcho1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote