Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: The Miracle of Hearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default The Miracle of Hearing

My daughter is one of many children born each year deaf. Thankfully a company called Cochlear has given her the ability to hear since she was 2yrs old. Now she is 10 and has both ears implanted and to talk to her you would never know she has any hearing loss. This week we have spent a great week in Disney World with a Cochlear Celebration. Their is over 1000 people that either have or are family to implant recipients. Its utterly amazing what they have done over the last 20yrs in earing.
Post up if you have/know anyone with Cochlear or other implanted hearing systems
greencrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Suck it up!

Awesome. Technology FTW.

Though my wife says a true miracle would be something to fix selective hearing. I think she was talking about me. Not sure though, I wasn't really paying attention...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Release your anger..

All you need is some rocking speakers so she can appreciate the wonders of loud music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Though my wife says a true miracle would be something to fix selective hearing. I think she was talking about me. Not sure though, I wasn't really paying attention...
That's not selective hearing, I believe the scientific term is attention-span-small or ASS.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
MODERATOR™

That is absolutely fantastic.

I had to look up what it was though...

Quote:
A cochlear implant (CI) is a surgically implanted electronic device that provides a sense of sound to a person who is profoundly deaf or severely hard of hearing. The cochlear implant is often referred to as a bionic ear.
As of April 2009, approximately 188,000 people worldwide had received cochlear implants;[1] in the United States, about 30,000 adults and over 30,000 children are recipients.[2] The vast majority are in developed countries due to the high cost of the device, surgery and post-implantation therapy. A small but growing segment of recipients have bilateral implants (one implant in each cochlea).[3]

That's really cool.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencrawler View Post
My daughter is one of many children born each year deaf. Thankfully a company called Cochlear has given her the ability to hear since she was 2yrs old. Now she is 10 and has both ears implanted and to talk to her you would never know she has any hearing loss. This week we have spent a great week in Disney World with a Cochlear Celebration. Their is over 1000 people that either have or are family to implant recipients. Its utterly amazing what they have done over the last 20yrs in earing.
Post up if you have/know anyone with Cochlear or other implanted hearing systems
That's awesome news, man! Very happy for you and especially your daughter.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote