Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Smart phone privacy risk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Oppan Gangnam Style

Default Smart phone privacy risk

Not sure if this has been posted already but none the less, it should be brought up again. This was sent to me by a friend yesterday. There are all kinds of messed up people out there and for the sake of your loved ones and especially your kids, please watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vARzvWxwY
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Well yes this is a risk but I really hate the alarmist way the news is presented, which is why I don't watch the news anymore. They had no reason to bring their cameras over to that lady's house unannounced and harass her. Turn off the geodata on your phone and be careful about who your "friends" are on facebook also limit who can actually see your pictures. Finally here is a video on how to strip meta data from your pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQqD0XULptk
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post
Well yes this is a risk but I really hate the alarmist way the news is presented, which is why I don't watch the news anymore. They had no reason to bring their cameras over to that lady's house unannounced and harass her. Turn off the geodata on your phone and be careful about who your "friends" are on facebook also limit who can actually see your pictures. Finally here is a video on how to strip meta data from your pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQqD0XULptk
I agree that they presented in an overly dramatic way. And maybe I seem more concerned than you about this but I have good reason. About 10 years ago a friends daughter was the victim of a stalker (she was 15 at the time). It started innocently enough with notes and flowers but became more serious as time went on. The police were notified and not much was done until a neighbor saw someone snooping around their house. They arrested a 38 year old guy a few days later trying to get in their house.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted already but none the less, it should be brought up again. This was sent to me by a friend yesterday. There are all kinds of messed up people out there and for the sake of your loved ones and especially your kids, please watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vARzvWxwY
good job dude there are to mant sick f#### out there.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

woah that is pretty terrifying and you're right I don't have much reason to be concerned about this right now (no kids, no smartphone). I just wish the news could present information in a way to emphasize importance without being alarmist. You notice they spent almost no time explaining how to deactivate the geodata. Please be smart about technology there's a lot going on behind the scenes.

Here are specific instructions to turn off geotagging for photos on the iphone:

http://www.thoughtshots.com/2010/07/...n-your-photos/

Last edited by forbid89; 03-03-2011 at 01:21 PM.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Really scary for parents
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I heard about some new snoop apps out there that are being marketed toward people who think their significant other is cheating. You load the app on their phone and can basically track them from a computer, receiving e-mails of their texts and call logs, as well as instant GPS location.

I see bad things in the future with stuff like that.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Ive always wondered about having the Google Locater always on in order to run some apps. It also runs when no apps are running. Makes me feel kinda vulnerable....

I really dont send that many pics straight from my phone to the net. They usually all end up tampered with on the pc before they see the web. And its not like just anyone can right click on a photo & do this, according to the report. You have to know what software to have & where to get it in order to convert the file info.

It is crazy to think this could happen, kids or no kids. But I do think the media exasserbated it a bit much.

And people thought big brother watching was bad....what until the public catches up with technology.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
I really dont send that many pics straight from my phone to the net. They usually all end up tampered with on the pc before they see the web. And its not like just anyone can right click on a photo & do this, according to the report. You have to know what software to have & where to get it in order to convert the file info.
The information is still there after you mess with the file....I have tried it. I have sent pictures from my phone to my email, messed with them in an editing program, changed the format, then loaded them to photobucket. The GPS link (which pulls up google maps) is still there.....and yes, anyone can see this photo if it is in a folder that you have made public.

The best way around this is to either, as the video says, turn off tracking on your phone, or load these images to only Private folders...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Android phones will let you turn off gps stamping on pics.
chris_dishmon is offline   Reply With Quote